PDA

View Full Version : How to get best initial timing, installing distr.

miike
04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
I am about to prime the oil pump and put in the distr in my new motor. Since I need to start the cam break in and go up to speed immediately I want to get as close to 8 degrees BTDC at idle. Is this possible without a timing gun on it?

Thanks

MOP
04-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I take it you are running a flat tappet cam, rollers do not need the high RPM break in. Without a light may be tough, with the old point distributors it was easy to get close. Just put the timing pointer on 8* then rotate the distributor until it triggered the spark, I have not tried it with an IV setup but it may work.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
put the engine at 8* BTDC

line up the center of the rotor pin with the center of the cap terminal, and then secure the distributor

have fun :p

joseph m. hahnl
04-13-2013, 07:13 AM
I would think you could set it with an OHM meter.With the Ignition off and the crank and timing pointer orientated. Remove the coil wire and the # 1 wire from the disributor cap , clip the red wire from the OHM meter to where the coil wire was and black to where the #1 wire was. turn the distributer back and forth until you get resitance.

You can also use the powered light bulb method . Run the negative wire from a 9 volt battery to the coil input on the distrbutor,hitch another wiree on the #1 input on the distributor and the other end of that wire to an LED - pole .Then a Positive wire from the LED positive pole to the 9 volt battery positive. move the distributor back and forth.The light will come on when contacts is made by the distributor.