PDA

View Full Version : OMC Cobra / 5.0 Ford Shift Cable Adjustment Sweet

BOSTONCAMARO
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
1992 Sweet 16, Ford 302, OMC Cobra Drive Ok, so we had a new shift cable installed, the guy installed it but did not adjust it right, it actually shifts worse and when we first got it back, even running it in the driveway it would click when engaging, we brought it back, he adjusted and it shifted a bit better, well first weekend in, it will shift, forward, reverse etc, but is stiff. I am 99.9 percent sure the issue is with shifter cable adjustment and NOT something wrong with the drive. We build a lot of cars, motors, race etc, so am pretty certain with some direction we should be able to adjust it correct. I hear there are 2 or 3 locations for the cable to be adjusted and want to give it a shot this weekend. Any links to videos, pages online you guys would recommend? I really appreciate the input and can see from google searches this is a common issue. Other than that the boat ran unreal, we had the prop trued up and it is SOOOOO much smoother now, I want to address the cable issue so we do not damage anything. Thanks in advance, Tim

MOP
06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I have done more than a few, to do it right the drive should be off!!!! You need the metal plate they call a gauge which holds the cable at the proper length, then you need to follow the procedure inside. Try to get your hands on the gauge once you have line on it can cost $50 to $90, post on it maybe you can borrow one. A link to the procedure: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Also VERY important is the cable RED or in some way marked updated, we had a ton of problems with the stock cables. The red cable was the cure that info can also be gleaned from the net.

Phil

BOSTONCAMARO
06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I have done more than a few, to do it right the drive should be off!!!! You need the metal plate they call a gauge which holds the cable at the proper length, then you need to follow the procedure inside. Try to get your hands on the gauge once you have line on it can cost $50 to $90, post on it maybe you can borrow one. A link to the procedure: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

Also VERY important is the cable RED or in some way marked updated, we had a ton of problems with the stock cables. The red cable was the cure that info can also be gleaned from the net.

Phil

it does have the correct red replacement cable...on my year boat, will that have two or three adjustment locations? yeah I am pretty certain we can handle it (certainly better than the guy who did the install) but do appreciate the input and direction! thanks!