PDA

View Full Version : What’s my Hull Number?

Bobby D
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Yo Matt,
Attached is a picture of a picture (Polaroid) that was taken when my boat was restored backing in 2001. If you look closely where the (2) holes are drilled just below the hole to the right there appears to be the number 5.
Question, my boat was registered as hull number 445 in Florida but that number is already taken by Mike (MadDad) so do you know how many boats were built in 1972 that ended with the number 5? There is a second number to the left that is not as clear but could be a second 5 of 55, the boat was a Holman Moody 302 boat and has a New York history.
Thanks,
Bobby

mattyboy
05-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I'll see what I can dig up 1972 color all red hull white deck red stripe HM 302 volvo sold in ny is that right?

Bobby D
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
correct

Bobby D
05-24-2013, 04:36 PM
That is correct, also here is another image I marked up with a pencil highlighting what I believe I’m seeing. The 5 on the left is a stretch but I definitely see the one on the right.

mattyboy
05-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Bobby,

here's what I found so far

in 1969 they made three that match both color and power # 301,314,315

in 1970 they made two that matched color but the power was 351 # 353,365

in 1971 they made one that matched color and power # 388 and one that matched color but not power it had a chevy sb # 431

the next one that might match power and is red in 1974 is #486 but this is a two tone hull.

there are other red boats that might be but they have either different power or two tone hulls or the deck is red and the stripe is white.

have you checked the bow eye backing plate ?

hope that helps let me know if you need more info has the boat been painted? I have seen a few dark color decks that matched the hull squirted white and the stripe was changed to the hull color.

Bobby D
05-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Matt,
Thanks for looking into this and trying to help me out. This will not be easy and I may never figure it out. Although I don’t know what the hull number is for my 18 2+3, I do have information that tells me its 1972. I have a few pictures of what the boat looked like about 20 years ago and will post some later. I also have some names and receipts of owners and or people who did work on it. The previous owner grew up on Lake George and I believe that this boat may have spent some time up on Lake George and that’s why I thought you may have some information. I was told the boat was originally red hull, white deck, red stripe and white boot stripe and powered by a Holman Moody 302 with a 270 Volvo. Later the boat was painted all red with white deck stripe and it also had a palm tree decal with letters that I can’t make out on the starboard side bow. Pictures show a New York registration number NY 6868 EN. When the restoration was done in late 80’s early 90’s all the colors/stripes were gel coated, they took the old gel down and put a fresh gel coat on the entire boat.
I have a few invoices with the name Vincent Mizzi and several with just Vinny, the address is Midwood Road in Babylon NY. (Long Island).
Have a hand written sales receipt dated 6/9/90 that says it was sold to Arnetta Goldman
(1) 18’ Donzi Boat, 1972
(2) FG I/O Gas
(3) DK 432118
I looked in all the usual locations and did not find anything and when the boat was re-powered the deck was removed and the hull number was not recorded because I believe they did not know to look for it. Other work performed at that time included replacing the gas tank, ski locker and engine compartment area modified and before it went back together the entire underside was coated white.
Bobby