PDA

View Full Version : I can be such a nitwit

Conquistador_del_mar
05-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Yesterday, I took my wife and her daughter and grand daughter out for a late outing in my 1988 Donzi fishing boat. it got so late that we came in after dark for the first time in years. We spent at least 10 minutes looking all over my boat for the plug in anchor light that has a receptacle in the aft starboard deck. I finally decided I must have forgotten to put one in the boat when I looked up and saw the LED anchor light I had rigged when I restored the boat - :banghead:. We all got a good laugh out of it at my expense. Bill

f_inscreenname
05-18-2013, 06:42 PM
That's nothing. Forget that you pulled your lanyard and let the games begin. :doh:

seabuddy
05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Been there, done that lanyard thing!

Greg Guimond
05-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Back when I was in school and had my original 16 I wanted to impress a girl I was dating. I figured a ride in the Sweet 16 would surely do the trick. We both dunked the boat and headed out of the harbor. A little ways out, I went to stab the throttle and.......hmm, this thing sure seems sluggish? I turn around to notice that the transom is low..........hmm? Then it dawns on "Big Man On Campus" that the plug is out and the pump can't keep up. I floor it and manage to ram the boat up on the beach where I'm not supposed to be, barely avoiding sinking the thing, and being heckled by on lookers.

That girl (now my wife) likes to remind me about this from time to time :rolleyes:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Back when I was in school and had my original 16 I wanted to impress a girl I was dating. I figured a ride in the Sweet 16 would surely do the trick. We both dunked the boat and headed out of the harbor. A little ways out, I went to stab the throttle and.......hmm, this thing sure seems sluggish? I turn around to notice that the transom is low..........hmm? Then it dawns on "Big Man On Campus" that the plug is out and the pump can't keep up. I floor it and manage to ram the boat up on the beach where I'm not supposed to be, barely avoiding sinking the thing, and being heckled by on lookers.

That girl (now my wife) likes to remind me about this from time to time :rolleyes:

Too funny! I had the same thing happen about 20 years ago when I had a date who was scared of boating. As soon as I realized my fishing boat was going down in the harbor, I calmly jumped in the lake and stuck the plug in and tried to make it sound like it was no big deal. 10 minutes later the pump rectified my oversight - lol

wwahl
05-19-2013, 11:15 PM
I live on Lake Washington and have a boat lift. A young friend came screaming past my dock in his boat shouting at me "Can I borrow your boat lift?". As my boat was on it at the time this left me scratching my head. By the time he made his third pass while he was pointing at the hole where the drain plug should have been I got the message. I took my boat off the lift and he came sliding in just in time. Stuff happens!

mattyboy
05-20-2013, 04:30 AM
When I first started dating my wife Marie I had an old Starcraft OB I had planned a day out on the water food wine maybe a little romance

Uncover load up start up and go we get about 500 feet from the marina and the motor dies After 15 minutes of troubleshooting no luck over I go with a line and I swim the boat back in to the slip. So now as I am covering the boat Marie says you know I am not really the kind of girl who would fall for the old out of gas line.

Hmmmmmm The gas line you knuckle head the gas line!!!!!! I never connected the gas line to the OB

So not to look like a fool I just covered the boat and said I would come back later and figure it out. Hard to believe that date was 31 years ago

gcarter
05-20-2013, 09:33 AM
After the Minx was finished, Elaine and I met up w/some other Seadogs at the Suwanee River for a weekend.
I was VERY new to trailable boats (yes, I did put in the plug!), I didn't though, remove the transom straps.
After trying to launch for two or three minutes, I remembered I hadn't done so.
The truly remarkable thing though, was that the gang there at the ramp didn't once give me any grief about it!

biggiefl
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
I trailered my boat to Ft Lauderdale one weekend. Called a friend and he was going to meet me at the ramp. I drop the boat in and go find a parking spot & pay the fee, etc. Grab my stuff and come back to the boat and there is 6" of water on the deck. I forgot the plug....but I FORGOT the plug at home. Just then my bud shows up and he loans me a plug. We are idling out the canal and I am trying to get the bilge to work and the Coast Guard drives by us. Guy looks down and says to another..."Don't worry, it's a Whaler." Just then one of those frigging albino frogs jumped out of somewhere and landed on my chest. I damn near fell overboard. CG got a kick out of it as well as my wife.

Forgetting the plug would'nt hurt that Whaler but the piling I hit at 23mph sure did. Bye-bye....just was not meant to be.

gcarter
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I keep my boats inside and tend to not remove the plug.
When I pull out I'll pull the plug and drain anything, but then put it back in.
So far this has worked.

Ghost
05-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Before we installed a bilge pump, we used to just pull the plug out of our Whaler and run it when there was a lot of water on board. Plug it in the inboard end of the tunnel underway once it ran dry. (Good to plug the other end once you stop, however, so barnacles don't make a home in the tunnel. Pls don't ask me how I know this.)

Greg
05-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I once had a freeze plug pop out of my old 289. It filled the bilge with water and all we had to bail with was an empty, greasy peanut can. I was in such a panic and bailing like a madman that the can flew out of my hand. Then we had nothing. Then I realized the water was warm, then saw the freeze plug in the bilge. We managed to get to a pier 2 piers away from a friends and got a tow home. I don't think I went more than 100' feet away from shore the rest of that season.