PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadians

yembo77
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Do any of you guys run your Donzi around Niagara Falls? There's the river there but also lake Ontario or Erie. I don't know the area at all but the family and I are planning a trip there and debating whether or not to trailer the boat up. We think it would be nice, but don't know. I remember a lot of guys from the 1000 islands area chiming in on discussions and many of them coming from the Canadian side. I see on the map that that's no where near the Niagara area but much closer to home than for me down by NYC.

Would appreciate any help or links for good launch ramps, camping, etc.

Thanks,
Matt Hjembo

glashole
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
are you looking to do some boating in 1000 isles or near niargra?

if niagra there are alot of cool spots to visit ( toronto, port dalhousie, niagra by the lake) but you are limited by the lake(either one) and weather (wind etc) as there really aren't alot of places to hide from it

Also there aren't alot of rivers that would be big enough for you to actually stretch the legs on your boat in the niagra area

yembo77
06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Looking to run on lake Ontario. The boating sCene looks to be a good one but don't know where to go or sights to see. What is Niagara on the lake? We might stay by there or else closer to the falls. Any good spots to hit would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

MOP
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
The big lakes can be some rough, in the 1000 Islands there is always some place to run. Yes it has its rough spots on windy days but has a lot of other calm spots. It is also one of the most beautiful places to boat.

glashole
06-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Matt

what specifically are you looking to see

look up the places i told you and see if there is anything you want to see in those areas

toronto harbour
port dalhousie
hamilton
buffalo
rochester

if these places don't have what you are looking for you might want to reconsider running in this area

also the lake can blow up pretty quick so you will want to be able to duck into a harbour if need be
although its fun for a while, the big waves get old on the crew in a hurry

if you want to just tour around and look at stuff, you might want to think more about the 1000 islands area like Mop was saying

yembo77
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok I nailed it down to Niagara on the Lake area. Unfortunately I won't be there on the weekend when the poker run takes place but it must be a decent area for boating if they do a poker run there? I don't know what I expect to see I just wanted to takenthe family for a cruise in that area and wondered if it was worth trailering all the way out there. Perhaps I'll save the trip and head for the 1000 islands region around labor day?

Ed Donnelly
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Lots of motels just west of Toronto (Mississauga)
Launch in Port Credit If the Lake is nasty you can hug the shoreline. Lots to see in Toronto. You can dock at Ontario Place. Go through the islands. Dock at Center Island and go to Centre Ville Amusement Park

Great place for kids.........................Ed

yembo77
06-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys. I was concerned with the fury of the lake so an area with islands and some ports sounds like a good idea. We'll all have our passports with us.

Thanks!,
Matt

CHACHI
06-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Matt, when you gong to be heading up to the Thousand Islands?

Ken

white elephant
07-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Stick to One Country or another Passports are req and also special Entry Points.
I would trailer to 1000,s Islands and Have a Great Boating Time, A Bay once there check out Castle etc.
If You Dont follow the Rules large fines or Boat Impoundment when crossing unannounced.
Lake Ontario Is Over 150 miles long She's a Great Lake,,,,,,,