PDA

View Full Version : SI hockey article...June 10th issue

Tony
06-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Steve Rushin writes an amazing cover story in this week's Sports Illustrated. Many outstanding phrases and references are cleverly composed, including describing Zedno Chara as "an Easter Island statue on casters"!

Covered topics include beards, OT, pain, Kronwallings, "urgency", game 7's, teeth, "airborne seafood in Detroit", handshakes, and many other themes faithful fans are fond of.

I can't find the whole article online yet, just get a hold of the issue.
YMMV, but I call it a must read.

In a similar vein, here is another writer's 20 reasons why hockey is the best postseason in sports:
http://nhl.si.com/2013/06/05/the-20-reasons-why-the-nhl-playoffs-form-the-best-postseason-in-sports/?sct=obinsite (http://nhl.si.com/2013/06/05/the-20-reasons-why-the-nhl-playoffs-form-the-best-postseason-in-sports/?sct=obinsite)

The Bees look awful good while putting the hurt on Cindy Crosby and the vaunted Pens.
Kings trying to get back into it vs. the Blackhawks.

Wings win a game 7 against the 2-seed Sharks, then lose a painful overtime game 7 against the top-seeded Blackhawks.

In the first round the Maple Leafs pull off what was, arguably, the worst collapse in the history of game 7's...giving up 3 goals in the final 10 minutes of regulation and losing in overtime!

Tidbart
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I have been watching every game I can for the last couple of weeks. For the most part, I have been watching some great hockey. I don't get a lot of hockey here in FL until the playoffs.

LA's not in a good place after last night and the Bruins are in the driver seat even after a not-so-hot performance on Wednesday. They did outlast the Pens, though, and that is what counts.

Looks like Bruins and Blackhawks at this point.

Boston Strong!

B

Tony
06-07-2013, 08:41 AM
An Original Six tilt between the Bees and the 'Hawks would be nice.

With next season's re-alignment the Wings move east, and lose a decent rivalry with Chicago, but enter a division with four Original Six teams. So that will be cool moving forward.

I'm definitely pulling for Boston. I think Kane is a punk (google him in Madison, WI), and Hossa is a diver. I used to respect Toews, but lost it when Zetterburg shut him down and turned him into a whining baby.

Duncan Keith and Torey Krug, ex-MSU players, are both doing well for the Blackhawks and Bruins, respectively. Although...Keith did get a bit miffed a few games ago, lost his cool, and took a one game suspension for it!

Capevettes
06-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I am a huge Bruins fan and haven't missed a game in a long time. It would be nice to see the Bruins wrap it up tonight. The highly rated Penguins have been unable or unwilling to pay the price. Their forwards don't back check like the Bees forwards. Rask is playing out of his mind. 53 saves in the double overtime game. The Bees were lucky to escape Toronto, that's for sure.

I was rooting for your Redwings. The Blackhawks team speed is tough to beat. I think LA is done and it will be Bruins Blackhawks. The Stanley Cup is the most difficult Championship to win of any major sport. Just look at the faces of the winning team. Black eyes, numerous stitches and pain where you can't see it.

Gotta love hockey!!!

Capevettes
06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
How about those Bruins last night :kingme: