PDA

View Full Version : Replace bow lifting eye with cleat combo?

donzidon
04-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Has anyone replaced the bow lifting eye with a lifting eye + cleat combo?
If so, any advice on the best hardware for an 18 and a 22C?
I get tired of tying and untying the bowline on that lifting eye.
The combos that I see in my initial search don't look that attractive, and
of course I would have to match the threads on the lifting rod end.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Don

Ghost
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Something like this maybe? http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Lift-Ring/Cleat-Combination

I'd think they were all 5/8 threaded rod like these. Unless there's a trim ring issue or something, I'd think somthing along these lines would work. (Worst case, Attwood makes belowdecks hardware to mount the rod to the either transom or to the inside of the bow eye. Probably would work on a bulkhead also. Not sure what the 22C/18C have under there exactly, but they have something from the factory.)

EDIT: after some looking, I think the options are, at least, 5/8 and 3/4 threaded rod. Here are some shown here, in both sizes. http://www.magnumboatsandparts.com/Parts_For_Sale.html

Donzi Direct seems to only have the original ring-only design. (Looks to be 3/4, BTW.) I remember some folks here talking about a company up in Algonac making some similar parts. Last, I thought the DMRS folks had a line on some as well. Not sure if either of those had bow cleat/eye combos or just eyes, but maybe.

Of course, if you've seen the original castings and that's the style you don't like the look of, well... ;)

biggiefl
04-16-2013, 11:46 PM
I put the line through the eye and I sling it into the cockpit and secure it to my port grab handle. It is what it is.

Just Say N20
04-17-2013, 06:35 AM
The original eyes were 5/8th threaded rod.

I never liked using the eye on the bow for securing the boat to a dock, nor did I like having a line strung across the deck when running.

I added a cleat on each side just in front of the cockpit.

gcarter
04-17-2013, 06:42 AM
I think 16's & 18's were 5/8" and larger boats were 3/4".
I couldn't imagine hanging the boat, so I replaced the rings
w/a popup cleat in the bow, and a nav/anchor light in the stern.

Ghost
04-17-2013, 07:31 AM
The original eyes were 5/8th threaded rod.

I never liked using the eye on the bow for securing the boat to a dock, nor did I like having a line strung across the deck when running.

I added a cleat on each side just in front of the cockpit.

Ditto that. My Cig has a factory bow lifting eye/cleat and I added cleats at the front of the cockpit anyway.

MOP
04-17-2013, 07:48 AM
In the long run it is much better to add a cleat, the lifting eyes are not designed for side loading.

mattyboy
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
not sure what having a cleat/lifting ring combo is going to do for not wanting to go up and untie the dock lines?

the magnum hardware Ghost pictured is the same hardware that Donzi used on the early 19 foot hornets.
I have not seen these combo fixtures on any other Donzi especially the 16 and the 18. I am not saying they never did they did do a lot of use what ya have.

The smaller boats were 5/8 and the fixture for this was 3/4 this with a small backing plate will handle any type of load

My rear lifting ring was altered they cut out the transom bracket and removed the threaded rod to add power steering so mine is just connected via a SS backing plate I try not to use it to much if it had the rod I would not worry about using it for anything.

as far as cleats I like the folding cleats better than the pull/pop up cleats less deck material removed ,less chance of water intrusion.

Tidbart
04-17-2013, 09:52 AM
As others have said, put 2 pull-up or pop-up cleats amidship. Once you do, you will say, I wish I did this a long time ago.
IMO, I wouldn't put one of those combination lifting ring/cleat combos on my classic. Ugleeee.

B

JimG
04-17-2013, 10:16 AM
"In the long run it is much better to add a cleat, the lifting eyes are not designed for side loading."

Hee hee! Just how long is that long run? I'm 43 years on mine!:biggrin:

donzidon
04-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Many thanks for the advice. I definitely agree that the lifting eye cleats are not pretty! Have you reinforced the deck when adding cleats? If so, what did you use? I was thinking about marine plywood, but I worry about moisture getting in there, etc. I think I will go with a standard cleat because I like the idea of smaller holes in deck.
Thanks again.
Don

Tidbart
04-18-2013, 07:01 AM
I used two like this.... http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/neat-cleat Actually, I like them so much, I put them on the stern, also.

They work great, keep a low profile, and were easy to install. Installation was, drill two holes, epoxy the inside of the holes, install cleat. Done. It was that easy. I may have put a light bead of caulk on the bottom of the cleat, also.

No matter what kind you go with, waterproof the holes and you will never have a problem. The deck in that areas is over a an inch thick, maybe an inch and a half. Structurally there is no issue, they just hold lines and bumpers. It is not like you are going to lift the boat by them.

Bob

CHACHI
04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I used two like this.... http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/neat-cleat Actually, I like them so much, I put them on the stern, also.

They work great, keep a low profile, and were easy to install. Installation was, drill two holes, epoxy the inside of the holes, install cleat. Done. It was that easy. I may have put a light bead of caulk on the bottom of the cleat, also.

No matter what kind you go with, waterproof the holes and you will never have a problem. The deck in that areas is over a an inch thick, maybe an inch and a half. Structurally there is no issue, they just hold lines and bumpers. It is not like you are going to lift the boat by them.

Bob

+1

Ken

gcarter
04-18-2013, 12:07 PM
The TR came w/4 Accon 6" pop-up cleats around the cockpit. I was determined to get some anyway, so that was one task I didn't have to do.
I added a fifth when I removed the bow lifting eye. They come w/aluminum backing plates so I didn't reinforce the deck. I'm not too worried about stress because I don't do stupid things like try to tow w/cleats, you have bow and stern eyes for that (or should have anyway).
Because the under bow area will soon be carpeted, I added the plastic drain cups that Accon offers for about $1.00/ea. See picture.
The two cleats in front of the cockpit and the single where the lifting ring was have these cups. They aren't designed to completely seal the deck, but will carry away the majority of rain water (I hope).
Please don't make too much fun of the extra LONG cleat mounting screw in the picture. I meant to change it, and still may....................

Tidbart
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
If I remember correctly, the Accon cleats require a template (included), to cutout the required area. This does make the installation a little more difficult, especially for those who don't normally do this type of work. This is why I like the Atwood design.

B

biggiefl
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
I used these Accons. 4.5" midship and 6" stern.75540No need for a jigsaw, just 2 small holes like a regular cleat.

mattyboy
04-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Biggie those are the ones I have for the hornet haven't installed them yet . I like the two smaller holes and they can be sealed so no water gets into or needs to be drained under the deck. The ones that Tidbart posted i think look the best but I can't used cause my deck is too thick well I could use the 10 inch ones but that would look weird hanging a bumper from.

biggiefl
04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Yea...I am not a big fan of sawzawing my deck. These are nice, neat, and can fit in thick decks. The rears draining into the bildge did not bother me but the midships did. Plus if you leave them up for extended periods of time you don't have this giant drain hole when it rains, no springs to break, etc. I have seen Boston Whalers where they put in pop-ups. How are they gonna drain them so the foam don't get wet? Same can go for our wood coring if not sealed properly.

gcarter
04-18-2013, 02:25 PM
How do they drain????
You use the cups and hoses to carry the water away.

biggiefl
04-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Pop-ups & pull-ups you need the cup & hose to drain the water someplace. The accons I posted above fit flush with deck and do not need drains, just like a regular cleat. You can see the drain hole in the above pic that keeps water from laying under the cleat and on the deck.