PDA

View Full Version : One for Florida--Ethanol law repealed!

biggiefl
06-03-2013, 10:51 AM
WOOHOO!
"After consulting with all interested parties and thoroughly weighing all sides of this issue, Governor Scott signed House Bill 4001 into law on May 31, 2013. The law will take effect on July 1, 2013."
This means we are not required by law to sell gas with ethanol anymore. Awesome as ethanol is pure crap!

Ghost
06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

Score one for the good guys for a change.

BUIZILLA
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
let's see if any more States pile on....

and if the price goes up... or down...

gcarter
06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
And to add to what Jim said, the price of gas would be one thing, but think about what it could do to the price of meat!
It could be all good!

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Doesn't mean they won't be selling gas with ethanol:rolleyes:http://blogs.itap.purdue.edu/learning/files/2010/03/burstbubble.jpg

Capevettes
06-04-2013, 06:47 AM
As long as the suppliers continue to use ethanol there may be little change in the short term. More states will need to follow Florida's lead for any meaningful change to occur at the pump.

gcarter
06-04-2013, 07:18 AM
It's my understanding that ethanol is added to the tanker truck as it's filled, due to the quick degradation of the ethanol and high water absorption rate.
I think if I were a regional distributor and didn't have to go through that additional process, I wouldn't.

BUIZILLA
06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I think it's added at the refinery, makes sense since thats the only way to track the tax credits and mix percentage by volume, the local distributors don't get the tax breaks, the refinery does.. considering the pipeline system that's set up across the states to deliver fuel from the gulf region it's gonna take a while to filter out to where it should, but it's a helluva start in the right direction...

Ghost
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
I suspect (maybe it's wishful thinking) that whoever gets there first will move a LOT of product. And the rest will want to undo the lost business. So, I'm hoping the supply chain has its own little stampede.

gcarter
06-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I think it's added at the refinery, makes sense since thats the only way to track the tax credits and mix percentage by volume, the local distributors don't get the tax breaks, the refinery does.. considering the pipeline system that's set up across the states to deliver fuel from the gulf region it's gonna take a while to filter out to where it should, but it's a helluva start in the right direction...

This is from a California based web page, but I think it's the same everywhere.

How is ethanol fuel transported, stored and distributed?
Most of California's current ethanol fuel supply is delivered from the producing states via standard rail tank cars, with some import shipments via marine vessels. It is then stored at fuel terminals and added to gasoline when tank trucks are filled for delivery to fueling stations, where it is stored and dispensed the same as non-ethanol gasoline.

BUIZILLA
06-04-2013, 10:38 AM
one of my closest neighbors works for World Fuel Services, he travels the globe for them monthly and coordinates ALL the Asian and North Atlantic routing, impressive Co. I can't tell you everything he does overseas, but the Pentagon and D.C. buyers listen when he speaks... He's also a Ducati and BMW cycle owner and an avid boat owner, neat guy, and VERY worldly educated on fuels, he buys and delivers several tanker loads daily like you fill a weedeater.... let me tell you, I got a global education on fuels and refineries from him like you would never believe...

www.wfscorp.com (http://www.wfscorp.com)

biggiefl
06-04-2013, 11:26 AM
This is scary but my friend works for Coastal. He told me that all gas starts out the same. At the holding place 5 different branded trucks will fill up from the same tank. So your Sunoco and Mobil guy start with the same fuel. Then they add their "special' ingredients to the truck along with the ethanol. So for you who likes to debate that Shell is better than Chevron, think again. It is only their additives that differ. What is scary is we don't know what is in their additives. I don't think there is going to be an ethanol free FL in a month or even a year. Most stations have 3 tanks, Reg, Mid, Super, and maybe a diesel so where would they store ethanol free unless it was all that way. Most ethanol free that I can buy here is 89 or 90 octane. It would be NICE if they dropped the mid grade and made it a mid grade ethanol free pump. I think most would be thrilled with just that. Now we have a choice and if 90 octane, your Premium only car can handle it. Premium only means 91 but we get 93...yeah.

Ghost
06-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Also, if people notice their mileage goes up demand could be BIG. I saw mine drop when ethanol showed up.

biggiefl
06-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I had a diesel up until a few months ago so I never noticed it BUT....my wife had a Honda Civic hybrid and she would always average about 44mpg according to the computer. I noticed it dropped to like 38-39 and stayed that way after ethanol came to us in 2008 or so. I bet most won't see much if you go from 25 to 26 but with something as sensitive as a hybrid 5-6mpg you will notice.

Ghost
06-04-2013, 12:09 PM
I had a diesel up until a few months ago so I never noticed it BUT....my wife had a Honda Civic hybrid and she would always average about 44mpg according to the computer. I noticed it dropped to like 38-39 and stayed that way after ethanol came to us in 2008 or so. I bet most won't see much if you go from 25 to 26 but with something as sensitive as a hybrid 5-6mpg you will notice.

I saw 25 turn into 22.5 when it showed up.

BUIZILLA
06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I can tell you there IS some E15 at a certain truck stop in N. Ga. :boggled:

I went from 15.5 to 12.8 within 30 miles of filling up, using the instant function on my dash

biggiefl
06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
They better veto that E15 crap. Less than 5% of cars on the road can handle it, not to mention anything else with a piston.

BLACKBOX
06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
My Mercruiser technician told me Saturday that he was informed that 10% ethanol fuel equates to a 10% drop in horsepower, too...http://www.donzi.net/ubb/icons/icon8.gif

BUIZILLA
06-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Blackbox...

your mechanic would be wrong....

BLACKBOX
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
The Mercury website says 3% straight up loss of HP. I think what my guy was saying was that if you factor in the negative long term use of ethanol on the engine parts, the HP loss goes up. He said he saw this in writing somewhere...

Carl C
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
"The Mercury website says 3% straight up loss of HP."

That sounds more like it. There is a power loss with gasohol.

biggiefl
06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Wooo hooo I can maybe pick up 1mph on a good day soon.

Nick275
06-06-2013, 07:10 PM
WOOHOO!
"After consulting with all interested parties and thoroughly weighing all sides of this issue, Governor Scott signed House Bill 4001 into law on May 31, 2013. The law will take effect on July 1, 2013."
This means we are not required by law to sell gas with ethanol anymore. Awesome as ethanol is pure crap!

I hate ethanol just as much as anyone, but my understanding is that ethanol blending is still required under Federal law (so many millions of gallons of ethanol have to be blended each year). The new Florida law is to some degree symbolic, but we may see a few more gas stations open up a single E-0 pump. There is a station a few miles from me where I gas up my motorcycles and 90 octane ethanol-free runs about $4.50 a gallon.

biggiefl
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
We are about $4 for 90 octane ethanol free at select gas stations. $3.37 for regular or $3.55 for 89 so $4 for ethanol is about $.25 cheaper than the marina.

Nick275
06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
We are about $4 for 90 octane ethanol free at select gas stations. $3.37 for regular or $3.55 for 89 so $4 for ethanol is about $.25 cheaper than the marina.

I wish my gas station had E-0 that cheap. My marina is right around $4.50 for ethanol free. Makes filling up my 104 gallon tank a special occasion :-)

I hope if more stations start offering E-0 that the price will come down.

Tidbart
06-07-2013, 07:33 AM
It will take some time for prices to come down. Supply and demand will dictate that.

BUIZILLA
06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
the station by me was at $3.95 last week, today it's at $4.25 :rolleyes:

duckhunter
06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Couple of E-0 mom and pop gas stations around N. Bama. Prices average 10-12% higher than E10 but they do a brisk business. Almost all of the landscaping guys use them for their lawn equipment and the place by the river sells a ton to bass boat guys (and me). I also use E-0 exclusively in my two strokes after ONE batch of ethanol ate the fuel line on one of my older chainsaws.

Kind of funny, one of the stations doesn't sell ethanol because they ID'd a legitimate market niche with the lawn guys. The other owner is symbolically thumbing their nose at the EPA/IRS/DHS/DOE/NSA/DOJ/PETA/MSNBC. He needs to open a Chik-Fil-A in the vacant lot next door and he could probably retire.

FL is a great start - I hope other states will push to get rid of ethanol or at least provide the option of E-0 for those that prefer it (or can do basic math).

Ghost
06-07-2013, 09:14 AM
George mentioned a good point also...if the ethanol blending went away altogether, food prices would come way back down.

duckhunter
06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
George mentioned a good point also...if the ethanol blending went away altogether, food prices would come way back down.

The hell with food prices. Bourbon prices would come down!

Marlin275
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
the station by me was at $3.95 last week, today it's at $4.25 :rolleyes:

Chicago area gas prices jumped 25 cents at some stations in one day this week,
thanks to a double-whammy of refinery problems and the switchover to summer blend gasoline.

Ghost
06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
The hell with food prices. Bourbon prices would come down!

Bourbon IS food--it's one of the four food groups. :)