PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Visitor

MOP
06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
First time visit from out local black squirrel, we have only seen him in the woods near by. Bonnie has been tossing nut in the woods when she walks the dog, he probably followed the trail we hope he comes frequently!

gcarter
06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
I have about 100,000 you can have!!!!!

Whatever you hope this "tree rat" does, it'll turn out to be a thousand times worse!!

Conquistador_del_mar
06-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I can't say I have ever seen a black one, but the taxidermist I used a few years ago had done 2 albino squirrels over his career. In fact he had one that the customer never picked up so I got to see it.

Ed Donnelly
06-17-2013, 01:43 AM
I have about 100,000 you can have!!!!!

Whatever you hope this "tree rat" does, it'll turn out to be a thousand times worse!!

Those must be the famous Canadian clan

England now realize the mistake they made when they imported 100 of them from Canada and they
kind of took over They number in the thousands now..Ed

Nick275
06-23-2013, 05:44 PM
First time visit from out local black squirrel, we have only seen him in the woods near by. Bonnie has been tossing nut in the woods when she walks the dog, he probably followed the trail we hope he comes frequently!

We used to feed the squirrels when we lived in Maryland. We had a feeder on a tree in our front yard that held an ear of corn and the squirrels would sit and eat like they were at a table. Really cute.

One winter day I was traipsing through the snow taking a look at the outside of the house and the eaves. There was a hole about six inches square in the T-111 siding at almost roof level next to the chimney. I had no sooner called a carpenter to fix the siding when the porch lights went out. Long story short: hiring a trapper to get a family of seven squirrels out of my attic and off my property = $700; siding repair = $600; hiring an electrician to crawl around in the attic and replace the chewed wire = $750. I was lucky there was no fire.

I don't recommend anyone enticing squirrels to congregate on their property.

penbroke
06-23-2013, 08:17 PM
I've never seen a black one either. We don't encourage any of them to hang around though...

Frank

olredalert
06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
----The black squirrels are more agressive than brown ones. Eventually they drive the brown ones away. We have seen this here in Michigan.The brownies are still around but are very wary of the blackies.........Bill S