PDA

View Full Version : need your opinion urgently

Alhassawi
04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
What do u think about stratos donzi 33' model 1992?? In every aspect

biggiefl
04-22-2013, 11:09 AM
This is not really a fishing boat Donzi forum but I know the boat a bit. Donzi, Stratos, Hydra-Sports and I think Quest all used the same boat while OMC ruled over them. They are nice, well made hulls but fairly heavy and can only handle twins. With my Hydra-sports I had a hard time trying to repower as it could not really handle more than 450lbs which disallowed modern engines. My biggest concern with that boat would be can it handle modern twin 300's. Did they offer it with old V8's? If so it can handle the weight but how did it perform? Most I see or saw had twin 225's and 450hp seems a bit low on a 33' boat. Hydra-sports had a different hull for a while and I think it was 34'. I remember the salesman telling me it went faster with the v6's than the v8's so I would do some serious research on places like the hull truth, etc and see who owns one and what did they repower with, etc. Keep us updated.

Alhassawi
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
The boat am gonna buy now its a 33 stratos 1992 model with1994 twin 250 yamaha engines. So I think its fare enough for the 33

biggiefl
04-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I assume you are going to test drive it first and make that determination for yourself. My main concern like I stated is what happens when you want to repower? Those engines are 20 years old. Can it handle an extra 300+ ponds with a pair of modern E-tecs?

biggiefl
04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Looked at my 1991 donzi brochure and it was offered with V8's so weight should not be a problem. Drive it and let us know how fast with 250's. At 5300lb(boat) it should do OK.

Alhassawi
04-27-2013, 04:25 AM
My main concern is can it handle rough seas 4 to 6 feet weaves? And is it smooth riding or not

joseph m. hahnl
04-27-2013, 07:31 AM
My main concern is can it handle rough seas 4 to 6 feet weaves? And is it smooth riding or not I think it will handle any thing you could throw at it.Not sure what the concern over re-powering your not locked in to the top of the line E- tec
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEyNVgxNTAw/z/R5YAAMXQw8hRZtsU/$T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugOeKBRZtsTmZ)!~~60_3.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTEyNVgxNTAw/z/Wt4AAMXQlrxRZtty/$T2eC16Z,!wsE9suwyQdkBRZtt)wJ(g~~60_3.JPG

This one looks like it has 4 Cycles which would weigh more than E-tec ,so a 4 stroke is also on the table. But let's not jump the gun here, as the top end was just done, on the one, I suspect your looking at:propeller:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjOegBrYWU

duckhunter
04-27-2013, 10:18 AM
My main concern is can it handle rough seas 4 to 6 feet weaves? And is it smooth riding or not

A well-built 33' center console will handle 4-6s far better than the nut behind the wheel. It will be safe if you know what you're doing, but I have yet to ride in anything smaller than a 50' battlewagon that could be described as "comfortable" in seas that size. If you head out the inlet on a bluebird day and it turns to crap heading back in the boat will do fine. I personally wouldn't head out into anything that rough on purpose...

I think you've gotten some good advice already on here, and the recommendation to check THT was a good one - they are the cc experts for sure. Just be careful, or you'll be convinced that anything other than a 35 Yellowfin with trips is a death machine.

The older Yamahammers are great motors, especially if you have a good Yamaha tech. I think there are some maintenance tricks with the oiling system, etc, but they have a pretty good reputation overall. Not sure what exact years had issues, but that can certainly be researched on the internet. Aftermarket lower units are available fairly reasonably as well if that is a concern. If they run good and pass a compression test I would run the dog snot out of them while you decide if you want to repower or not. That's a big decision - throwing new 250-300s and associated rigging on there would be a $50k proposition.

Do you have any pictures of the boat? I am not real familiar with them.

biggiefl
04-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Duck I agree. I was not trying to deter the buy but just throw it out there that one day you will repower and will it work...after research I think it will.

Now going out in 6' crap is a good test but don't make it a habit. I still think 5300lbs w/o motors is light...anyone know a "real" weight? They state the F25 W/A at 5100lbs????

joseph m. hahnl
04-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Duck I agree. I was not trying to deter the buy but just throw it out there that one day you will repower and will it work...after research I think it will.

Now going out in 6' crap is a good test but don't make it a habit. I still think 5300lbs w/o motors is light...anyone know a "real" weight? They state the F25 W/A at 5100lbs????

“Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft.” The NWS generally defines the criteria for SCA’s, which vary greatly across the nation, in six different geographic regions

Eastern (ME to SC, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario) – Sustained winds or frequent gusts between 25-33 knots (with some exceptions for harbors/bays) and/or seas or waves 5 to 7 feet and greater, area dependent.
Central (MN to OH) – Sustained winds or frequent gusts between 22-33 knots inclusive, and/or seas or waves greater than 4 feet.
Southern (GA to TX and Caribbean) – Sustained winds of 20-33 knots, and/or forecast seas 7 feet or greater that are expected for more than 2 hours.
Western (WA to CA) – Sustained winds of 21-33 knots, and/or wave heights exceeding 10 feet.
Alaska (AK) – Sustained winds or frequent gusts of 23-33 knots. A small craft advisory for rough seas may be issued for sea/wave conditions deemed locally significant.
Pacific (HI, Guam, etc) – Sustained winds 25 knots or greater and seas 10 feet or greater; except in Guam and the northern Mariana Islands where it is sustained winds 22-33 knots and/or combined seas of 10 feet or greater.

BUIZILLA
04-28-2013, 08:04 AM
if the waves are higher than the beam of the boat, you probably shouldn't be there...

if the waves are higher than the freeboard of the boat, you're gonna get wet and bounced around...

Alhassawi
04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Will do the survey tomorrow and sea trial aswell

Alhassawi
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I found 98 donzi 34 zfc how is that one?

is the ride smooth ? Is it dry ride? AND any info could be helpfull thanks