PDA

View Full Version : Cut me Mick, we don't need no stinkin engine stand

mattyboy
05-01-2013, 12:08 PM
saw this on www.woodyboater.com I think the technical term is a motorectomy

got to love the simple setup to get them running

I guess the FE's are well worth it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CRDV8TuVciU#!

Conquistador_del_mar
05-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Cool video. I think he should have quit trying to start the one when the gas was pouring out the top of the carb.

mattyboy
05-02-2013, 07:59 AM
i was amazed he kept trying plus the way he was pouring the gas into the carb then the way the motor was rocking back and forth the first one sounded great the second not so much.

mattyboy
05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
wasn't quite sure of the electrical connections but the block is definitely grounded :rolleyes: :jestera:

mattyboy
05-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Give ya an idea what a beat up hammered incomplete 427 FE goes for , so sawing them out of the boat was well worth it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-1968-69-FORD-427-SERVICE-MARINE-MOTOR-COBRA-NASCAR-SOHC-GALAXY-GASSER-/290892878202?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item43ba91117a&vxp=mtr

duckhunter
05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the FE motors go for huge money to the replica crowd. Even worse when you have to source new parts for them... Exceptionally cool though, and unique sounding.

Way more cost effective to build big reliable power with a 429/460, but those are apparently "dump truck motors" to the Cobra guys.

Ghost
05-04-2013, 08:02 AM
The first minute or two made me want to cry. Pretty entertaining after that.

mattyboy
05-04-2013, 08:46 AM
That was pretty much the feeling from the guys on woodyboater too.
I would have like to have seen the actual motor extraction.

the motors are supposedly going to another boat so i guess that takes the sting out a little over them going into a car.

duckhunter
05-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Sad to see a boat get cut up like that, but at least the big FE lumps are going into another boat.

Saw someone restoring an old Chris Craft Constellation or Roamer on his blog. It had twin BB Fords with blow-thru carbs and turbos, which were apparently OEM back in the day. Really neat, complicated looking motors. Not rebuildable so he replaced with newer diesels.

So I have never messed with reverse rotation engines. Do they sound any different from a standard rotation engine? There were some comments on the video about the differences in cam and firing order, so I was wondering how that affected how they run/sound.

Ghost
05-04-2013, 10:41 AM
I had one in my last boat. Never sounded noticeably different.

Until it got sick. And died. At the age of about 4.

Not sure what put all the water in it but it wasn't good. (Don't think that had anything to do with RR, however, just some fluke with in internal leak--manifold or something.)

One of the sneaky things about at least some RR motors is the (knurl?) on one of the shafts, which has to be backwards from the usual to keep the oil in at the seal. I heard of someone who had a RR rebuild done and the thing just pumped oil out. Someone had gotten this backwards. (Which seems like a pretty impressive mistake if it's actually machined into the shaft and not a bolt-on part, which is what I was told. A lot of folks here will know.)