PDA

View Full Version : Take a boating vacation, and jump some ocean waves

mphatc
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
A short while ago my wife and I took a vacation to the Bahamas. Totally unplanned, I found a link on OSO for a small Eco resort where the owner offered to teach one how to drive a boat in ocean swells and waves.

In nothing less than a Pantera 28!

So why would I contemplate this.... ? Linda and I own a Donzi Corsican, and as and I'm restoring a Magnum 27. I know that trying to teach Linda to drive the Magnum was not something a husband should try if he wants to stay happily married, and I also wanted her to enjoy rough water and big waves. Water and waves that one likely won't take any Donzi Classic into....... Here was our opportunity. And this is available to anyone who wants a good time in warm water and a great winter escape!

We went to Lubber's Landing in the Abacos. You get there by boat, a small open sport fishing boat that you rent for the week. Great opportunities to swim, snorkel, fish, kite sailing, and exploring the islands.
And there are some great places to visit...
Hometown, a great old village , artsy, some small shops, and a beach ,on the outer ocean side, harbor front restaurants.
Man-O-War Cay, the old ship building harbor of the Abacos, great shops, Albury Skiffs are built here.
Then there's Guana Cay, here you'll find Nipper Beach Bar, Check it out at www.Nippersbar.com good drinks, awesome beach below.
To the south of Lubber's Landing is Little Harbor, with a great art gallery and Pete's Pub. Good food, and the art gallery, WOW, who would have thought... ?

But the best of all was where we stayed, www.lubberslanding.com
The accommodations are really cool cabins tucked in to the natural surroundings, very island contemporary, air conditioned should it be hot, or just turn on the cathedral ceiling fan with open windows.
Austin and Amy are the hosts, a fun great couple that have created this resort themselves. They have a great bar, a full restaurant, island style.

Austin has the Pantera, Amy has her own Superboat 24, so they are serious boaters. If you ever wanted to learn how to throttle a boat in big water, where it launches off every wave, Austin's a great teacher. He took Linda out and had her driving and throttling, using the tabs in 20 minutes and jumping waves. This from a woman who would never drive the Corsican, and every time our Donzi launched would ask me to slow down....
So as you sit in your snowed in world, wondering if the spring will melt the ice, give yourself a break. Go boating, drink some rum, catch a fish, sit on the beach, or spend a day at Lubber's on the dock reading a good book.
And while you're there, say hello to Austin and Amy for us!
Linda and I are planning our return, by Magnum 27!

Mario L.

ralphvc
03-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I spent much time in the caribbean and always wanted to try bahamas. Next trip by "Magnum"? How far from Florida (where) to this place. I have a 28 Maltese might be a great adventure.

duckhunter
03-01-2013, 10:57 AM
The Abacos are on the far east side of the Bahamas. Would be an awesome run from Lauderdale or WPB, maybe stop somewhere overnight and make it a two-day trip.

That sounds like an awesome vacation! I never would have associated offshore boats with an "eco resort."

So where are the pictures? :shades:

VetteLT193
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
This particular place is out past Marsh Harbor. We used to go that way 2 different ways... one would be to run to Port Lucaya, stay overnight and refuel, then go through the Grand Lucayan Waterway and over to the Abacos (typically we would go to Green Turtle Cay for a couple nights, it's kinda in the middle and there are cool things to see around there)

The other way, which is now defunct, is run to Walkers cay, then over to Green turtle.

A third option I haven't done but makes sense is to run to west end, refuel, then hop to the Abacos on the North side. That skips the waterway and puts you on the right side of the big island.

From Green turtle you can hop to Marsh harbor then to lubbers. any or all of it can be done in a day depending on the weather and your mood. you may or may not have to stop for fuel which is why the hopping makes it easier / safer. Personally I like to plan my destinations to have a minimum of a quarter tank left.

MOP
03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Mario Bonnie and I did Guana Cay along with all the other places mentioned, there were only two places to stay and only one bar on the island at the place we stayed. On the far end of the island there is a deserted cruise ship complex that still had a Dolphin show, that was Bonnie's first time swimming with them. They have since been moved over by Nassau, she swam with them there again. There was miles of deserted beaches, I have a few pic's of walking natural down the beach no tan lines. We were for the most part the only ones on the beach. The next time there Nippers appeared much to the dislike of the natives, the natives are a strange bunch descending from British criminals shipped there. There was a the big up scale Japanese housing complex being built on the one end. We explored the island on a golf cart which was great on the beach. Next time I see you I will dig out a bunch of photos, I bet it has developed quite a bit since our last trip about 15 years back.

Phil

Pismo
03-02-2013, 03:29 PM
So the owners of the hotel had a Pantera 28 and took you out for rides in it? Even more, they let you drive, etc? I can't believe it, that would be the greatest place I have ever stayed..fantastic.

mphatc
03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Actually, YES! Austin let both of drive, though when I had the throttles he asked me to back off a few revs . .
He taught Linda how to drive, starting her in flat water and working in to larger waves , ultimately flying the boat off waves where it required throttling back to keep for over revving on re-entry.

Austin is good at this, he was taught how to drive, throttle and trim by the best many years ago, and has run his Pantera from the Abacos to Florida many times . . on top of which he is the most patient instructor .. I could have never acheived what he did with my wife . . .

Just tonight she said wha fun it would be to get 3-4 boats together to run from FL to Lubbers!! Recognize that this is from a lady who freaked whenever my Corsican caught a bit of air . . . my kudos to Austin and Amy for this!!!

Mario

mphatc
03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
YES!! Austin had Linda drive from flat water into big waves where throttling and trim were required, all in 20 minutes!
I could have never acheived this with Linda in 20 years!!

He's a great instructor, has the patience and finesse to teach! I wish I was younger and in better shape, because kite sailing would be a hoot!

A trip from FL to the Abacos with several boats . . absolutely . . Linda and I are both game!! need to plan way ahead as this summer is already scheduled out . . .

Austin and Amy have run their Pantera from the Abacos to FL numerous times . . plan it with the weather and it's an easy run .. . .

Mario L.

Jraysray
03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
This sounds great! I got to study up!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
03-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Wow, Mario. That sounds like a boat lovers paradise vacation!

CHACHI
03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
. . .. I could have never achieved what he did with my wife . . .

Mario

Mario, you may want to edit this. :wink:

biggiefl
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
My friend has been to the Abacos twice in a 13' Whaler, anything is possible with the right weather....and chiropractor. I don't think I would ever consider the 22 for that trip as it needs 20+mph to run and if you tried to stay off plane I think it would swamp with that low freeboard. Depends on how far apart the waves are. On the gulf side they are close which makes for the bow to pierce the waves instead of going over them. I would do it in my 19' Whaler no problem though.

duckhunter
03-04-2013, 12:39 PM
My friend has been to the Abacos twice in a 13' Whaler, anything is possible with the right weather....and chiropractor. .

That is dedication right there. My daughter and I went crappie fishing in a creek off of the TN River last March. We stayed a little longer than we should have, and by the time we made it back to the main channel for the 3 mile run back to the ramp the wind had really picked up and temps had dropped significantly. It was blowing 15mph against the current, pretty much a washing machine (set on cold). All I could do was stick the bow in the air and hunker down and take it.

Tried to get a Bahamas trip together a couple of years ago on my buddy's 31 Ocean Master, but couldn't figure out a way to do it without either refueling in Port Lucaya or trying to carry a blivet (ie Molotov cocktail) on deck. What are gas prices & quality like over there now?

biggiefl
03-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Gas is bucks but quality is fine from what I hear. It is not a cheap way to go with immigration fees, mooring cost, fuel etc. Good thing is you can bring stuff to drink and barter. Budweiser for lobster, conch etc. Love orange & grape soda as well. I will ask my bud what he brings as this list might be antiquated. With this economy, ammunition ight be worth its weight in gold.

VetteLT193
03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
If the weather is calm it's very doable in a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7EDCAAF969F72B5

mphatc
03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Mario, you may want to edit this. :wink:

Well, now that you it brought forward . . . . everybody else's mind will follow you down the same path ..... till they meet my wife!
:anchor::hangum:
Mario