PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 250 Drive issues and questions?

72Hornet
03-28-2013, 07:26 PM
My 1968 18 2 plus 3 classic made it to Florida and back to Iowa. I had put about 8 ours on it when the outdrive decided to lock up. We pulled the drive and the upper and lower gear sets seem to be shelled. So my mechanic feels that our best option is to find another outdrive that is in good condition rather than to go through and rebuild the current drive. Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed? It is the original Holman Moody 302 Ford with the Volvo 250 outdrive. I am thinking it is the 1:61 gear ratio. Would a 270 drive work in this application? Appreciate any help!

bertsboat
03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-270-Stern-Outboard-drive-Unit-1976-Californian-V8-/121086096626?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item1c314b34f2&vxp=mtr

mario
03-28-2013, 08:24 PM
;)Did it loose all the oil in drive and get real hot and are all the gears bad upper and lower ?
there are lot of good used drive out there but if yours is nice and original to boat build it and save it
Some guys are scared off gearing volvos lots off math :smile:

penbroke
03-28-2013, 08:38 PM
An AQ-270 should bolt right up with no issues. Just make sure you get the correct (1.61:1) gear ratio and you should be good to go. They are not too hard to come by but it may take a little looking. I have one listed for sale in the parts for sale section here.

Frank

SanDogDewey
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
I just finished hanging a 270 on mine. Worked out great. Make sure you get the steering helmet that matches the bushing on top of the drive. The old 250 had a single bolt bushing and the 270 had a two bolt bushing.

72Hornet
03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
I just finished hanging a 270 on mine. Worked out great. Make sure you get the steering helmet that matches the bushing on top of the drive. The old 250 had a single bolt bushing and the 270 had a two bolt bushing.

Mario, the drive oil was clean and full. I did have some water in the bellows area and the bellows showed signs of dried out rubber, but no overt holes or cracks. Obviously water was in that area. When we disassembled everything, my mechanic thinks that either we broke a gear tooth and that caused the failure. Not sure if it was in the upper or lower gear set. We are unable to get the upper apart, as it seems to be hung up on the housing. We have some filings, but not alot. He mentioned that he had seen alot worse in his day. He was Volvo certified in 1979 and not had one apart for at least 15 years. There just are not that many around here anymore. He works as a parts manager for a large marina in our area. I am just thinking at this point that it would be far easier to find another drive and bolt it up and be on my way. Appreciate all of the input!

f_inscreenname
03-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Just a FYI,
The 270 I have now has a single bolt helmet.
The 250 I just bought is rare but its a 1.31 to 1. You may want to check it.

mattyboy
03-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Royce,
sorry i missed your call last night. that's exactly what happened to mine. the drive is designed to catch all the kibble and bits from the upper to save the lower. so the lower should be ok, Jay is still running mine.

the ratio is made up in the lower so it will be easy to test the ratio with it apart, that also means the uppers are all the same. the 250 and early 270's are pretty much plug and play with the exception of the steering yolk and the splines on the input shaft. The newer drives have a fine spline and the 250 and early 270 had a corse spline. and you have an exisiting steering yolk that it will hang from

your options

1. find a whole 1.6 250 or early 270 and bolt it up if issues arise you should be able to match parts to make it work like taking the motor side of the u joints to match the spline

2. find a whole 2.1 ratio 250/270 cheap and hang your lower on it

3. find a whole 2.1 ratio 250/270 cheap and run a 23 solas on it

4. find an upper on ebay

Frank's outdrive might be the answer but remember shipping cost it might pay to find something local. just confirm the ratio with the seller A LOT of 4 cyl lowers wind up on drives that are for 8 cyl

put these guys on speedial http://www.frenchcreekmarina.com/ and remember we have manuals on our website if you need them

staarrl
04-30-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a very good condition 1.35 ratio 250 drive that will bolt right on. If interested let me know.
Bob

72Hornet
04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Bob, I believe that my gear ratio is 1:61, but not absoulutely sure. My mechanic has a 270 drive on order. If that fails to materialize, I will get in touch. Where are you from? I am so ready for better weather, we have had 4 straight days of 75 plus degree weather, and not rain showers and a chance of snow tomorrow...Go figure! Where else but Iowa!

smidgen too
05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
I have 4 offshore powerboats that are twin engines set ups with Volvo drives, so I'm always checking craigslist ads for guys parting out Bayliners, many had Volvo drives & V8 engines with 1:61 gears. Here in Michigan I pay around $150.00 for a good used fresh water drive.

mphatc
05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I have two Volvo 250 drives off my 1968 Magnum 27, will sell both for $375.00 plus the freight. They are complete, one is bad, both housings and transom plates were just refinished , stripped to bare aluminum an dprofessionally repainted.

I have no idea what ratio they are, tags with serial numbers are illegible . .

Mario L.

Just Say N20
05-15-2013, 09:55 PM
I have a very good condition 1.35 ratio 250 drive that will bolt right on. If interested let me know.
Bob

Just curious, how much you want to get for it?

I will begin testing on my Ski-Sporter shortly. I have a 1.61 290 w/trim, but the Solas 23, is about as much prop as is available. I should know pretty quickly if it is enough for my engine. If not, I might have to formulate “plan B."