PDA

View Full Version : 1973 Donzi 22ft GT for sale

73donzibob
05-22-2013, 11:23 PM
GOTTA GO! MAKE ME AN OFFER. I'm selling my Donzi and all that comes w/ it. 454 bored big block, TRS drive, speedmaster lower unit, Hydrive steering, Kplane tabs, trailer...everything. My two small childeren are top priority, for now :bonk:call or text me @ 410-206-6248. Asking $6000 but will entertain any reasonable offers. I'm located in Pasadena MD.

JimG205
05-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey Bob-Send me a PM and let me know what interior parts you would be interested in selling def interested in front seats and hardware.Thanks

73donzibob
05-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Jim, I sent you an PM. I'm very new to this site/registry so I'm hoping/trusting you got it.

73donzibob
05-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm having several people tell me that my drive may NOT be a Merc III drive, but a TRS instead. I'm not sure what I have, to be honest :eek!: I'm also going back/forth on whether or not I should put a few grand into this boat and sell as a more complete boat. Thoughts?

Conquistador_del_mar
05-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I am almost certain the drive is a Merc III SSM with the long shaft. II or TRS drives don't have the relatively evenly spaced 3 retaining nuts on each side like yours does. The long shaft is more desireable than the short shaft version which calls for the 4" hubbed props compared to the 6" hubbed props on the long shaft. Since yours is apparently right hand rotation you should mention this to any potential buyer. You can easily tell which direction outdrive it is. If the input shaft turns the same direction as the prop shaft it is left hand and if the input turns opposite, it is a right hand drive. Some even have a L or R stamped on the end of the prop shaft. Bill

73donzibob
05-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Thx Bill. Very helpful info!

BubbleBee
05-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Im looking to buy the whole set up ive been talking over email with you. Im willing to pick up next weekend as i said. Just need motor specs. Just can see a 554 out of a 502 numbers just dont mater up to what can be built. Im looking to do a father son project and always wanted this style.

73donzibob
05-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the insight, Conquistador_del_mar. Much appreciated.

Jim/Bubble Bee;

I am keeping my boat. After L O N G, hard thinking...I can't let it go. I have an attachment w/ this boat and I'm going to restore it myself. It's not going to happen this year, and prob not next, but it will happen. The hull is solid so it's not going to require too much. I am going to keep the steering, seats, windshield and am going to sell everything else....the engine, the Merc III drive, the Borg Warner Transmission, the K-planes and Super Speedmaster LU.

Bubble Bee,

About the engine specs; My Uncle is adiment about it being a 502, bored to a 554. I'm not a 'engine guy', so I only know what he tells me. Now, my machinest tells me its a 454, bored to a 502. I shared this info w/ my Uncle and he still INSISTS it's a 502 block. I can't disagree w/ a guy and his calibrated instruments (machinest). The block is a tall deck, bowtie block, so the cylinder walls are thicker and can be bored a bit more than normal. This is what I'm told. I am going to part w/ all of it (too HP for me) and put a more economical engine/drive on the boat and run 60-70 mph all day.

Conquistador_del_mar
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Your engine is probably a stroked 502 to a normal 540CID, but the extra bore made it a 554. Just a guess as to what you might have and why your uncle believes it is 554. Bill

73donzibob
05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Bill, maybe you can help me w/ pricing. Again, my Unlce was/is super knowlegable about what he had and tells me the Super Speedmaster LU was ~$15,000 when he purchased it in the 80's. That seems awful high to me, but if they are/were that expensive (and providing the market for these is still somewhat what it used to be), what type of $$$ should I ask for a Super Speedmaster LU? Also, the transmission is smooth! It turns w/ my hand effortlessly and is a tank! In your opinon, what would be my best approach to sell it? As a package w/ the Merc III outdrive or seperate? My guess is that not many people (if any) are in the market for a Merc III drive. Is the Borg Werner trans compatible w/ other drives? Is there a market for these?
Bob

BubbleBee
05-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Usually a 540 bored is a 555 if its a 502 block stroked. Just look on the side of the engine and see if it says 7.4 or 8.2 on the block or run casting numbers.
As for the BW it is a universal trans as to fit trs they all SSM drives. The only issue with the III is that they are used on larger performance boat and come in pairs tough finding some one looking for 1 or has a single.
Even though the trans spins free and easy doesn't mean it's good or for that matter bad.
Good luck with it but I'd still love to buy it

73donzibob
05-27-2013, 07:22 AM
Thx Mike. I struggled w/ this decision and as for today, I gotta be true and keep it. I have your info. You will be the FIRST person I contact if/when I change my mind.

BubbleBee
05-27-2013, 09:36 AM
All good enjoy it. I'm back on the hunt

Donzi_Dude
05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
just wondering why you dont keep the rigging? to me it sounds like a good set up. maybe upgrade to modern cam specs.

just use what you got and it seems good enough to me.

just saying!

GL!

Conquistador_del_mar
05-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Bill, maybe you can help me w/ pricing. Again, my Unlce was/is super knowlegable about what he had and tells me the Super Speedmaster LU was ~$15,000 when he purchased it in the 80's. That seems awful high to me, but if they are/were that expensive (and providing the market for these is still somewhat what it used to be), what type of $$$ should I ask for a Super Speedmaster LU? Also, the transmission is smooth! It turns w/ my hand effortlessly and is a tank! In your opinon, what would be my best approach to sell it? As a package w/ the Merc III outdrive or seperate? My guess is that not many people (if any) are in the market for a Merc III drive. Is the Borg Werner trans compatible w/ other drives? Is there a market for these?
Bob

Bob,
You can get a good idea what III SSMs are going for on the Offshore Only classifieds. You might try to sell the entire drive package as a whole (outdrive, transom assembly with rams, and BW tranny). If you break it up you might have to palletize 3 different components for shipping unless you find someone local. There are still lots of boats with those drives - I have a 1987 38' Cigarette Top Gun and a 1979 Cigarette 35' Mistress that use those drive packages for instance. I also think you should at least consider using that drive in your restoration - they are tough and can handle lots of power. Bill

73donzibob
05-28-2013, 08:59 PM
About using my Merc III w/ the BW trans and speedmaster...I'm being told it steals too much pwr to run it, prob close to 50 HP. It's HEAVY! With this configurtation, the stern wants to drag so you don't have much 'medium' ride. You are either plowing thru the water, nose up, or up on plane doing 50 or 60 mph. Kind of a 'all or nothing' kind of ride. My thoughts (and from what I'm being told) are to lighten the load w/ some ligther, more modern technology and let the boat breath a little bit. This would give me better fuel economy and allow it to 'jump' outta the water a lot better. Give me more of a 'medium' cruzin' range w/ out going all out, all of the time. Even though the drive may be bionic, isn't it extremely tough to find parts for the Merc III? I want robust, but what about finding replacing parts? I've always ran outboard motors. This is my first I/O so I'm all ears guys. Help me find my way! :hyper:

73donzibob
07-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Bill,
What about servicing and finding parts for this drive? I'm considering keeping the III drive but am concerned that finding a good tech to work on it and parts might be tough. Thx, Bob

Conquistador_del_mar
07-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Bill,
What about servicing and finding parts for this drive? I'm considering keeping the III drive but am concerned that finding a good tech to work on it and parts might be tough. Thx, Bob

Do a Google search for shops. After talking to a couple of them, I am probably going to use a shop in Florida since I need one of mine repaired. Parts are not that difficult to obtain.

73donzibob
07-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Donzi_Dude may have a good point. Since I already have 'a system', why mess w/ it??? I've done a lot research and as we all know, sometime it hurts rather than helps. Some people are telling me 'out w/ the old, in w/ the new' and others are telling me what Donzi_Dude is saying...if it ain't broke and is a robust system, use it and enjoy. Because you (Bill) are currently using these outdrives/systems, I value your opinion. Are you using a transmission w/ yours? I'm thinking you have to be since there is not other option, correct? Is the weight w/ this monster OD and trans that big of a deal?

Again, just trying to decide to part w/ my drive, SSM lower, and Borg Warner trans and get a Bravo I, or keep what I have (have it gone thru and serviced of course). I have a potential buyer for the OD and gimbal but am not sure what makes most sense. Ahhh, the joys of restoration! :biggrin:

Conquistador_del_mar
07-03-2013, 02:15 AM
The III drive system will handle some huge HP. Usually, the transmissions are upgraded to the 800HP+ range by simply having the extra heavy duty bands added, but you might not really need to do the tranny upgrade. Yes, you have to use trannies with any TRS, II, III, etc. drive package. I will be installing some 1100HP BAM trannies with my 800HP+ engines I will be installing in a 38' Top Gun Cig. Yes, the III weighs a fair amount, but it also handles huge power and is fairly reliable. If you ever need a tranny, let me know - I've got a few spare ones - all Borg Warner Velvet drives. I can't speak as to III to Bravo comparisons in a 22. Bill

73donzibob
07-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I think I'll hold on to what I have and use this current configuration, at least until I can see how she does/performs. I believe I would have to change the cut out in the transom if I change to a Bravo drive. That would be more work then necessary if my current config works well. My son is being born this week (fingers crossed) so I will have my hands full for quite awhile, but I'm hoping to start working on the hull (sand/prep for paint) and interior back in it. I'll be sure to add some pics of my progress. Is there a restoration forum I should post on? How do I include you (Bill/Mike) if you wish to follow?

73donzibob
05-05-2014, 08:01 AM
:frown: My 1973 Donzi GT 21' is back up for sale. $6K Call or text me: 410-206-6248. Thx, Bobby