PDA

View Full Version : Looking for birdpoints

Conquistador_del_mar
04-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Last Sunday I drove my family out to our local sand islands in my 1988 Donzi 23' center console fishing boat to look for arrowheads and do a little fishing. I am going out again this afternoon for more of the same after a good rain this week hopefully revealed some more. I found the set of 5 birdpoints last Sunday (the smallest is the size of a dime) and the others on recent outings- :yes: Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
04-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Here are a few things we saw and found this afternoon. My step daughter found the nice Edwards birdpoint, my wife found the quartz bead and Dalton point (around 8000 years old), and I found the copper piece used to make copper tips 100+ years ago. Even the baby and Bear had a great time today. Bill

Jraysray
04-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Is that some type of burial site? Whats up with the bone? Really cool!

Conquistador_del_mar
04-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Is that some type of burial site? Whats up with the bone? Really cool!

No, I don't think this island had burials, but I took a picture of this bone to try to ID it at some time (probably coyote or other small mammal). I did find a bison molar on this island a few years ago along with quite a few other bones like the one in the picture. However, on another island 19 human remains were excavated about 25 years ago (they were carbon dated at about 700 years old) after a couple of skulls were discovered by some Boy Scouts after they had eroded out of the sand. All the remains were returned after the Corps of Engineers had the 5 local tribal leaders decide what to do with them - they were all reburied and covered up with heavy equipment flown out to the island with double blade military helicopters. One of my passions is my arrowhead collection from mostly the midwest states so finding them myself is much more exciting than buying them.