PDA

View Full Version : Testing Props on My 22C

Pat McPherson
06-05-2013, 07:28 PM
New to me 1996 22 Classic, stock 502 750cfm carb, stock B1 drive. The boat came with a 25p Mirage (non plus) that I had fixed up over the winter. I've checked the top speed a couple of times on a phone GPS. 68mph at 4500rpm with 3 people and full tank. 71mph at 4650rpm with 2 people and less than 1/2 tank. I've been told by Dave at MDG, where I bought the boat, the tach is off about 200rpm which makes sense with the speeds I'm seeing with a 25p prop. I'm happy with cracking 70 at 4800 and the boat handles fine with the Mirage. I'm not really looking to go much faster until I can gather the $$ to add external steering, but I'm going try a couple more props to compare speed and handling. BBlades sent me at 25p Turbo 1 and a 25p Rev 4 to run over the next week or so. I'll post results as I go...;)

JayZ
06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
New to me 1996 22 Classic, stock 502 750cfm carb, stock B1 drive. The boat came with a 25p Mirage (non plus) that I had fixed up over the winter. I've checked the top speed a couple of times on a phone GPS. 68mph at 4500rpm with 3 people and full tank. 71mph at 4650rpm with 2 people and less than 1/2 tank. I've been told by Dave at MDG, where I bought the boat, the tach is off about 200rpm which makes sense with the speeds I'm seeing with a 25p prop. I'm happy with cracking 70 at 4800 and the boat handles fine with the Mirage. I'm not really looking to go much faster until I can gather the $$ to add external steering, but I'm going try a couple more props to compare speed and handling. BBlades sent me at 25p Turbo 1 and a 25p Rev 4 to run over the next week or so. I'll post results as I go...;)

...curious to see where this goes. I am in the same boat so to speak. Stock (crate motor) 502 and I'm spinning a Viper 21 Pitch through a King Cobra drive. So far the best I've seen is just over 65 mph at about 4600 or maybe 4700 RPM but I'm starting to think my tach might be lazy.

Pat, I look forward to your results. I think I'll wait until you send the turbo 25 back and call Bblades to give it a try . I think I'd also like to try a QIV or Rev 4 23 Pitch 4 blade and see what happens..

Greg Guimond
06-06-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm thinking you will end up liking the Rev4 the most as the tests progress. Should be interesting.

Pismo
06-06-2013, 07:08 AM
More trim, more than you think, almost to the limit to get top speed.

Ghost
06-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Pat,

If you're interested in a Mirage Plus 25, I have one you can try. It's more pitch than my Cig wants so it'll be for sale shortly. (I'm in Annapolis--I assume since you mentioned Dave at MDG that you're not too far away.)

Mike (heading out for more of my own prop testing right now, actually. :) )

Pat McPherson
06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Pat,

If you're interested in a Mirage Plus 25, I have one you can try. It's more pitch than my Cig wants so it'll be for sale shortly. (I'm in Annapolis--I assume since you mentioned Dave at MDG that you're not too far away.)

Mike (heading out for more of my own prop testing right now, actually. :) ) I bought the boat from Dave but I live 350 miles north of you. No prop testing tonight because of weather; only able to bolt on the 4 blade before it started raining...:(

deejay
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
More trim, more than you think, almost to the limit to get top speed.

How much is "almost to the limit"? Thanks, deejay

duckhunter
06-07-2013, 08:25 AM
How much is "almost to the limit"? Thanks, deejay

I think he means almost all the way to the trim limiter (but not using the trailer trim button).

deejay
06-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I think he means almost all the way to the trim limiter (but not using the trailer trim button).

Thanks. Nice to know. Have been hesitant to trim that far. I continue to learn from this list.

MDonziM
06-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Patrick - I have a rh 25" mirage plus and 25"r+l reg mirage if you're interested. If it ever stops raining I can get to Stamford if that works for you. - Marshall

JayZ
06-13-2013, 01:57 PM
So whats the word?

Pat McPherson
06-16-2013, 06:49 AM
:frown: Not much to report... nearly 8" of rain in the past 2 weeks... the CT River is a mess with logs and sticks from flooding:frown: I did give it a try yesterday but didn't really find enough clean water to air her out. 25p Rev 4, 2 adults, 2 kids, 3/4 tank 66 on the GPS @ 4400 which is probably 4600 in reality with my lazy tach. The 4 blade launches the boat out of the hole and she will plan at vary low speeds, like 22-2300rpm. Need to trim to the moon to build speed. The whole boat lifts not just the bow. I like the prop and plan to give it another try later in the week alone with the Turbo 1.:cool:

Pat McPherson
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
OK Guys,
I ran a 25p Merc Rev 4 and a 25p Turbo 1 back to back this past Thursday. Ran out of sunlight before I could bolt on my Mirage. Here's the results with 3 people and 1/2 tank... Rev 4 - slow plane 28mph @ 2200rpm, 49mph @ 3200rpm, 59mph @ 3700, WOT 70mph @ 4700rpm... Turbo 1 - slow plane 28mph @ 2300rpm, 45mph @ 3200rpm, 55mph @ 3700rpm, WOT 71mph @ 4800rpm... Both props are vary good with the mid range and handling going to the Rev 4... need to trim the Rev 4 a lot more to get top speed.:)

Greg Guimond
06-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I have found that while not the fastest, the Rev4 offers a very predictable set of handling characteristics, especially in heavy water. It does lift the entire hull which worked well for my application.

miike
06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
You all need 25 pitch at least. I ran a 23 Mirage + at 4500 with my stock 330hp 454. I cut it down a bit to get it to 4700.

Stock 502 donzis were 75 mph boats and you can do that with either a 25 or 27. I like the Mirage + but would be willing to try a Turbo TXP. I hear they give more bow lift.

Ditch that Viper prop and start calibrating with Merc props.

I'm going to run the 25 M+ this year once I fix my broken piston rod cam lifters and pushrods....

Ghost
06-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Quick aside: if anyone is looking, I have a 25 pitch Mirage Plus for sale. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Pat McPherson
06-24-2013, 06:50 PM
You all need 25 pitch at least. I ran a 23 Mirage + at 4500 with my stock 330hp 454. I cut it down a bit to get it to 4700.

Stock 502 donzis were 75 mph boats and you can do that with either a 25 or 27. I like the Mirage + but would be willing to try a Turbo TXP. I hear they give more bow lift.

Ditch that Viper prop and start calibrating with Merc props.

I'm going to run the 25 M+ this year once I fix my broken piston rod cam lifters and pushrods....

My 25p Mirage and a 25p Turbo 1 both gave me a max of 71mph on GPS. I have not seen more than the 71 but I've not run the boat real light and without mufflers so maybe 75 is within reach.
The 4 blade Rev 4 was only 1mph slower on top and 3-4 mph faster up to about 3800rpm so I'm thinking that is going to be my next prop. Labbing the 25p Mirage for top speed will come after.

Greg Guimond
06-24-2013, 07:53 PM
My money was on the Rev4

miike
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I hated the Rev 4 when I tried a 24p. Held the boat in a way that made it slam into the tiniest wave.

Pat McPherson
06-24-2013, 08:29 PM
My money was on the Rev4The Rev 4 ran the best on my 24' Superboat so I thought it would work on the Donzi. The prop is lower on the Donzi than my old Super but it still works well.

Pat McPherson
10-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Got a call last night from a fellow 22c owner. Thought the data may help him. I've been running the 25p rev 4 for most of the past 2 seasons and it is a great prop for my boat. I find the handling to be better than a 3 blade and the mid range accell and speed are also better. Top speed with just me and low gas 73 and change at 5000 trimmed to the moon. :yes:

Carl C
10-22-2014, 02:32 PM
I wonder how a Bravo 1 would compare to the Rev 4. A lot of us are running Bravo 1s. Mine's a 30p labbed by BBlades.

miike
10-22-2014, 03:24 PM
I like the Bravo I better than the Rev 4 but I ran them with different motors

Didn't like the 24p Rev 4 with 330hp, didn't ride well.

Bravo I labbed 28 was better with 540hp but still gave the boat too much over all lift. This bravo had A LOT of the barrel cut off of it.

So far I'm running a 25p Mirage + around 75-77mph in salt and a labbed 27 Mirage + around 77-78 mph in the lake.

I have yet to try a Turbo TXP. Who has done that?

miike
10-22-2014, 03:45 PM
I also ran a stock 26 Bravo but there was way too much stern lift.

Pat McPherson
10-22-2014, 03:53 PM
I have not tried a B1 on my 22C but I ran a BBlades labbed for extra bow lift 28P B1 successfully on my 24 Superboat and a 24 Pantera.
The stock B1 did not work well for me on my 24 Super but the Rev 4 did. I would have run a Rev 4 if a 27P was available.
My guess is that prop work differently on a Bravo drive vs a Cobra drive. Also differently if you run a shorty/high prop shaft.
The fellow that called me for advice had the exact same setup as I do; 1996 22C, 502Mag, Bravo drive. He did not like the handling with a Mirage plus and was running a Turbo 1.

Pat McPherson
10-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I have yet to try a Turbo TXP. Who has done that?

I tried one on my Superboat and it would blow-out vary easily...

Next year I'll look to test a 26p B1, but I have my doubts...

Fishermanjm
10-22-2014, 07:04 PM
what is the difference between the Bravo props and Mirage props? i use a labbed 24p Mirage on mine, stock 6.2 mpi engine and Bravo 1 drive. I have gotten all of 69mph with just me and half tank of fuel, tabs all the way up and on the top of the trim. i dont like to bump the drive up past the top of the trim but i have on occasion, could a different pitch or prop get me more speed? or is that about it for my hp. I dont get much of a rooster tail either

Lenny
10-23-2014, 01:18 AM
what is the difference between the Bravo props and Mirage props? i use a labbed 24p Mirage on mine, stock 6.2 mpi engine and Bravo 1 drive. I have gotten all of 69mph with just me and half tank of fuel, tabs all the way up and on the top of the trim. i dont like to bump the drive up past the top of the trim but i have on occasion, could a different pitch or prop get me more speed? or is that about it for my hp. I dont get much of a rooster tail either

EVERY prop, sold by the same ( low $$$ ) manufacturer, is different.

Aftermarket CNC is the answer for a real comparison. What works for some on the same boat doesn't work on the next. Find one you like or employ the cnc, labbing, etc etc ... What you want most probably will NOT come out of a box.

:)

Carl C
10-23-2014, 05:39 AM

Usually 4 blades (Bravo 1, Rev 4) are needed with a shorty or high X.

Pat McPherson
10-23-2014, 08:56 AM

I believe max HP for the 6.2mpi is 5000rpm. If you are hitting 5000rpm with your "labbed" Mirage, there is probably not much left to be gained.
You could try a Turbo 1 3 blade or Mirage plus. I found the Turbo 1 to be about equal to a Mirage.

miike
10-23-2014, 01:09 PM

There is no 24p Mirage unless it was labbed. Mirages come in odd numbers. Bravos have 4 blades and handle completely differently. I've run on them on a Donzi, Formula, and Scarab. 4 blades provide a lot more stern lift, and when labbed a lot more overall lift. I find they work better on heavy boats that need a lot of lift to sit on their pads right. Donzi classics dont have pads and are lighter. When I run a 4 blade the whole boat is way too far out of the water and the ride is scary. Some people like them however. And I will try one again once I get my drive right and put steering and Kplanes on. My guess is that I stay with a Mirage or go to Turbo.

Fishermanjm
10-23-2014, 05:43 PM
well i thought it has 24p on the prop I'll have to really look at it close tomorrow. i can get 5400 rpm's wide open but i dont run it like that for too long, too much goes on at that speed. What about the rooster tail? besides it lookin real cool,,, does the prop affect that, seems like it may just be a loss of energy??? the boat is super stable when i push it to the max, the trim tabs are up as far as they go i imagine at least 3/4 of the boat is out of the water i have a pic of it at the poker run this summer i was wide open when i went under the chopper. I just cant imagine how it must be at speeds much higher than 70

Greg Guimond
10-24-2014, 07:30 AM
EVERY prop, sold by the same ( low $$$ ) manufacturer, is different.
Aftermarket CNC is the answer for a real comparison. What works for some on the same boat doesn't work on the next. Find one you like or employ the cnc, labbing, etc etc ... What you want most probably will NOT come out of a box.

Very true. On the Rev4 (I love mine) all of the guys who want a few extra mph out of it send them out to have some work done. There are one or two shops that work with Rev4's extensively with excellent results.

Pat McPherson
10-24-2014, 11:20 AM
well i thought it has 24p on the prop I'll have to really look at it close tomorrow. i can get 5400 rpm's wide open but i dont run it like that for too long, too much goes on at that speed. What about the rooster tail? besides it lookin real cool,,, does the prop affect that, seems like it may just be a loss of energy??? the boat is super stable when i push it to the max, the trim tabs are up as far as they go i imagine at least 3/4 of the boat is out of the water i have a pic of it at the poker run this summer i was wide open when i went under the chopper. I just cant imagine how it must be at speeds much higher than 70

I'm thinking if your running a "labbed" 24p you need more pitch; 5400rpm is too high for a stock 6.2.

I suggest you varify the tach is correct and the pitch of the prop.
You may also have a higher ratio drive than the standard 1.5 to 1; I think they come in 1.65 to 1.

My boat cracks 70 at about 4600rpm with a 1.5 ratio drive and 25p prop.

I'd try a stock 25p Mirage or stock 25p Turbo 1 to get a good baseline.

I've got a 25p Mirage I'd let go cheap if anyone is interested. Just love the Rev 4 too much to go back.

Redink
04-07-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm thinking if your running a "labbed" 24p you need more pitch; 5400rpm is too high for a stock 6.2.

I suggest you varify the tach is correct and the pitch of the prop.
You may also have a higher ratio drive than the standard 1.5 to 1; I think they come in 1.65 to 1.

My boat cracks 70 at about 4600rpm with a 1.5 ratio drive and 25p prop.

I'd try a stock 25p Mirage or stock 25p Turbo 1 to get a good baseline.

I've got a 25p Mirage I'd let go cheap if anyone is interested. Just love the Rev 4 too much to go back.

Pat,

Did you install external steering on your boat? Getting ready to order a test prop from BBLADES Rev 4 25P as you suggested.

Ken

smokediver
04-13-2015, 04:51 PM
The Rev4 is what I am running now. It's a really great handling prop and I am not taking it off ! The speed compromise is maybe a couple on the top end but the overall handling is terrific.

Greg Guimond
04-13-2015, 06:52 PM
I never met a Mercury Rev4 prop I didn't like :yes:

Pat McPherson
04-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Pat,

Did you install external steering on your boat? Getting ready to order a test prop from BBLADES Rev 4 25P as you suggested.

Ken

Hi Ken,
I've been working on my 17' AquaSport this spring; installing a new fuel tank and gauges. Probably not going to do much to the Donzi other than a wash and wax...:shades:

Pat McPherson
04-16-2015, 12:31 PM
I never met a Mercury Rev4 prop I didn't like :yes:

Greg I've had B1 and M+ labbed with good results. Ever lab a Rev 4?

I've hit 73 running solo and low fuel with stock Rev 4 and stock Mirage. Don't know if I want to lab my Mirage or Rev 4. I'm thinking lab the 3 blade for all out speed runs a couple time per year...:cool:

Redink
06-28-2015, 08:55 PM
Pat

Ran the Rev4 25P all day today on my 22C. It's all what you said it would be. Boat carries itself so much better. When getting airborne it's a much flatter trajectory. Hull is "crushing" the waves instead of pounding them. Turns can be made much faster with a tighter radius and more speed. The boat tracks like it's on rails. Also have picked up the expected 3-4 MPH at 3500RPM. Hit 69.8MPH (GPS) at 4900RPM WOT with three peps and 3/4 tank. With the Turbo 1 25P I was at 71 at 5100WOT with myself and less than 1/2 tank. Mind you today on the North East river was VERY choppy and rough. Wind coming from the West. Thanks for your advice.:worthy::worthy::worthy: The Rev4 25P works for me!!

Ken

Pat McPherson
06-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Pat

Ran the Rev4 25P all day today on my 22C. It's all what you said it would be. Boat carries itself so much better. When getting airborne it's a much flatter trajectory. Hull is "crushing" the waves instead of pounding them. Turns can be made much faster with a tighter radius and more speed. The boat tracks like it's on rails. Also have picked up the expected 3-4 MPH at 3500RPM. Hit 69.8MPH (GPS) at 4900RPM WOT with three peps and 3/4 tank. With the Turbo 1 25P I was at 71 at 5100WOT with myself and less than 1/2 tank. Mind you today on the North East river was VERY choppy and rough. Wind coming from the West. Thanks for your advice.:worthy::worthy::worthy: The Rev4 25P works for me!!

Ken

Good to hear the Rev 4 works for you Ken. I was out with my brother and another last Thursday and saw 71 GPS at 4900 into the wind and tide... You can trim pretty high with the 4 blade... Fast enough for me...:cool:

Redink
05-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Pat,

Had my Rev 4 labbed this past winter by Brett at BBlades. We ran it today and WOW. He made the prop even BETTER! Boat got up quicker, Added 2 mph with a full tank,"settled" quicker when running through wakes, NO porpoise at all. Best last year speed was 71 on GPS 1/4 tank. Today was 73 on a full tank. I think 75 realistic when running light.:yes::yes:

Ken

Greg Guimond
05-21-2017, 08:26 PM
The Rev4 is great for the Classics. I keep a bunch of them.

Pat McPherson
05-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Great news! I have thought about sending my Mirage our for lab job but it sounds like the $ are better spend on labbing the Rev 4... When/if my prop gets a dig it, off to Brett it will go...:yes: