PDA

View Full Version : Performance with a shorty on a 22C

Pat McPherson
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I just uncovered my boat from her long winter's knap. After reading posts about how deep the drive is set on these 22s, I took a look at mine. I'm measuring the prop shaft is at least 7-1/2" below the bottom. That's real low as compared to similar boats I've owned in the past, a 24' Pantera and 24' Superboat which had the prop shaft 5-5-1/2" below the bottom. Probably a bit ridiculous to think about a shorty before I've gotten any real time behind the wheel, but hell, it doesn't hurt to ask. What are the speed and handling improvements, if any, with bolting on a -2 lower? Also, would external steering be a must with the shorty? I've got a stock 502 mag bravo combo...

Carl C
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
It's all good. Do it. Full steering is nice but the shorty won't make it required.

Brian41
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
I have install several -2 shorties on 22 Classics and every one of them responded well when they were properly set up (we have found rigging problems from the factory that have cause several 22's to have handling problems that is increased by adding a shorty). As far as hydraulic steering..... they should have all left the factory with it installed.

roadtrip se
04-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I've had one on a 22 since 2001. I did it the same time I upgraded to a 500HP from a 502 Mag. The upgrades added 12 miles per hour to the top end for a 55 horsepower increase, which is not bad. But, adding the shorty is not just a simple bolt-on. It requires tuning changes with your prop selection and changes in the way you drive the boat. And as Brian said, if you have any handling nuances to start with, the shorty accents them. Some guys love the upgrade, some don't.

yeller
04-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I think most are happy with a shorty on a 22. My experience was that porpoising increased, but high speed handling improved. I personally prefer the shorty over the stock B1 because I like to cruise at 50+ and the high speed handling becomes more important. When I'm with my wife, she doesn't like to cruise much over 45 and at those speeds the porpoising makes me wish I had the stock drive.

That's my experience, with my boat. Every boat will react differently.

Pat McPherson
04-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. Tried to install some internal mufflers today but one didn't fit inside the stock tip. Broke the thing trying to get it back out. I guess I need to buy clamp on mufflers or tips with mufflers built in. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Pat McPherson
04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Wrote a reply but it didn't show up.

Carl C
04-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Watch the water pressure. You will probably need to run a relief valve.
Budget in a 4-blade prop. Some of us run Bravo 1s.
You will need a little more positive trim to get the bow light since there will be less leverage.
Rough water handling will be greatly improved.
You will no longer have a built in speedo pick-up so will need to install a pitot or gps.
You may pick up a solid 2 mph on top end.
You can throw a cool rooster tail :).

CHACHI
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Picked up 4 MPH on my 22.

Ken

Pat McPherson
04-10-2013, 06:35 PM
If the gain on top is only 2mph then I don't think I'd be happy; 4mph then it's worth it to me. I'm likely going to add external steering first regardless. I installed the battery today, turn the key, and she fired. Now I've got to get out on the water...

Carl C
04-11-2013, 07:19 AM
If the gain on top is only 2mph then I don't think I'd be happy; 4mph then it's worth it to me. I'm likely going to add external steering first regardless. I installed the battery today, turn the key, and she fired. Now I've got to get out on the water...

Pat, there are variables. I was already running over 80 mph and the faster you are going, the harder it is to pick up 4 mph.

biggiefl
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm running a stock 330, doubt it would do much for me. I'm cool with 65.