PDA

View Full Version : Awlgrip question...to apply clear or refinish?

Craig S
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Well, we've got some blushing in the topcoat on the foredeck on the Nova. We've color sanded the Awlgrip, and its very smooth now. When I look close, it does look porous, and doesn't feel as slick as the unsanded areas.

I understand I can either apply Awlgrip clear, or reshoot the white. Is there a preference?

Thanks,
Craig

Conquistador_del_mar
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
The blushing was probably caused by dew that formed on the deck before it cured. In your case, I think white would be the best choice. Bill

Craig S
04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks!

VetteLT193
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Is it true Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000?

Morgan's Cloud
04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Unquestionably , IMO , redo the white with more of the same.

When I did my first 60% resto on mine I thought I'd get a better end result with a final coat of clear on the hull. In the end the finish was identical to the original colour only coat. And not only that , I thought I'd be getting an extra layer of protection/durability but it ended up cracking / flaking after a few years. I would presume that was because it doesn't have the solids or body that a colour coat does.

Unless you're utilising the Awlcraft 2000 which can be blown in , respray the entire deck.
Do it right, now , pay the extra $ and you wont regret it for many years to come.

Craig S
04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I think its Awlgrip. I'll check.

VetteLT193
04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
If it is awlgrip then you don't need the clear. I don't think it is even recommended for use over colored awlgrip like a traditional base coat / clear coat paint would be.

Awlcraft is a different product and they get mixed up. I think Awcraft is rated for 8 years direct sun without fade and Awlgrip is 10 years. The difference is pretty moot on boats that will be stored inside or covered so many smaller boats end up with Awlcraft because it's easier to apply. Yachts that spend their whole lives outside that extra couple of years of fade protection sends them towards Awlgrip.