PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up cleats, any opinions?

83 Classic 6.2MX
03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi-
Anyone have any thoughts or preferences on pop-up cleats? Had my '83 Classic repainted over the winter and well, you know, the project scope has expanded just slightly to include a new engine hatch, rechrome of all the deck hardware, new tab actuators and new 'what ever else contacts the fresh paint' right down to the rollers on the trailer :biggrin:.

So I am thinking about adding a pair of aft cleats similar to what I see in pictures of later model 18 Classics but am strongly considering pop-ups vs the typical stand-off the deck type. Also curious to hear if there are preferred mounting locations. It hasn't been a real issue tying the boat off using the fore and aft lifting rings but the 3rd tie point would be handy for a number of situations, one of which being a better place for a fender/bumber than the hand rail.

I like, and have been looking at the Hardin Marine offering (used to have an '02 Cig and I believe that is what they used) and am looking at the 4.5" pull-up type like this: http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14171-slim-line-pull-up-cleats.aspx
I'm sure there is an opinion about sticking with the factory configuration but frankly I prefer the cleaner flush mounted look and would rather not have the added snagging point. In fact I am even having heartburn about installing anything but having the aft dock line draped over the fresh engine hatch from the lifting-eye is troubling me.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated...
Hoping to get a few pic.s up shortly but she is looking sweet and I can't wait for the warm weather!

Thanks,
-Paul