PDA

View Full Version : 14 Baby is out of storage!

Scott Pearson
04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
The new project begins...Pulled this thing out today and it hasnt seen the light of day in about 10 years. Its dirty, dusty and full of nests. In a week or so it will be ripped apart and we will be moving foward with the restoration. Im pretty excited to start this one finally.

Rob M
04-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Scott - that is a cool boat. That makes at least two 14s in restoration at the same time - mine is mid way through a complete restoration. Possibly 3, as I believe SamIam is doing his yellow one too. Let me know if you still have an extra pair of custom stern rub rails. I need a set if you have a spare.

Rob

Scott Pearson
04-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Hull #10 is being restored now also. Thats one reason why I'm pulling mine apart because he needs my 14 foot locker to pull a mold from for his. So I figured now is a better time then any to get going on mine.

duckhunter
04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Very cool! The small restoration projects are awesome. You're still eating an elephant one bite at a time, but at least it's a baby elephant!

What power/drive are you going to run?

mattyboy
04-27-2013, 07:39 AM
this boat has such a neat story, the proverbial fly on the wall, just to think where this boat has been.

The records indicate that 13 were sold by Donzi around the time Don was at Magnum and just a consultant for Donzi. When Don left that position he took this unrigged boat most likely 14 or 15( one was supposedly cut in half while it was in one of the molds) with him. The boat then traveled the parking lots of 188th st. Magnum cigarette finally sold and rigged as cigarette 14 hull number one in 1977. After that sale it looks like Don ordered one to be made that left the molds at the cig factory in 1978 there may be one other.

can't wait to see this one get done, good luck. let me know if you need a hand.

bertsboat
04-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Matty, this is so cool. Another Baby Cigarette.

:wrench:
this boat has such a neat story, the proverbial fly on the wall, just to think where this boat has been.

The records indicate that 13 were sold by Donzi around the time Don was at Magnum and just a consultant for Donzi. When Don left that position he took this unrigged boat most likely 14 or 15( one was supposedly cut in half while it was in one of the molds) with him. The boat then traveled the parking lots of 188th st. Magnum cigarette finally sold and rigged as cigarette 14 hull number one in 1977. After that sale it looks like Don ordered one to be made that left the molds at the cig factory in 1978 there may be one other.

can't wait to see this one get done, good luck. let me know if you need a hand.

mattyboy
04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Scott.

I'll check with Kenny I think he still may have the artwork and stencils for the old original Cigarette logo from his project.

now for some possible names

quick hit

drag

puff

loosie

a small habit

one nail

Rob M
04-29-2013, 08:44 AM
On the topic of logos for 14s...anyone know the correct dimensions for flags and old style Donzi (on white) Logo? I am placing an order with Josh. He suggests 5" high for the flags and 4" high for the logo. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

mattyboy
04-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I have a couple of sets at home I can measure

this is what they should look like

the Donzi should not have the register trademark symbol that only came on the newer boats( not sure how technically original you want to be) and the 14 the script goes above the rubrail.

Rob M
04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks Matty!

Morgan's Cloud
04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
this boat has such a neat story.

Matty was able to give the answer before I could ask the question about this particular 14. The history on this one makes it a real conversation piece in classic Donzi circles .

One other thing .. Scott , please , (please) if you do a resto thread :crossfing: keep it all in one thread . Sooo much easier to follow and it keeps the interest flowing for us not there to see it .

olredalert
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
----Scott,,,You could name your 14 "One-O-Two" being as there are and will only be two 14 Cigarettes.......Bill S

72Hornet
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
----Scott,,,You could name your 14 "One-O-Two" being as there are and will only be two 14 Cigarettes.......Bill S

Matty, I have one more for you, seeing that Cigarette is giving me a "Nicotine Fit".....
Can't wait to watch the progress!

Scott Pearson
04-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. This one will stay a Cigarette for sure as it should be. I want to have the history follow the boat and make sure its documented correctly.

I will keep the thread going as it goes through the restoration.

mattyboy
04-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Rob

the decals I pictured which were reproduced from the early originals are:

the donzi decal 22 inches wide 5 1/4 inches high

the country pennants 5 1/2 wide 6 3/4 inches high

as a side note the newer silver donzi with the US and lion and dolphin pennant decals are not has high they all fit above the character line on my hornet the older pennants will not . so there was a change in size some where along the road.

one more name

nice butt

Rob M
04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Matty,

That is very helpful. Thank you for checking the dimensions and posting. It looks like Josh at Donzi Direct has decals in those dimensions.

Rob

bertsboat
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Here is an interesting Baby 14. The owner claimed this was built for Don Aronow to race in the Bahamas 500 race. It was built by Cigarette in the Baby 14 Donzi molds buy titled as a CRT.

mattyboy
05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Bert,

we have seen that 14 here before, yes it is an interesting boat do you have anymore info on it like what the CRT number is?? what was the original power? was the helm moved during the restoration? Did it have an enlarged fuel tank?

From what I have read about the 500 can't see anyone trying to compete in a 14 even though they ride much bigger.

I only know of one left hand helm 14 and that was the brochure volvo boat but on a benchseat setup it is not really a biggie moving the helm especially if you are doing glass work anyway.