PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust tip adhesive.....Tough Stuff!!!!!

Shooter
05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
I want to change my original exhaust tips. If anyone knows exactly what type of adhesive Donzi used in the 1990's and has any good ideas, please post. Tried running a razor around the perimeter, then tried to hammer a quality flat paint scapper under it to pry it up, can't get it in more than .25". I don't THINK they would have used 5200? but whatever they used, it is TOUGH. I don't want to use a wood chisel and bend the flange or lift the gel coat. Any thoughts? Thanks

MOP
05-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Round the edges of your scraper so as not to do damage the surface, then heat it when hot it will slip in the groove. Work it along only the top to create a slot, use either DeBond or Skip Sand in the groove slowly working your way down. The sealant will soften, this is a messy operation so mask off the area below. One the tip is out do your clean up with the de bonding agent. Not easy and not fun!!!!

Phil

JayZ
05-30-2013, 07:28 AM
[QUOTE=Shooter;639931]I want to change my original exhaust tips. If anyone knows exactly what type of adhesive Donzi used in the 1990's and has any good ideas, please post. Tried running a razor around the perimeter, then tried to hammer a quality flat paint scapper under it to pry it up, can't get it in more than .25". I don't THINK they would have used 5200? but whatever they used, it is TOUGH. I don't want to use a wood chisel and bend the flange or lift the gel coat. Any thoughts? Thanks[/

You could try a fein saw or harbor freights $50.00 version. I have used it with success in the past.

I have heard of some chemical "de-bonders" but have no experience with them.

Shooter
05-30-2013, 10:57 AM
The old tips are looking better and better!! New ones will be sitting in the box a while until I have some spare time. Thanks...

Shooter
05-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Round the edges of your scraper so as not to do damage the surface, then heat it when hot it will slip in the groove. Work it along only the top to create a slot, use either DeBond or Skip Sand in the groove slowly working your way down. The sealant will soften, this is a messy operation so mask off the area below. One the tip is out do your clean up with the de bonding agent. Not easy and not fun!!!!

Phil

Phil, I just watched the DeBond video on their site. Then talked with Robert King at DeBond, he asked for a pic, he called me and gave me allot of info about the product. So I ordered a can. The way it weeps under the surface looks like that is the route I'll take when I have some time. Your directions were the same as his. Thanks for the great advice!

CHACHI
05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
I followed Phil's lead on DeBond years ago to do the exact same thing you are doing.

If my memory serves me correctly, it came with a plastic wedge to facilitate the removal process.

The "juice" defiantly helped.

Ken

VetteLT193
05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
you can "saw" through it with fishing line as another option. I usually tie the ends to screwdrivers / wrenches / whatever is laying around so I have something to hold on to.