PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water in the Bildge.... long term trouble?!

ANGUS
06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
I just came back from the boat which I left on the trailer with a cover last weekend BUT failed to remove the drain plug...well it rained hard and I found 10" of rain in the bildge at the transom. I am sure the starter was partially or fully submerged (K/C 454). I checked the oil dipstick and the oil looks fine. I drained the bildge, started it and let it run about 20 minutes on a hose. Should I do something more? Am I going to have trouble show up as a result of this? I can't believe the timing I never leave the plug in but I came in late last Saturday and forgot to remove it. Also does anyone know what bulb goes in the bow light on a 22C. Thanks in advance for your replies. Won't make this mistake again! Angus:eek:

JayZ
06-09-2013, 11:27 PM
I just came back from the boat which I left on the trailer with a cover last weekend BUT failed to remove the drain plug...well it rained hard and I found 10" of rain in the bildge at the transom. I am sure the starter was partially or fully submerged (K/C 454). I checked the oil dipstick and the oil looks fine. I drained the bildge, started it and let it run about 20 minutes on a hose. Should I do something more? Am I going to have trouble show up as a result of this? I can't believe the timing I never leave the plug in but I came in late last Saturday and forgot to remove it. Also does anyone know what bulb goes in the bow light on a 22C. Thanks in advance for your replies. Won't make this mistake again! Angus:eek:

Probably no probem is my opinion.

f_inscreenname
06-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Ya, unless you had an oil leak out there is no way for it to get in besides over toping the motor and down the carb.

biggiefl
06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Actually it will come in the dipstick tube but since your oil is clean, it is clean. Start saving for a new starter.

roadtrip se
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Typically, the solenoid is what goes in a circumstance like this. Not the end of the world, other than getting to the bugger to change it out.

ANGUS
06-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Typically, the solenoid is what goes in a circumstance like this. Not the end of the world, other than getting to the bugger to change it out.

Thanks for the replies....any reason to worry about water getting into the gimbal beariing?

gcarter
06-11-2013, 06:47 AM
There's a shaft seal on the driveshaft to eliminate any water fom inside the boat getting into the bearing.

MOP
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Being a F/W dip you have little to worry about, the starter can be opened up cleaned and re-lubed done it tons of times in salt. A thought if you have the old fat boy starter you may want to swap to a MUCH lighter Hi Torque, they are a whole lot easier to change out. Like George said there is a seal it's primary function is to retain the grease, the lips do face outward there could be slight leakage. The leakage would depend on how old the seal is and how long it was submerged, again in F/W doubtful much corrosion. Give the gimble bearing a few shots of grease that should force any water out. If you go the H/T starter route make sure they give you the close tolerance bolts, the H/T does not have the support bracket like the fat boy.

biggiefl
06-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I just replaced my H/T with a fatboy as they don't make the smaller units anymore. Too many problems I was told.

Pismo
06-11-2013, 07:26 PM
If it was amerc you would need a new gimbal bearing in afew years but i dont know about a KC.

ANGUS
06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
If it was amerc you would need a new gimbal bearing in afew years but i dont know about a KC.

I think I will pull the drive to inspect the bearing for water...I am hoping it is water free, but I will worry a lot less while under way once inspected. If I find anything significant I will post..if not thanks to all who replied. Angus

Pismo
06-12-2013, 06:09 PM
I think I will pull the drive to inspect the bearing for water...I am hoping it is water free, but I will worry a lot less while under way once inspected. If I find anything significant I will post..if not thanks to all who replied. Angus

If the bearing or the area around it are wet then the bearing is done. It wil still work fine for a couple years and thenstart to howl so change it now if u find water. Cheap anyhow.