PDA

View Full Version : 4000,000 Ford trucks with engine problem!

MOP
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/27/us-investigating-ford-pickups-for-engine-issue/

BUIZILLA
05-27-2013, 10:48 AM
I have one...

while mine has a hiccup or two at WOT once in a great while..

I don't think 95 reports in fourhundredthousand produced is a big deal..

roadtrip se
05-28-2013, 09:16 AM
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130527/AUTO0102/305270307/1148/AUTO01/U-S-investigates-400-000-Ford-F-150-trucks-engine-problems

And better info, too.

I have a 2012 ECO and experienced this issue, while pulling an inline snowmobile trailer and accelerating up a ramp to get on the highway early last winter. The engine vibrated and was slightly down on power. At no time did it feel like the engine was going to quit, or I was in a significant hazard situation. I stopped, cycled the key, and it was gone. I took the truck to the dealer, they ordered the CAC and air deflector, and I went on my merry way. Based on being busy and running up North with my sleds, I didn't get the truck back to have the pieces put on for about three months. I put about 5K on it at that time hauling my toys. It never did it again, and I ran this thing in some very adverse weather conditions.

I work as a vendor with Ford including their customer service division. Yes, there is an issue here, and they have issued technical service bulletins to address it, but to Buiz's point, this is not something effecting 400K engines.

Craig S
05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
glad I bought the Coyote 5.0 a couple months ago.

roadtrip se
05-28-2013, 02:24 PM
glad I bought the Coyote 5.0 a couple months ago.

This is why they offer the F-150 in four different configurations, to keep everybody happy.
But the ECO is no slouch, it gets better fuel economy than either of the v-8 options and
out pulls the 5.0 up to 6000 rpms and the 6.2 up to 5000 rpms. I drove the 5.0 and ECO,
and chose the ECO for performance, loaded and unloaded. My choice. And the sales numbers
back it up, the ECO makes up 40%+ of all sales, even though it costs more. More below from MT.
Contrary to the press, these trucks are not dying by the road by the thousands....

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1202_2012_truck_of_the_year_ford_f_150/viewall.html

BUIZILLA
05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
the '13's come with the upper CAC baffle/cover/gimmick that the earlier trucks didn't have, it's just a 90* rollover shield that covers about the top 2" of the front of the CAC, you can look through the front bumper and see if it has it or not

I took mine off on day one.... i'm not buying the thought that there is moisture condensating inside the upper chambers of the cooler with as much air as twin turbo's are pushing through there...

what HAS pretty much solved the problem around here, and I have several friends and customers with these engines now, is closing the spark plug gap from .040 to .030, as the chamber swirl seems to blow out the spark... Livernois and another tuner discovered this kinda by accident... I haven't done mine yet but it's on the to do list before the next road trip..

I know when I run 93 fuel and the tuner box set on 87 perf tow tune this thing pulls like no tomorrow, it's just unbelievable what a great engine this is... it is VERY octane and E10 sensitive

the only code I have ever had was for too cold of an exhaust temperature on warmup using 93 or 91 fuel, CAI, and the tuner box... figure that one out:kyle: