PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to get Brown / Gross Waterline Stains Off

BOSTONCAMARO
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
What do you guys recommend, it is not real bad, but of course I want it gone before it goes in the water this year. I have used compound, wax and also the stain remover made for this from the local marine supply store.

Any particular brand our source? I have heard that some are costic and can affect the hull...I definitely do not want that.

roadtrip se
04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Start with Comet liquid. Move to the Works. Don't leave it on for more than a few seconds. Try in a safe spot, first. I have also used Soft Scrub, before, for really tough stuff. Again, don't leave it on very long. Good luck.

JayZ
04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
comet, ajax or bar keepers friend. You can also use tidy bowl believe it or not. If it is serious like you've been running the mississippi river or something then FSR works (Fiberglass stain remover) -available at west etc.

Ghost
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Once you've washed it the best you can with soap and water...

IF it is gelcoat and not paint, I'd NOT use anything abrasive. Instead, would use FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover). It's a mild acid made for use on gelcoat. It's a blue jelly that comes in a little tub. All you do is wipe it on to the wet stained surface with a wet sponge, wait 60-120 seconds, then rinse thoroughly so you don't leave any residual acid.

Where an abrasive will inherently have to wear away some of the gel that is stained, I think the acid lifts the stain out of the gel.

Works like absolute magic in my experience when nothing else would. Once in a while I'd have to apply it more than once to a stubborn spot, or leave it to work a bit longer, but it ALWAYS did the trick. And you don't scratch the gel with anything abrasive in the process. Gel color looks like new after. It's so good, I realized that the whole bottom actually had a slight discoloration that I hadn't noticed, and I cleaned the whole bottom with it once every season or two.

Don't know if it is safe for paint but I suspect not.

BUIZILLA
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
product called > On-Off available at West Marine

or if your a cheapskate like me > muriatic acid in a garden sprayer :D

Conquistador_del_mar
04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
The best stuff I ever found for the brown water line is Zap, but CLR or Limeaway work fairly well too. Use a rag with gloves on or use a handled mop. Be sure to rinse it off right after getting it clean so work in small sections.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Zap, CLR, or Limeaway. Zap is great for the job.

Tidbart
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
On & Off Hull Cleaner.

Spray it on, quick brushing, rinse off. Stains gone. Keep it off an alum trailer. Has a mild acid.

I have using this stuff for years, amazingly simple and easy to use.

B

BOSTONCAMARO
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
On & Off Hull Cleaner.

Spray it on, quick brushing, rinse off. Stains gone. Keep it off an alum trailer. Has a mild acid.

I have using this stuff for years, amazingly simple and easy to use.

B

thanks, it is a later hull, one made my chris craft (someone here checked number before)

so i am thinking it is gel coat

any place to buy online? maybe ill try the on and off hull cleaner

thanks, tim

Tidbart
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Amazon, Jamestown, West Marine, Bass Pro, .......

Be smart when applying. Keep upwind.:p, or just limit breathing of spray. Keep trailer wet. Use light brush, not coarse.

B

jl1962
04-08-2013, 01:50 PM
+1 on FSR

Active ingredient is oxalic acid aka toilet bowl cleaner.

Also, as has been stated above, lots of fresh water and don't leave it on too long.

Over time, using this product will probably make the gel more porous, which will also make it get brown/yellow faster - so it is a slippery slope.

I would use the FSR if REALLY bad and then use Starbrite w/ Teflon or equivalent to help keep the boat clean.

Tidbart
04-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't doubt that FSR and On&Off are pretty similar in makeup. Sounds like it.

mattyboy
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g9524-hot-rims-all-wheel-tire-cleaner/

johnnywhale
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Not quite the same thing, but I get maple leaf stains off with the Magic Eraser. Anyone tried that?

Ghost
04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
+1 on FSR

Over time, using this product will probably make the gel more porous, which will also make it get brown/yellow faster - so it is a slippery slope.

I would use the FSR if REALLY bad and then use Starbrite w/ Teflon or equivalent to help keep the boat clean.

Great point. I always waxed the boat preseason and postseason, sometimes mid, and always waxed the waterline twice to ensure I didn't miss spots. And kept the boat on a rack. End of season, I'd usually have one or two very small spots that wanted a little FSR.

It removes wax btw, so plan to do the waxing last.

jl1962
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
It removes wax btw, so plan to do the waxing last.

Strong stuff. It may also remove your fingerprints!
:eek:

Sweet little 16
04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
meguiar's hot rims purple bottle

MOP
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Don't forget McGuire's wheel cleaner, the "Harbor Master" found that years back works great.

mattyboy
04-09-2013, 07:11 AM
yes Meguiar's hot rims in the purple bottle

yembo77
04-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Mary Kates On/Off hull cleaner. The stuff is amazing and made to remove the biological algae that causes the brown stain. Won't hurt the gel but does mark the galvanized trailer. Lol

duckhunter
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
I use some sort of Starbrite boat soap to get the majority of the TN River off the hull, then turn my 9 yo daughter loose with a magic eraser on the remaining stains. She's right at waterline height while the boat's on the trailer, so this seems to be a good system...

Also started applying Nu Finish last summer. I ran out of the Meguiars flagship boat wax (made out of carnuba and unicorn tears) but had an old half-empty bottle of the Nu Finish in the garage so I gave it a shot. Stuff is inexpensive, works pretty darn well, and is easy to apply and buff by hand.

Marlin275
04-09-2013, 09:36 AM
meguiar's hot rims purple bottle

MOP

Don't forget McGuire's wheel cleaner, the "Harbor Master" found that years back works great.

Yes it works great!

VetteLT193
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
On off is like a nuclear disaster in application. If you go that route wear gloves, mask, old clothes, eye wear, etc.

FSR is a gel version of it, way easier to apply and not as strong. I don't feel the need to get dressed in full on safety gear to apply it. The gel means it it stays in place so you can let it sit for a bit while it does its job. It works just as good on 99% of jobs as on/off but it takes 5-10 minutes to work while you sit there and wait. It may require a second application but it's easy to apply so no big deal.

On off I'd only suggest for the worst of the worst. Every time I have used it the brown stains come back 10 times faster. FSR doesn't seem to open the Gel's pores as much so it doesn't have the rapid come back effect.

MOP
04-09-2013, 09:52 AM
When using these caustic cleaners wet the trailer down, any drippings will stain aluminum trailers.

mattyboy
04-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Maguiars hot rims purple bottle

Northern Sweet
04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Best and cheapest solution is muratic acid. It's only a few $ gallon. You can get it at any DIY store. It's used to clean old concrete.
Ensure you have gelcoat, and don't get on aluminum trailer. I found simplest method without taking boat off trailer was to wipe on with a damp sponge. Carefull not to get on trailer. Let sit a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly. Just like bleach on a clothes stain, you can actually whatch it dissolve the stains. Rinse really well and put good coat of wax on when complete for future protection.

Wear gloves, long shirt and goggles as this stuff is pretty nasty. And if you just apply as I mentioned (on a rag or sponge) you will use a very small amount, so need not worry about killing the environment.

glashole
04-19-2013, 07:26 AM
http://slimygrimy.com/

works good safe on trailer