PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for insurance on your 22C?

biggiefl
04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Need to get insurance for my 22C. Progressive quoted me $740 for full coverage or $271 for 100/300/100 liability. Is that fair? I have not insured a boat in decades as my past slid in under my home owners.

Carl C
04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Progressive screwed me over on a claim when I was rear-ended in traffic. I switched to Allstate and my annual premium went down below $500. I will NEVER use Progressive again. Do some research on them.

biggiefl
04-12-2013, 10:41 PM
I heard Allstate was good....what do you pay?

Carl C
04-13-2013, 08:06 AM
I just got my new policy and bill. $496.50 total for one year. Allstate. Full coverage.

CHACHI
04-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Carl, does Allstate ask top speed of your boat and what power is in it?

I have Progressive, pay $240.00.

Policy does list "total horsepower" at 385

Liability $300K
Uninsured boater $25K ea person/$50K ea accident
Medical Payments 1K ea person
Comp $30K
Collision $30K
Emergency towing $300.00 ea incident
Roadside assistance included.

I boat on the St. Lawrence River

Ken

Greg Guimond
04-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Does Allstate offer "stated value" coverage?

Greg Guimond
04-13-2013, 09:11 AM
I switched to stated value on my vehicles and it has saved me twice with storm related losses. One car I lost to flood and my first Excursion was totaled in Vermont. They paid the full amount with no squabble. When I got the coverage I did have to prove what I had paid, this might create a problem for Carl given all the upgrades he has done over the years. I wonder how that might work or if it is even possible.

Tidbart
04-13-2013, 09:26 AM
FL, Progressive, $393/yr., 50/100, 1997 22C 415 HP

B

Carl C
04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Carl, does Allstate ask top speed of your boat and what power is in it?
Ken

PM sent. Don't want to open a can of worms on this thread! (PM box full!)

My boat is insured for just under $60,000 if it is stolen or wrecked.

I was never asked the speed or hp of my boat.

CHACHI
04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Carl,mail box cleaned up.

Ken

BUIZILLA
04-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Carl... didn't your application form ask for a vessel speed?

olredalert
04-13-2013, 05:50 PM
----Progressive has the worst reputation in the industry, hands down. Stay away!!!........Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
04-13-2013, 06:49 PM
----Progressive has the worst reputation in the industry, hands down. Stay away!!!........Bill S

+1
I have read quite a few horror stories on the OSO board about Progressive. Apparently they spend the premium money on new advertisements - not necessarily the claims. Bill

biggiefl
04-13-2013, 09:47 PM
So what should I do?? Bob...is that full coverage?

Carl C
04-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Carl... didn't your application form ask for a vessel speed?

No it didn't. HP either.

Thank you, Bill, for validating what I said about Progressive. My horror story is too long to tell here and it's spread out over a half dozen threads.

Tidbart
04-15-2013, 07:27 AM
So what should I do?? Bob...is that full coverage?

Nick,

My coverage is 50/100. Not the 100/300 that you mentioned. I have medical, towing, etc.

B

yembo77
04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
I just did one with Foremost and got full coverage for $129 a year! They asked me for value, engine size, horsepower and top speed. They also had their own specs on the model too. Since it's an 87' ZB21 and not worth much more than $8k, I would suspect this is why my premiums are so low. Also I only run on inland waters and lakes on NY which affects it too.

Matt

mattyboy
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I just did one with Foremost and got full coverage for $129 a year! They asked me for value, engine size, horsepower and top speed. They also had their own specs on the model too. Since it's an 87' ZB21 and not worth much more than $8k, I would suspect this is why my premiums are so low. Also I only run on inland waters and lakes on NY which affects it too.

Matt

Matt
yes the carriers have some kind of spec sheet to cross check info. when I had first got my 67 16 i filled out the form at my agents office they took my check and gave me a temp insurance card. by the time I got over the mountain from Warwick the policy was cancelled. there was a message on my answering machine that they had no way to cross reference the info cause the boat was too old for their database. They found me another carrier that handled classic boats. when i filled out the form for the 68 Hornet I said to them use the same carrier.

BUIZILLA
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
try Hagerty.... they were pushing Classic *style* boat coverage pretty hard at the Taveres Show...

olredalert
04-15-2013, 11:05 AM
----I have several vehicles (both floating and non-floating) insured by Hagerty and they seem like they really know what they are doing. Luckily for me, I have never had a claim, so I cant give you any kind of recommendation in that area. I have only heard good things about checks being written and settlements made though........Bill S

osur866
04-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Markel here for me with stated value, and they DID ask HP and top speed I fully disclosed both and pay 747 a year, had State Farm before but they would not insure with current power/speed. The key is to fully disclose if you've added power or they could deny all of a claim based on failure to disclose.

Greg Guimond
04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
How did they ask you to validate the "stated value"?

osur866
04-16-2013, 07:11 AM
How did they ask you to validate the "stated value"?
With a big ole stack of receipts that I copied and sent in with application.

Greg Guimond
04-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Roger that! Stated value = peace of mind :biggrin:

mc donzi
04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
try Hagerty.... they were pushing Classic *style* boat coverage pretty hard at the Taveres Show...

I went to the Hagerty booth at the Gravenhurst(Ontario) Antique & Classic Boat Show(think Clayton, N.Y.) in July,2012. They lost interest as soon as I mentioned "Donzi". Was advised that they "do not insure performance boats". I am currently with Lloyds...2000-22C-454-385HP, valued at $30,000, trailer valued at $3,000. Both agreed value. Premium is $525.

roadtrip se
04-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Both on my Donzi Classic and Formula Super Sport. If you truly compare all factors of your policy and personal circumstance, not just price, Markel typically offers superior marine protection. Worth a look...

Dave Webb at JW Terrill, 1.800.530.3357, writes my stuff. He knows offshore and he can do a policy anywhere.

Just Say N20
04-16-2013, 11:10 AM
The chairman of the Progressive Corporation, Peter Lewis, is a known 'political associate' of George Soros. Together they financially support many liberal causes.

Just saying, depending on your point of view, this could be a good thing or a bad thing. :shades:

biggiefl
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Progressive with my discounts for cars/bikes is $366/yr w$500 ded, 100/300/100 and agreed value at $13k. I don't like to over insure as I don't plan on making a claim and a check for $13k should be able to fix anything I break. I am going to check with my collector car insurance but at least I have this for now. Reason I asked here is my "agent' quoted me $760/yr for Progressive, I guess she gets a $400 commission as Progressive themselves gave me the above.

BUIZILLA
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
you wouldn't believe the quote I got yesterday for both my boats from Boat US

it was more than full coverage for a coastal $600,000 house with wind and hurricane coverage.....

and, they refused to accept *stated value* even with proof of purchase, upgrade receipts, and pictures, and survey's...

Soros and Progressive? that's reason enough to bail out......

biggiefl
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Back in 1994 I had boat US for my Hydra-Sports and it was $900/yr with $30k value. When I moved to FL it was almost double because it gets used year round so I dropped it. 2 years ago when I got the 22 I did an online quote from progressive and it was like $1700 so I did not pursue it further. This post showed me there are other alternatives and to pick up the phone.

Thanks everyone.

Just Say N20
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Seems like boat insurance rates are very much influenced by location.

I got the Ski-Sporter (pre-Eickert engine) insured for $20K thru Farmers. Normally anything this vintage over $15K they require a survey, but the underwriter is at our marina and knows the boat personally. They asked both hp and top speed. $600/year, which was $300 LESS than State Farm, who has 3 cars, a motorcycle, the 38 Carver, our home and lots of additional riders.

I boat on both inland lakes, and Lake Michigan.

osur866
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes Bill, when I talked to my agent about insurance I fully disclosed everything down to where I boat and Markel knows the full exposure they have taken on, I told them I do poker runs and where I boat.

olredalert
04-16-2013, 09:59 PM
----A year ago when I was finishing up the Fino I sort of got seduced into insuring with a company other than Hagerty by a friend. Price with $125,000 agreed policy was $1450 without the trailer. Just today I changed back to Hagerty and they gave me more coverage as well as covering the trailer all for $1250. I really wasnt looking for a cheaper price in particular, just more piece of mind. I had heard some disturbing rumors about the "other company" and just didnt want to loose sleep over it. Nice but actually not that much of a surprise.
----I do think that Hagerty is stretching out into the "collectable" Donzi arena. At least thats what they said in Algonac last summer at the ACBS show.......Bill S

biggiefl
04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
$125k is way off of 22C. 10% seems reasonable as mine for $20k would only be $200...not gonna happen. I have not asked about the trailer yet...they did however.

mattyboy
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Bill
yes the LGDCC has been working with Haggerty as an offering to our membership details to follow.

olredalert
04-17-2013, 08:33 AM
----Great Matty!!!!,,,,Im glad as others will be that you guys took the initiative.......Bill S

biggiefl
04-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Keep us posted of course. $348/yr for Progressive w/ $13k agreed.....not too bad I think.

RickSE
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Wow, it certainly is cheaper here out West. I pay $380/yr for agreed value of $50K & 75-MPH with Progressive through USAA Insurance.

biggiefl
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
FL is more due to 365 season.

seabuddy
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
One of the secrets of an annual membership in ACBS is discounted boat insurance. Now, I am talking more from a classic boat angle than from a performance boat angle. In general, a classic was built before 1975. There may be other rules, but if one wants good coverage and not to fool himself into thinking he will get paid when he will not, give Hagerty a call. 1-800-762-2628.

Muti-generational company with the owner (McKeel Hagerty) still coming to work every day. They, like everyone else, are making adjustments daily as business is hard to come by. Call them, tell the them what you want to do and see if they are a good value.

Note, buyer beware, I have always been surprizied at insurance quotes when looking for coverage. I am not with Hagerty as my boat is a 2007. Too new a boat for them.

BLACKBOX
04-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Wow, seems like Progressive isn't very popular here. I have them through USAA, and the coverage and price are excellent. What exactly WERE the claim problems encountered?

biggiefl
04-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I would like to know as well about claims as I insure through them and don't care about changing carriers...not like they will sue you for telling your experience. My point for others is....FL and warmer climates like CA,Al, GA,LA and TX are higher due to the fact we boat 365. When I had insurance in NJ from Boat US and moved to Fl....FORGETTABOUTTIT!

jl1962
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Bringing this thread back to the top as I just got a very good quote from Hagerty on my 16. To echo Matty and Seabuddy, if you have an older Donzi, they WANT your business. If you have a newer Donzi, they still want your business - but you may not be eligible for their Classic Boat program.

Lake George Donzi Classic Members (a recognized ACBS Marque Club) receive a 10% discount, as do ordinary ACBS members. My quote is about 20% cheaper than I was paying at Progressive.

Contact Carla at Hagerty if interested 800 762-2628, ext. 8765.

Wet Vette
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
from my experience business and personal Allstate is only good until you have a claim. then they are terrible. soon you get a sense of where their "GOOD HANDS" are grabbing. I have refused to accept quotes from our agent with Northbrook insurance because they are owned by allstate. I have boats with Harleysville and Safeco. Safco is part of Liberty Mutual. My 22 is with Harleysville.

my son was recently rear ended in his Corvette by someone with Allstate. they are giving him such a run a round on the repair that he is getting an attorney.

Just Say N20
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
As a note about Hagerty, to qualify for a "classic" policy, I found a second qualification besides age. The boat must have a top speed of 60 mph or LESS.

I did not qualify.

jl1962
07-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Bill is correct - older and (relatively) slower boats.

But I'm curious, did you get a quote anyway, and if so, how did it compare?

Thanks.

Just Say N20
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Jay,

I was very forthright with the extremely helpful woman who called me after I filled out the request on line for a quote, including that the engine was 430 hp. She asked how much the boat weighed, and I told her that although I hadn't weighed this particular boat, I would guess that 2,600 lbs was close enough. She plugged 16', 430 hp and 2,600 lbs into some calculator and related to me that it told her the boat would run 92 mph (I wish!).

So she asked me how fast it went. I told her I honestly didn't know, as I hadn't done a sustained wide open run yet, but I guessed it would be around 70 mph. That was when she told me that to qualify for their "Classic" program, top speed had to be 60 mph or under. She said she thought I would qualify under another category, and started to look up information.

At this point, I told her the boat is currently insured, with an agreed upon replacement value of $20,000 (might be $25,000) for an annual premium of $550. When she learned this, she "suggested" that I had a very good deal with my current insurance situation, and it would probably be best if I just kept them.

So the long answer to your question is no, I didn't get a quote from them. This is not meant as a negative regarding Hagerty. I am just relating my particular experience.

Bill

jl1962
07-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Fair enough.

And thanks!

mattyboy
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
With Bill's feed back we fwd'd onto our rep Carla who is looking at this transaction . she has pulled the file and all the records and knows exactly who Bill spoke to and is now looking at it . there are two tiers of coverage the info that Bill supplied moved the coverage from one tier to another. So we will have an answer soon.

biggiefl
07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
I just put in for a quote....will keep you posted.

Just Say N20
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Please don't take my posting that I am in any way attempting to cast a negative light on Hagerty. I have heard nothing but positive about them.

I thought my experience might provide some additional information that would be helpful to someone considering them for insurance coverage.

jl1962
07-02-2013, 03:19 PM
No worries, Bill.
I know I didn't read anything negative into your post - and it sounds like you have a pretty good deal. Sometimes it's just good to get another quote.

I just wanted to impart that Hagerty was very positive in their outreach to our community. Carla stressed that they "get" old Donzis and that she was at the Hopatcong, NJ ACBS show two weeks ago hanging out w/ the classic runabout set. I think it's a sign of acceptance that big insurers are trying to get their hands around the Donzi Marque.

Obviously our boats are all a little different and some are a lot different but give them a shout if you think your boat fits the bill.

-Jay

mattyboy
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Bill
it is exactly the kind of feedback we were looking for , Carla was extremely happy to get the feed back so quickly.

khbtskrh
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Have you ever viewed some basketball battler lose a crazy amenable layup who wounded your partner's organization? Do typically the scores keeper or scores owner whizz "error" to the scoreboard? The solution isn't an. 1. Your Lamb body leather-based handbag is a laptop bag which will but not only appears wonderful nevertheless is very trendy. Pomades were definitely common in the 19th century along with stayed your favourite grooming system to get adult men over the early that will core 20th centuries, setting up a contemporary, lustrous appearance. Staying power hitters arrive at to every one farms. beats by dre (http://www.beacheasynj.com/page7.htm) Just about every little little league karate, twelfth grade snowboarding, plus secondary education baseball team typically now makes use of a upvc composite baseball baseball bat. Most people typically conclude all of our apply every day by using probably in relation to 5 bunting exercises we work with. 1 servings margarita mix It truly is involving not one but two forms: crimson and blond grapefruit. Also you can have give assistance with legal premiums when you're incurred for the targeted traffic breach. Alaska Halibut Salmon Do some fishing An agreeable Actions With regard to Amateur Fisherman The right fly fishing line as well as baitcasting reel set-up can lead to a balance somewhere between unwanted weight, durability and strength. Would you like to go with a hobby? In case the interact might be absolutely, well its time for it to decide upon some sort of Alaska halibut fish sportfishing. air max 1 (http://lenouvelliste.com/sliders.htm) You could look into the mail mainly because it is based on its watery severe for a crushed lime stone plus coral reefs bottom level. We know of which profits can be perfect for health and fitness, yet you hardly ever think of where did they are generally excellent together with in what way some people benefit. Often, you have got all of us within "artichoke, " nevertheless I forever disappointed during cafes plus parties, together with So i am at this point to consider my personal tackle it tremendous modern satellite dish. It might be known as grapefruit seedling acquire and / or GSE. A new backpack bag provides a number of valuable characteristics in which moves good utilizing different conditions and also individualities. oakley sunglasses (http://www.hotsunglasses-us.com/) There is the advantage of avoiding the actual growing to a grape vine's canopy while, helping the actual fruit so that you can ripen quickly. In case lenders abdominal rumble resulting from emptiness subsequently The yuletide season food was not thus to their important quality, on the other hand in the event the bellies need to bloat then simply the following therefore establishes the fact that resting packed every : and it is all of into one. A great-grandmother came from South america - think of tamales not to mention enchiladas with soy cheese for a Party Event meal, pursued by chocolate shortbread cookies regarding meal. These are low cost, as well as there's a wide range of types readily available. The road can be widely known due to the magnificence together with sophistication. Alas it happens to be hard to name the fundamental cause involving lecithin (eggs, soybeans and of milk) as a result of chemical music labels. coach bags (http://fashionbagsonline2013.webs.com/) Preheat the actual furnace to somewhat of a medium warmth [approximately a hundred and eighty amounts C] Liveliness of a single tangerine; This kind of portable money appliance software is likely to make factors feasible for you by doing each and every cellphone, every single ipad as well as every single mobile phones any wealth creation appliance for you. In the operations, user might find the main points of performing GOOD OLD RAM, how long it would last, it is far easier for user. 3. Possibly even dried shrimps, daphnia mealworms etc can be used. beats by dre uk (http://www.beartradeshow.com/wp-atdm.php) The easiest way these types of cookers jobs tend to be how a dinners might be heated up through your bottom part the place that the technique to attain temperature is to be found. The countless health and fitness benefits that one can easily gain out of taking in China dinner to give up excess fat will be demonstrated from the different health-related studies executed. This definitely will assist you to convey more influence when using the knife's motion. Some other quite a cool possibility with the women's variety often is the FS 462. Nevertheless, its real than a straight-forward utensil is definitely extra harmful over a razor-sharp utensil. Ginger really helps to reduce throwing up and / or queasieness. There can be directions, which have been out there out of easy foodstuff quality recipes to sophisticated hors d'oeauvres. http://www.r4l.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10337&p=101928#p101928http://tv.lm.konin.pl/forum/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=23http://autoweb.nfu.edu.tw/modules/newbb/newtopic.php?forum=2http://xgo.crashproductionz.com/index.php?action=post;topic=212634.0;num_replies=0 http://www.mengjijin.com/viewthread.php?tid=2901&extra=http://www.quangcao.edu.vn/threads/10614-Vorenglade/?p=77178&posted=1http://www.theshiningforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37457&p=67574http://blog.apao.idv.tw/RRU/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44919&sidac093e03dd70http://community.kinmen.org.tw/qionglin/modules/newbb/newtopic.php?forum=7%255DH108%2BResult:%2Bchosen%2 Bnickname%2B%2522DyncAccut%252http://www.ahldiyala.net/vb/showthread.php?p=158058#post158058http://community.kinmen.org.tw/qionglin/modules/newbb/newtopic.php?+forum=7%5DH108+Result:+chosen+nickna me+%22DyncAccut%22;+captcha+recognized;%3Cbr+/%3E%0A+success;+BB-code+not+working;http://tv.lm.konin.pl/forum/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=23http://autoweb.nfu.edu.tw/modules/newbb/newtopic.php?forum=2http://xgo.crashproductionz.com/index.php?action=post;topic=212634.0;num_replies=0 http://www.mengjijin.com/viewthread.php?tid=2901&extra=http://www.quangcao.edu.vn/threads/10614-Vorenglade/?p=77178&posted=1http://www.theshiningforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37457&p=67574http://forum.agroinfo.ro/index.php?showtopic=14744&p=38647

biggiefl
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Got a quote. For my 94 with 300hp and an agreed value of $15k plus $1500 for trailer($25premium) it was $484/yr. I have mine w/progressive at $13k and no trailer for $348. Reason I have it at $13k is I would need a survey for anything higher and it is not worth it for $2k. The quote I would say is about $50-60 more than progressive if you made them level. The problem I have with them is I clearly stated it sits on a trailer at my house 365/yr as they make you answer some questions. They then send me this Hurricane questionnaire about what items I keep on the boat(duct tape and how many rolls?), what items I will remove from it for the storm(dingy, electronics, etc). How far to a secluded mooring....a bunch of nonsense as it will be hooked up to my truck if I evacuate. Lastly the deductible is 10% or $1500 which is a BIT steep. I will be staying with my company for now.

craigdskilling
07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure you are going to like this but I pay nothing for my 1984 18classic.they put under my house ins because it is 18 and it sits in my driveway and when I do tow it will be covered under my truck ins.Now if it was bigger than 18 then I would have to pay more.they value it at 18000. I said to her that boats sell for a 1000 a foot when you get to those ages of boats.And I am covered in the water also.I am with a mutal ins company and I live in Ontario.

joseph m. hahnl
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
That is hilarious:rofl:. To be so honest and fourth coming to an insurance company. Because Insurance companies are a real stand up kinda business them selves:D

biggiefl
07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Joe....they find out you lied about something....they won't pay. It is one thing to understate speed or if you added hp and it still says 300hp on the title, etc but putting a 500hp V8 in a V6 boat will get you $0 come claim time.