PDA

View Full Version : Dry land or rack sinking, Ooops I forgot the plug!

MOP
06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
This is a re-post of what I did years back, I watched in awe seeing both my bilge pumps running like crazy during a heavy 1K rain storm. I had both a 1500gph and a 2500gph pumps both running like like crazy, they are both wired to independent batteries. It lead me to install hatch drains, I realized near 1/2 the rain ended up going into my bilge. The hatch it's self is about 25% of the deck area then add the run off from the cover, add the two together over half the rain is directed into our bilges. That lead to me installing deck drains! With many rack boats it is hard to reach the plug and many forget on the trailer, I know that I do at times but now have very little staying in the bilge.

JayZ
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
How many places does your drain exit? Looks like you have it branching off into four different exits.

...was wondering if very many people bothered with two pumps. Being a sailboat guy who likes redundancy I am installing a second pump (and 2nd battery)

MOP
06-11-2013, 08:59 AM
One drain at each rear corner, one has it's own through hull, the other is routed to the low side of the loop for the bilge pump. Have yet to see the pumps run again in a rain storm!

geage
06-11-2013, 09:30 AM
nice job , I need to do this , mine also filled up [ A LOT ],my pump didnt come on and I would of sunk like a rock if I didnt check it last time I went out

Ghost
06-11-2013, 10:16 AM
That's a really good idea, thanks.

(Also for rack storage folks, where you have to take your shots at draining the bilge when you can, I recommend having a fleet of small adjustable wrenches. One in the glovebox of every vehicle and also in the boat bag.)

BUIZILLA
06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
just leave the plug out,,,, :biggrin:

Morgan's Cloud
06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
On the Magnum the only way rain water can get inside is via the gutter under the deck hatch. (about 4 sq feet)
The cover goes over the windscreen all the way to the transom and is completely water proof stamoid.
It's amazing how much water I can find in the bilge after a half or one inch downpour.
So I can well imagine what your boat was doing collecting the water Phil.

One day I'd like to find a machinist who can make me a micro small stainless through hull drain fitting that I can connect the existing tube to and mount on the hull up near the towing eye.

Nothing like always finding a bone dry bilge when you go to start your boating day.

MOP
06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
All Classics have this problem, surprised Donzi never addressed it!!!

hardcrab
06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
just leave the plug out,,,, :biggrin:

I know of a boat that "sunk on the trailer", submerged the engine. :bawling:
Remove the plug when on a trailer or lift if it's going to be unattended, ............... cheap insurance!

.............. then hang the plug on the steering wheel or somewhere obvious so the opposite problem won't happen.