PDA

View Full Version : Mixing eras of Donzi branding

yembo77
02-22-2013, 07:59 AM
This is sort of a poll and I think it will come down to personal preference and taste.

It's easy to see that the donzi brand and logo has evolved over the years. I personally think all of their branding is cool but most of it clearly defines certain models and eras.

So with that in mind, what are some of your feelings when you see a classic logo on a newer model? Example might be the white donzi framed side logo on a newer donzi classic or even on a z boat. The flip to that would be someone mistakingly putting a Zx logo on and older Z. Then there are the round donzi marine logos with lion and dolphin verses the prop logo with ivy. I personally love the round prop logo but would that be appropriate on a later model boat? Again, anything is fine if you like it, but I prefer to do mods in good taste.

Matt

Carl C
02-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I am all for customizing our boats to suit us but agree with keeping the logos proper. In fact I prefer that the entire boat look as stock as possible from the outside. It's a "Classic" design. I did put this under my hatch though. :)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures729Medium.jpg

mattyboy
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
I think it all works , build your boat as you see fit, wild or mild, do it to your taste, do what makes you happy.

the one thing to keep in mind is that once you have made your bed so to speak you have to sleep in it. Once you have built your boat the way you like, it may not be what others may like which can effect resale value or limit the audience of buyers for the boat if you ever sell.

My hornet has the incorrect era decals which was done when the boat was painted mid 90's ,the original style was not available at that time. It bothered me to no end when I first got the boat now they've grown on me.

the boat has the chrome donzi and the newer lion and dolphin like the current classics. I have the correct era white and black DONZI and the union jack or the older lion and dolphin and USA pennant flags to put on it. The problem I am having is the Chrome looks pretty good and I am torn about adding the color black into the white and blue color scheme. I am going to have the white and black DONZI made in white and Christina blue to see if I like it. Another thing I like about the newer decals is they all fit above the character line the originals don't.

There are a few who notice and try to rib me about it but most didn't even notice.

I am also working on having a "Hornet" montage done on the inside of the hatches sort of a tribute to the name Hornet and all things that wore the name ,

which I am sure some will not get or like they can change it when they pry the boat from my dead lifeless hands

Marlin275
02-22-2013, 10:14 AM
I am also working on having a "Hornet" montage done on the inside of the hatches sort of a tribute to the name Hornet and all things that wore the name ,which I am sure some will not get or like they can change it when they pry the boat from my dead lifeless hands

Careful as that is another boat company now.

With my X-18 I loved the original Union Jack flag and used that instead of the one year newer Lion/Dolphin logo that was not the Don era.
Anybody could change that out if they wanted but it suits my history when I first saw a Donzi in 1964.

mattyboy
02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
a lot of things carry the name

cars, planes,trains,ships, super heroes, and sports teams,

Marlin good point with decals and vinyl your likes can be easily changed to someone else's

Mine should look something similar to yours but had the lion and dolphin. I have had thoughts that putting a union jack on my boat might make some of my past relatives a wee bit unhappy.

SanDogDewey
02-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Does DonziDirect still make copies of the original decals? The decals on the website are similiar, but not identical. I noticed that the lines in the mane of the Lion are finer in the original. What are the other differences?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8448616657_3dee5ffd67.jpg

olredalert
02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
----Matty,,,It might not be strictly correct for your year Hornet but I always liked the chrome Donzi script on all the 19 hulls regardless of the year. It is hard to integrate the chrome emblem along with the flags and "DONZI" but bench-seats seem especially cool that way. Could you not do up an Irish flag??? If you did you could count me in for at least 4 of them (Im 50 % black Irish and proud of it)......Bill S

Marlin275
02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Does DonziDirect still make copies of the original decals? The decals on the website are similiar, but not identical. I noticed that the lines in the mane of the Lion are finer in the original. What are the other differences?

Josh is doing a great job of keeping them real authentic and has responded to most needs.
When I pointed out that the new Donzi Direct reproduction (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?65089-X-18-decal-location&highlight=donzi+josh) of the original Donzi logo sticker
uses a different font and the inclusion of the registered mark is not necessary,
Josh had better original ones made.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74710&d=1304293372

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74711&d=1361552970

yembo77
02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
I did put this under my hatch though. :)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures729Medium.jpg

Carl, I love that! Now is that a newer logo or older? I think that's perfect on a classic! I want to get one of those for my truck and boat! This is what prompted my post. Would it be in poor taste to put that logo on an 80s z boat? I'd put it somewhere discrete but I still love it. Same with the white and black framed logo that I thought I might use engraved smaller on my new dash panel. Well, like Matty says, it's all good!

M

BUIZILLA
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
if Mercedes Benz only knew what a furor they started in 1926... :jester:

Carl C
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Carl, I love that! Now is that a newer logo or older? I think that's perfect on a classic! I want to get one of those for my truck and boat! This is what prompted my post. Would it be in poor taste to put that logo on an 80s z boat? I'd put it somewhere discrete but I still love it. Same with the white and black framed logo that I thought I might use engraved smaller on my new dash panel. Well, like Matty says, it's all good!

M

I think that's an older logo. I've tried to keep my boat looking stock except for the performance upgrades on the transom. Josh at Donzi Direct offers all kinds of stickers.

Hey, Matt, I'm sure you could get some kind of Ireland crest made up. http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr285/croatoan5376/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_kleeblatt.gif

Carl C
02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
M

I finally got the moderator approval message! I'll try again. I think that is an older logo but under the hatch it looks fine. Not much is stock in the engine room anymore now anyway.

Hey, Matt, get a custom Ireland crest made up!

Didn't Mercedes invent the peace sign?

Donzi Direct offers all kinds of stickers.

Carl C
02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Moderator approval message twice in a row. I'll try without the quote. I think that hatch logo is older. DonziDirect offers lots of stickers.

DonziJosh
02-22-2013, 01:35 PM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8448616657_3dee5ffd67.jpg

Hi Patrick, thanks for pointing this out. As we discussed, the variances in logo art came to light very soon after we started our business. We corrected the situation and have sold these logos for the past couple years without incident. However, I for some time I neglected to update the image on the website. Here's the correct photo of the item in question, shown as we're producing it today. As far as we are able to tell, it's the original art:
https://www.donzidirect.com/decals-logos/hullside-logos/donzi-hullside-decal-logo-1960s-70s-lion-dolphin-flag-6-3-4.html (http://www.donzidirect.com/decals-logos/hullside-logos/donzi-hullside-decal-logo-1960s-70s-lion-dolphin-flag-6-3-4.html)

Thanks again for your order! Your decals will ship next week.

gcarter
02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
I took a few allowances w/the Minx artwork when I was looking to finish that boat.
My feelings were that I was keeping to the original theme, but it added some snap to the overall look.
I found a local vinyl sign shop to do the work from an "Illustrator" file.
In this case, the "Minx" lettering is as original, but the "Donzi" portion is stretched horizontally a bit more than original.
Also I was pleased w/the contrast of the border. It was pretty affordable, also an easy job for the sign shop, and if the buyer wanted to, he could remove it easily, since it was vinyl.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54403&stc=1&d=1268879729

SanDogDewey
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Hi Patrick, thanks for pointing this out. As we discussed, the variances in logo art came to light very soon after we started our business. We corrected the situation and have sold these logos for the past couple years without incident. However, I for some time I neglected to update the image on the website. Here's the correct photo of the item in question, shown as we're producing it today. As far as we are able to tell, it's the original art:
https://www.donzidirect.com/decals-logos/hullside-logos/donzi-hullside-decal-logo-1960s-70s-lion-dolphin-flag-6-3-4.html (http://www.donzidirect.com/decals-logos/hullside-logos/donzi-hullside-decal-logo-1960s-70s-lion-dolphin-flag-6-3-4.html)

Thanks again for your order! Your decals will ship next week.

Thanks Josh!!! I look forward to getting her a purdied up!

yeller
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Yembo, I'm with Matty all the way. Do your boat however you like. Except for a very, very small percentage of boaters, (most of whom are here), nobody will know what is stock or supposedly correct.

If you like Carl's logo I have it in pretty much any format you want. I had a sign shop make mine.
That aside, DonziJosh is the man. He cen get you pretty much anything you want....and at reasonable prices. I wanted a set of 40th Anniversary decals that came on the side glass. Josh hadn't made them before, but I asked and he had exact duplicates to me quick

Greg Guimond
02-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Nice to see that Josh delivers on the customer service front yeller :hi5:

Carl C
02-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Hey, Matt, take something like this and turn it into the shape and size of the dolphin/lion sticker and put them on your boat. Anyone could display their heritage. I'm proud of the USA sticker and don't need to fly a flag now :).

mattyboy
02-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Bill great idea,

Carl,
thanks I was looking at pennants like that. We have a guy who does all our art work , uniform work and signs for the BIG PARADE. I spoke to him last night at the Pub about Bill's idea and said I was thinking of making a pennant for Ireland for the boat. we looked at a few and I think i am going to combine the two to include the golden harp. these are actual cloth pennants so the gold tassels would be scrapped for a gold border edge like the existing donzi stuff and Ireland would be gold as well. I also like your orange better some oranges are too red like the one i pictured and well that leads to an identity crisis or in some cases fisticuffs ;) I also have nice artwork for the two flags on crossed staffs with MY HOME MY COUNTRY under OLD GLORY and MY HERITAGE Under the White Orange and Green. but that would not be in any style that Donzi ever used

olredalert
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
----Count me in, Matty!!! If needed I can contribute start-up moola on this......Bill S

Marlin275
02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I also have nice artwork for the two flags on crossed staffs with MY HOME MY COUNTRY under OLD GLORY and MY HERITAGE Under the White Orange and Green. but that would not be in any style that Donzi ever used

Don't know if Donzi or the owner did this?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63486&d=1106287417

I once went into a small shop in Annapolis and the guy had every pennant for almost every country in the world.
Lot of these on eBay.

mattyboy
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Marlin that is the 16 prototype in Sweden and those flags were available from the factory. The very early 16s had them to represent the race over there gopinglet or something like that they faded away later when the Chisholms took full control of the helm as well as the Union Jack the earliest I have seen the lion and dolphin was mid 68 which Donzi is under full Chisholm ownership

That boat is a 4 banger Volvo

mattyboy
02-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Take 2 let's see if this works got the moderator thingy last time

The Swedish flag was a factory thing
That 16 is the prototype and that photo shoot was in Sweden featured in the Swedish tech world magazine

Some of the early 16 had the Swedish pennant which represented the race there goppinglet or something like that

By full Chisholm ownership 1968 the USA flag and the lion and dolphin were seen more commonly. About the same timeframe the scripts were dropped too

BTW if anyone can speak and read Swedish The LGDCC has a digitized copy of teknikens warld with the article on the introduction of the 16 and the volvo penta drive. drop me a line I can send you it. it is a large pdf file we are working on that part of our website to make it easier to download

SanDogDewey
02-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Just noticed there is no exhaust outlet on that Swedish boat.

mattyboy
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Patrick

it does have one thru hull all that is needed for a 4 cyl you can see the chrome ring just to the right and above the drive the other pics from the article show it better
let me see if I have just the pics on file not the whole magazne.

mattyboy
02-25-2013, 07:59 AM
here are the pics fom the article I have to search I think I have another pic of the boat on a trailer that shows the exhaust better in the pic of it taking off you can see the steam coming from the thru hull.

mattyboy
02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
----Matty,,,It might not be strictly correct for your year Hornet but I always liked the chrome Donzi script on all the 19 hulls regardless of the year. It is hard to integrate the chrome emblem along with the flags and "DONZI" but bench-seats seem especially cool that way. Could you not do up an Irish flag??? If you did you could count me in for at least 4 of them (Im 50 % black Irish and proud of it)......Bill S

Bill yes I do like the chrome donzi with no background. It first made it's appearance on the foredeck of the Corsican in 69 then later on the St Tropez and GT in place of the more common white and black donzi

The Hornet had a combo of just the word HORNET and the metal script logo, the script logo and the white/black donzi with the country flags/lion dolphin, and just the white/black donzi.

BUIZILLA
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
interesting that it has a 2 blade prop too...

CHACHI
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
if Mercedes Benz only knew what a furor they started in 1926... :jester:

Isn't that Herr Furor?

Ken

yembo77
02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Lol I love where this thread has gone! Lol. Btw guys, I too am a graphic designer and can do any kind of custom work we need, but it sounds like donzidirect is also willing to make custom stuff. Carl C, if you have that logo in as a vector image, I.e. Illustrator line art, I'd take it. Email it to yembo77@hotmail.com

So I guess I need to make a Norwegian pennant? Actually I really want to find a nice flag pole kit for my boat. Anyone know of a good place to get this? Maybe Overtons? That wooden pole on the blue donzi with chrome base is awesome.

Matt

biggiefl
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I always fly a flag on my rides and have been debating on where to fly one on the 22(bow or stern) and now have found my answer. Since there is a flag pennant on each side, no need to drill holes and replace the flag and post when it tales a flyer.....thanks!

My 94 has the cat/fish and US flag on the sides, do they still use that? My reg #'s match my rear chrome decals as well.

Marlin275
02-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Actually I really want to find a nice flag pole kit for my boat. Anyone know of a good place to get this? Maybe Overtons? That wooden pole on the blue donzi with chrome base is awesome.Matt

Thanks Matt, that came with my boat when I bought it.
I think its Perko since most hardware of that era was that.
They still make them.

You can get the flags and wooden poles at almost every marine store.

Perko Bronze Upright Flag Pole Socket (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=52720&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_15260&type=pla)

Bobby D
02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
My 1972 2+3 more than likely came new with the Lion/Dolphin however, I’m with Marlin my history goes back to the first Donzi I ever saw had the Union Jack flag.

badbird
02-25-2013, 04:28 PM
My 1976...also came with the Union Jack

72Hornet
02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
With a family name like Royce, I have to stay with the Union Jack! Of course, it was on the first Donzi that I had ever seen back in 1970. A yellow 1968 with a black interior and windshield. They used to come up to our neighbors dock to pick up their daughter....And I was looking at the boat, what was I thinking! Times did change I will admit...

yembo77
02-26-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks Marlin275. I ordered up the perko kit today! Gotta fly a flag. It was my job as a kid to get the mfg flag out and put it on the boat as we got underway. Lol that's where the boat love started.

Matt

Carl C
02-27-2013, 06:33 AM
Lol I love where this thread has gone! Lol. Btw guys, I too am a graphic designer and can do any kind of custom work we need, but it sounds like donzidirect is also willing to make custom stuff. Carl C, if you have that logo in as a vector image, I.e. Illustrator line art, I'd take it. Email it to yembo77@hotmail.com

So I guess I need to make a Norwegian pennant? Actually I really want to find a nice flag pole kit for my boat. Anyone know of a good place to get this? Maybe Overtons? That wooden pole on the blue donzi with chrome base is awesome.

Matt

e-mail sent. I think..