PDA

View Full Version : X-18 steering wheel torque

smidgen too
06-14-2013, 09:18 PM
When running my sons X-18 I have found it has a lot of steering wheel torque to the left. The X-18 is running a left hand 15 5/8 21 pitch Solas 3 blade prop with a Volvo 270t drive. The drive has a torque tab clocked slightly to the right, if moved more to the right the prop blows out & the Donzi will go hard left. Has anyone experience this before ?? It's been 40 years since I have owned a classic Donzi but don't remember having this problem with my 16'. Any info would be appreciated.

Mark

Donzi_Dude
06-14-2013, 09:26 PM
did you try spinning it right?

:biggrin.:

smidgen too
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM
I have right hand nibrow props [15x23p, & 15x21p.14x21p] I could try.

rr1048
06-15-2013, 01:06 AM
I have owned multiple 18' Donzi 2 + 3's and they always had a tremendous amount of torgue. The Volvo drives without power steering and power trim always gave me a workout. My friends had Donzi x18's with trs drives,power steering and trim and they drove like a Cadilliac compared to my 18.

Donzi_Dude
06-15-2013, 05:55 AM
I have owned multiple 18' Donzi 2 + 3's and they always had a tremendous amount of torgue. The Volvo drives without power steering and power trim always gave me a workout. My friends had Donzi x18's with trs drives,power steering and trim and they drove like a Cadilliac compared to my 18.

what direction did you spin it? what direction did they spin it?

just dont look for any support around here. its against their religion to spin it right.

:wink:

MOP
06-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Frank "Mr Penbroke" designed a tab that did a decent job of taming the steering, do a search it should turn up.

gcarter
06-15-2013, 10:04 AM
I remember I once lost a PS belt on the Minx!
Boy, was that a handful!
You not only had to fight the torque, but also the dead hydraulic steering cylinder.

superhatz
06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Mark...I'm not sure why but I drove an X-18 with a Volvo (no power) and it was perfect...no torque steer. So, it is possible. I'm hoping when I get my 18 done, it doesn't give me too much trouble...

A

smidgen too
06-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Aaron I did not have it in my 16' Donzi, but I was running a aluminum prop. I have had the same problem with my twin engine Donzi Doral with mechanical steering, it may be due to the Solas props, as I ran Jeff's props on the Doral last summer. I know a Hynautic system would fix it but that's last resort.

MOP
06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Aaron I did not have it in my 16' Donzi, but I was running a aluminum prop. I have had the same problem with my twin engine Donzi Doral with mechanical steering, it may be due to the Solas props, as I ran Jeff's props on the Doral last summer. I know a Hynautic system would fix it but that's last resort.

You should have equal torque with twins unless you are spinning them the same direction, spinning them the same direction will give you a lot of torque and cost you some speed.

smidgen too
06-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Mop right you are about twins but the Doral has counter rotating props turning outward but it still torques to the left. I have had 10 twin engine offshore boats but the Doral is the only one with mechanical steering with that problem.. My luck the X-18 has it too.

maddad
06-15-2013, 03:39 PM
The tab needs to be angled to the left/port side so the thrust from the prop leans on the drive and balances the props torque instead of increasing it.

Morgan's Cloud
06-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Throughout the 70's and most of the 80's my pops had a twin Volvo powered sport boat with counter rotating 270's and no power steering. I battled for years to adjust the torque out of the steering using the exhaust outlet/tabs but never succeeded. Driving that thing was a bear.

(Did someone say 'buy a D/P unit ? :D )

MOP
06-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Mop right you are about twins but the Doral has counter rotating props turning outward but it still torques to the left. I have had 10 twin engine offshore boats but the Doral is the only one with mechanical steering with that problem.. My luck the X-18 has it too.

Check your toe in, it should be set at 9/16" with both tabs straight no offset. Volvo's have always needed more than most, below is a great shop manual link look down about pg. 140. The link is great for all Volvo owners!

http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/volvo%20penta%20workshop%20manual.pdf

Phil