PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 280 transom shield questions

DRDonzi
05-22-2013, 01:58 PM
I have a couple of questions for all of you Volvo guru's out there, I'm talking about a Volvo 280 on my 1976 18' Classic. First question, are the 6 attachment bolts supposed to have o-rings on them between the transom shield and the back on the boat? Second, what are those carriage bolts supposed to be torqued to? Third, what are the 6 inner bolts that hold the output shaft and big donuts in place supposed to be torqued to? I'm a bit confused on the o-ring thing as from what I'm now reading that the back of the boat should have an indentation for them so seat into and just wanted to see what your thoughts were. Thanks for any insight.

MOP
05-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Getting to old to remember torques, the 6 securing bolts are blind and will not leak. But best advice is ti use non hardening gasket compound on the threads.

mattyboy
05-23-2013, 09:35 AM
I used a thin bead of silicone under the bolt heads, I also sealed the bolt holes in the transom with resin so no water would be soaked up. the bolts are outside of the seal

I didn't take my donut apart it was in good shape when i had the transom plate off my boat so i can't help there . I did crank down on the plate bolts pretty good the first time and did have a small leak so i did tighten them further no leak now . you have to be careful not to crush the transom depending on how solid the wood is and how liberal the cut out is you might need a backing plate on the nut side.

check our resource page down bottom under tech manuals we have a few volvo manuals I will also check the ones I have not uploaded yet to see any specs for torque
hope that helps

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/resources_ps.asp