PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Snowmobilers, Sno Mo IX!

Donziweasel
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, this past week we completed Sno Mo IX-Sleds of Mass Destruction. Donzi was represented by Last Real Texan (Brian Rose), Hedgehog (Bill Patterson) and RoadtripSE (Todd Summerville) along with a mix of my local buddies and freinds from back east. There were 13 of us total and we spent 3 days ripping powder in the Wyoming backcountry. We stayed at a lodge 28 miles in the backcountry that is only accessible by snowmobile. We had fantastic powder, enough liqour to kill an elephant, amazing food, and a great time. Everyone was on a ripping late model Ski Doo or Arctic Cat snowmobile. Great trip! Here are some pics.

Carl C
03-02-2013, 12:50 PM
So who was fastest and what kind of sled? :)

Donziweasel
03-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Mine, 2012 Arctic Cat M1100 Proclimb Limited Turbo, highly modified. It is the orange and white one in the pic with all the sleds lined up getting fuel. 230+hp. The rest were pretty much stock, 160-165 hp except for my M1000 that is modified with 190 hp and an additional 20 hp nitrous shot, although I never turned on the NOS. Todd rode it most of the time.

In the Donzi flag pic, from the left, is Todd in the blue and black jacket, then me, then Brian then Bill.

Carl C
03-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Alright John! You da man! http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Winter/36_7_17.gif

Jraysray
03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
John,
How did the eye hold up with all of that action? I would think OUCH!

Donziweasel
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
The first day we had some flat light and it was a little tough. I had to run next to someone elses tracks sometimes to get depth perception. The rest of the time it was sunny and I was fine. Two days after the trip, this past Thursday, I had the silicone oil that has been in my eye since December 7th removed. Eye is swollen shut. This surgery seemed to be a lot more traumatic than the first. Doc is pleased though and I should start regaining vision in the next few days. I have a catarct coming in really bad though. It is gauranteed when using the silicone oil, so I will have to have another surgery to fix it later. Here is a pic of my eye from yesterday, but it is much worse today.

roadtrip se
03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Most challenging, coolest, and memorable thing I have done in years! Thanks John!

fegettes
03-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I would really have liked to have made that trip, but, the thread died. And then there were issues with your eye, so didn't pursue an update.

Steve

yembo77
03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Awesome western riding on some long track mountain sleds! I just got back from north country NY, Speculator/Old Forge area and I'm still sore. Pretty decent winter but still crap in the snow department compared to good years. Do you guys mostly free ride, carve new trails, or follow a guided trail system? What kind of average mileage are you doing in a day? And yeah, that lodge must have fuel too? Also, how do you even used 230 hp? 5 inch lugs? LOL That's gotta be hill climb power. On the flat that's an 8 second sled in a drag. Insanity. Glad for no injuries. 2 died this weekend colliding head on across a lake. Helmets exploded on impact. Alcohol was involved as always.

-Matt

Donziweasel
03-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I would really have liked to have made that trip, but, the thread died. And then there were issues with your eye, so didn't pursue an update.

Steve, never got much interest here, so most was posted on the other site. Love to have ya next year, always looking for some fresh meat on the trip. I am not going anywhere and next year is the 10th anniversary, so I have some good ideas for a great trip. If you want to see all the pics, look me up on facebook, a bunch of guys posted some good pics. I am under John Pearson in jackson, WY

Awesome western riding on some long track mountain sleds! I just got back from north country NY, Speculator/Old Forge area and I'm still sore. Pretty decent winter but still crap in the snow department compared to good years. Do you guys mostly free ride, carve new trails, or follow a guided trail system? What kind of average mileage are you doing in a day? And yeah, that lodge must have fuel too? Also, how do you even used 230 hp? 5 inch lugs? LOL That's gotta be hill climb power. On the flat that's an 8 second sled in a drag. Insanity. Glad for no injuries. 2 died this weekend colliding head on across a lake. Helmets exploded on impact. Alcohol was involved as always.

Matt, we have 2000 miles of groomed trails in Wyoming. We basically go 28 miles into the backcountry and stay at a lodge only accessible by snowmobile. We take two tow behinds to bring in our liqour/beer and a few other things, like oil. The lodge is fantastic. They do have fuel. First night they served us roasted pork loin, second, prime rib. Also included is breakfast and a box lunch.

http://www.boxylodge.com/Home.htm

For riding on this trip, we basically follow very remote trails with great powder fields and bowls along it to play in. When I ride with my local crew, no trails, pure boondocking.

My trip is a mix of locals and freinds from back east. Rider levels are from beginner to expert. Last year I decided to invite a Donzi member for the first time, Hedgehog (Bill Patterson, one the people who put on the Chattanooga Donzi Gathering). He did great, so this year I extended the invite to a few more. Poodle (Scot Baxter) was coming also, but had to bail out due to work.

I work with several rental shops and get huge discounts on sleds for everyone. This year, it was basically 200.00 for three days on hot, top of the line powder machines. Normally it would be over 600.00. We make t-shirts, get everyone avalanche equipement, and everyone stays at my ranch the night before we go in and the night after we get out. It is a great trip.

Some of the guys have uploaded pics onto Shutterfly. Here is the link, I hope it works.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=c269c10cc0e636d66cbbd47cbb382743

I will post some better pics this week on here.

yembo77
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
That. Sounds. Like. A. Dream!

Dude, when we rent, we rent for $250 a day! And is nice stuff but no long track mountain sleds! Absolutely awesome. I rode out west by Keystone Co last year. I was solo so I took a guided tour to a summit. Not a bad ride but the sled was a carbed RMK 500 Polaris. Kinda weak and it got weaker the higher we went. Lol.

Wow what a ride. That trail system sounds amazing and the bowls look awesome. Nice to hear about the different levels of riders too. I thought you guys were all hardcore mountain riders who only powder turn! Lol. I'd put myself somewhere in the middle with about 10 years riding.

Matt

fegettes
03-07-2013, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Donziweasel;636237]Steve, never got much interest here, so most was posted on the other site. Love to have ya next year, always looking for some fresh meat on the trip. I am not going anywhere and next year is the 10th anniversary, so I have some good ideas for a great trip. If you want to see all the pics, look me up on facebook, a bunch of guys posted some good pics. I am under John Pearson in jackson, WY

You lost me, what other site?

Donziweasel
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
D.org

thriller
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Steve? Have you been under a Rock the last 4 years? just ribbing ya...I too would like to throw this trip on my Bucket List...Looks FUN!:checkered:

Donziweasel
03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Here's a few pics of me making the biggest climb and decent of the trip. :)

ITTLFLI
03-15-2013, 07:34 AM
Great pics!!! Looks like a blast!!

Donziweasel
03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Byron,
I might have a spot next year. You interested? :)

ITTLFLI
03-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Definitely!!!

Donziweasel
03-18-2013, 03:36 PM
I will keep you in the loop. Next year is Sno Mo X, our 10 year anniversary of these trips. Going to have to plan something special. It may also be the last. The trips are a blast, but a lot of work and responsibility for me. We'll see how it goes. :)

fegettes
03-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I would be interested, but if you drop the thread again, and jump to another site, you will loose me again.

Steve