PDA

View Full Version : Zieger external steering + blackhawk drive?

AGCF
06-10-2013, 04:32 AM
I just got my double ram Zieger steering delivered and now I need to fit it to my Blackhawk drive, like this gentleman:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68242-Black-Hawk-Drive-31p-props-and-steering-cylinder
Where do I get that bracket that fits to the top plate? It must be custom made? The one I got from Everett replaces the back plate where you can see the gears inside if you open it, and this doesn't look the same on the Blackhawk. On the other hand, when I look at Everett upcoming steering for the newer Bravo drives they have solved it in a way similar to the thread I pasted above.

Anyone who can give me an advise? I have a friend who can make a custom plate from a blueprint which would be the easiest thing. But it has to be perfect off course.

I have tried to e-mail Everett Performance but I keep getting them in return by the server. Also tried their "contact us" a few days ago. Waiting for a reply there. Anyone got a working E-mail for Paul Everett? I would rather not call because I have to google for the right words all the time (I'm Swedish)..

:sweden:

craigdskilling
06-15-2013, 06:26 AM
AGCF i hope you have figured out the problem with the blackhawk sterring i too have a blackhawk and need sterring for it.if you get it worked out could you let me thanks craig.

yeller
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Why not just use a wingplate like the one I used (post #3) in the link you posted? I'm guessing any Bravo wingplate will fit the BH. A wingplate bolts to the drive mounting bolts which is the same for Bravo and BH.

AGCF
06-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input. I have now googled bravo wingplate. Found one, looks like they cost around 800 USD + shipping and I guess that would work as long as it doesn't interfere with the rear cover which is more streamlined and goes farther back on the BH. A cheaper option that also seems more stable to me is making a flat quarter inch plate that fints on top of the top cover of the drive. basically a plate with four holes to bolt it to the drive and another set of holes to bolt it to the steering parts. My friend can make this in Sweden. Is there any downside with this option? Does the top plate get very hot? is it not suited for mounting things to?

Thanks

yeller
06-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Wow $800! Definately cheaper to have one made. I think mine was about $150 (but that was around 6yrs ago). Mine was from WPM, but don't think they are in business anymore. If you do get a wingplate, it will fit the BH.....at least mine did. I only had to grind a very small amount off the wingplate to clear the "sloped" part of the housing.

Wingplates are stronger than endplates (or top caps), but most systems use endplates, so I don't really see much of a downside to making a plate the way you are thinking. If you're getting it custom made, you might want to consider keeping the existing top cap and bolt yours on top with a fitting to act as a drive shower also.

Conquistador_del_mar
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the input. I have now googled bravo wingplate. Found one, looks like they cost around 800 USD + shipping and I guess that would work as long as it doesn't interfere with the rear cover which is more streamlined and goes farther back on the BH. A cheaper option that also seems more stable to me is making a flat quarter inch plate that fints on top of the top cover of the drive. basically a plate with four holes to bolt it to the drive and another set of holes to bolt it to the steering parts. My friend can make this in Sweden. Is there any downside with this option? Does the top plate get very hot? is it not suited for mounting things to?

Thanks

I bought this stainless "wingplate" I thought from IMCO, but I can not seem to find it now - definitely not nearly $800. It was not exactly how I needed it so I got some welders to modify it for my pupose and I polished it back out. I am almost certain it is 3/8" stainless and came with the drive shower hole and spacers. Bill

AGCF
06-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I have another question about the steering. The steering rams has to be at the same height as the axis of the drive trim doesn't it? Otherwise the rams will prevent the drive from trimming up and down or am I making a mistake here? The thing is that the k-planes are at the same height so the rams will be very narrow to the drive..

yeller
06-29-2013, 09:38 AM
You want the rams to be level when the drive is at neutral trim. You can be off by a bit, but if you're talking a couple inches then you may need to consider fabricating a special transum mount or get shorter rams to fit inside the Kplanes. How far away from the drive can you mount the rams before hitting the Kplanes? What boat do you have? Most 22C's require a shorter ram. If you go back to my pic (post 3) in your linked thread you can see my rams are mounted closer to the drive than most boats. If you want a measurement, let me know.

......if you want more responses, you can try posting in the performance section. Not everyone looks in the wanted section.

AGCF
07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
It's a 22C blackhawk edition. I still need a plate to fit the rams to the drive. Just got an answer from Latham saying they don't make plates that fit the Blackhawk but they used to. Trying to get the blueprints for that one. It was called PLSD-1263. The rams will go inside the k-planes so and it will be very close like in yellers picture or even closer.

glashole
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
76516this is what mine looked like if that helps at all can't remember the manufacturer but I am sure someone can pick it out by the logo

Shea

AGCF
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
That steering is Zieger, same as mine. But they changed their design.. Getting that plate from them would be ideal, but they don't answer questions on their contact form it seems. Neither of their e-mails are working.

undertaker
07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
AGCF, call Paul Everett he is great to work with and will send you the drive plate. That plate is there new plate they have now on there systems, I have the same steering & plate on my 22 classic. I believe back in 2008 when I put my steering on the drive plates were around $500....

Paul Everett
419-621-7770
Paul@EverettPerformance.com

Good luck

Undertaker

undertaker
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Here is his website www.everettperformance.com

Here is the page on his site with the drive plate you need http://www.everettperformance.com/Zeiger_Performance_marine/Winter_2008/New_Bravo_P-07.asp

Hope this helps.

Undertaker