PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! DONZI info needed

Cool Breeze
09-30-2002, 07:59 AM
Tks for all of you who responded earlier. I'm seriously looking at an old Donzi. Will have all info/pix posted soon. I have a few questions and I've lost my "Donzis for Dummies" book. Do the small block Chevy engines rotate same as auto or do they counter-rotate? Donzi I'm looking at, the engine is cooked and I have several racing engines (Chevy 350 & 358 CID)fresh off dyno. I'll have to de-tune to run on pump gas, but still should get +450 hp with large carb. I have NEVER driven a Donzi, NEVER ridden in one and have only seen one of the lake we live on in 13 years. did Donzi make "Jet Drive" 16-18' boats?
Regards,

Cool Breeze

PS. I do know it doesn't matter how much HP your engine has, if you can't get it to the prop/Jet and they stand up, its wasted $$$. The engine I want to use was +$30K new off dyno (No carb, intake, exhaust...) It had 450 laps and was re-freshened and ready to go!!

mattyboy
09-30-2002, 08:25 AM
yes they did make jet 16-18 but they are not common, I'm not sure about the rotation thing but don't recall ever hearing about reverse rotation.
there are some other differences in marine engines as far as materials used more stainless and with the water passages. The guys here will know more. plus on the older boats with Volvos the drive could be switched easily from LH to RH
good luck on your search and if you get yourself to a get together I'm sure a ride can be arranged,
it's a great big family

Matt

Rodger
09-30-2002, 08:37 AM
Almost for sure it's a standard rotation engine. I don't think I have ever seen a reverse rotation IO or jet drive.

smoothie
09-30-2002, 08:56 AM
horsepower rules wink if there is a will there is a way...we need to know what you have hanging on the back (outdrive) and then go from there.

AVickers
09-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Generally, standard rotation on Single Engine setups.

Horsepower is fine, but remember that you'll best be turning around 5000 Rs. If your motors are making all their power at 6500 RPM, it'll get lost in the swirl...

Also, you'll need a cam that doesn't have a lot of overlap. Boats run wet exhaust systems and there is a possiblity of reversion (the engine sucking water in an exhaust port when idling) with big-time valve overlap -- not a good thing.