PDA

View Full Version : 18 Classic Engine Hatch Gas Spring mounting

83 Classic 6.2MX
02-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys-
New to the Donzi.net and looking for a little help. Painting my 18 Classic and purchased a brand new engine hatch (raised hump) from DonziDirect along with the gas springs and mounting hardware. My boat is an '83 so obviously it did not have the gas springs. I'm at the point of installing the gas springs and am wondering if anyone has any dimensional information on where the hardware/holes belong (mostly on the hatch). I can probably work out the positions but it is a bit of a white knucke exercise putting the drill to the brand new hatch. The hardware for the spring to hatch connection is the type with the SST backer plate that mounts from topside by drilling two holes through the hatch for the threaded studs. Anyone have mounting positions/onstallation guidance or even a later model 18 Classic you could throw a tape meaure on?
Pictures?

Much appreciated!
-Paul

gcarter
02-21-2013, 08:08 PM
You'll probably have to do it yourself.
It's not that hard. Measure the expanded length, and the compressed length. Put a mark on the hatch or the deck, your choice, then measure along the deck (keep in mind the size and shape of the hardware while you're measuring) until you measure to the point of the collapsed length. Mark that location. Raise the hatch until the two marks are the distance apart of the expanded length. If you don't like the angle of the opening, change your starting point until you're happy w/it. Mount the hardware.

83 Classic 6.2MX
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks George,

Kind of figured as much. Process you outlined sounds like a good approach. I also have the ability to lay it out on CAD based on collapsed and extended length of the springs and the hinge point of the hatch. The boat is at a shop in Maine about 130 miles away right now and the guy doing the paint work called asking for guidance so I figured I'd inqire. Nothing a tape measure and some basic layouts won't cure. Thinking I'll tell him I'll deal with it. I'll be putting all the re-chromed hardware back on the deck in a few weeks and working out the hatch hardware will be a fun and rewarding project. I'll keep and make the details available once it is done.

Thanks again!