PDA

View Full Version : Chartplotters-Garmin? Lowrance?

John C in PA
02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm looking at a chartplotter since trying to unroll and read a map in my 16 is a joke. I've narrowed it down to either a Lowrance or Garmin with a 7" diagonal screen. Anybody have any experience with either or both of these brands? I tried to contact Simrad but they don't answer. And Standard Horizon's webpage is useless. I'd rather stay with someone I can contact.

John C

BUIZILLA
02-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Garmin 740

John C in PA
02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Buiz, thats the Garmin I picked (actually the 720). Is the pre-loaded map useful at all? Lowrance is the Elite 7m Gold ($400 cheaper). I was already told by Lowrance customer service that the pre-loaded map is crappy.

John C

BUIZILLA
02-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Garmin seems to have current and cleaner maps available, and their online update procedure is easy and concise. What's not to like about that?

RockyS18
02-21-2013, 07:47 PM
I'd look into a Garmin 720 and you can buy the more detailed maps for your area separately. I'm not sure where you usually boat, but the 740 comes only with US coastal maps. I actually plan on getting a 720, I've been looking into GPS's for a month and the 720 is my favorite.

edit: The Garmin 720 pre loaded map is useless, the point of the 720 is to upgrade to better maps like the new LakeVu or the Garmin G2 maps.

VetteLT193
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Personally, I'd go with an IPad, waterproof case, navionics software, and a seasucker. You'll be for about the same dough (you need the 3G Ipad to get the GPS integrated but you don't need 3G service unless you want it otherwise).

The pros, IMO, are vast.

you won't put holes in the boat
you'll have an Ipad to use off the boat
It's movable if you want a passenger to navigate
you'll have all the extras you might want on a boat like the ability to hook it up to your stereo to play music, take pictures, etc.
There are also other apps besides navionics for navigating so you could tap into those.
If you do get a 3G plan well... you have the internet. stream music through pandora, surf donzi.net while sitting on the beach you just pulled up to, get on google earth to find that one particular harbor near your current location.......
The best part is... super easy to upgrade. a couple generations of Ipad come out and you go to the store and get a new one. The sea sucker will still work so you are upgraded in minutes.

VetteLT193
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Personally, I'd go with an IPad, waterproof case, navionics software, and a seasucker. You'll be for about the same dough (you need the 3G Ipad to get the GPS integrated but you don't need 3G service unless you want it otherwise).

The pros, IMO, are vast.

you won't put holes in the boat
you'll have an Ipad to use off the boat
It's movable if you want a passenger to navigate
you'll have all the extras you might want on a boat like the ability to hook it up to your stereo to play music, take pictures, etc.
There are also other apps besides navionics for navigating so you could tap into those.
If you do get a 3G plan well... you have the internet. stream music through pandora, surf donzi.net while sitting on the beach you just pulled up to, get on google earth to find that one particular harbor near your current location.......
The best part is... super easy to upgrade. a couple generations of Ipad come out and you go to the store and get a new one. The sea sucker will still work so you are upgraded in minutes.

(and in other news, this moderator approval crap is getting annoying)

John C in PA
04-28-2013, 04:53 PM
So my better half got me a Garmin 720 chartplotter for my 65th birthday. Anybody installed a chartplotter on a 16? Where? How? How did you wire it to power?

John C in PA

Greg Guimond
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Has anyone ever done a flush dash mount for any chart plotter on a 16? Not a lot of space on my dash but man would it be great to have a display you can actually read at 60

Greg Guimond
04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Here is some feedback from a gentleman...........

I installed a Garmin 440 and love it. Its easy to use, has it all. All USA water way charts already in it, shows GPS speed along with your location maps and depth at same time. I installed the optional "shoot thru hull" depth finder and it works great. Has a trip log with all info for period you want to track. Keeps highest speed in trip log unless you reset it. Bargain prices on used ones.

Greg Guimond
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Here is a flush mount 740 pic which does not help much with a 16 but might give ideas...........

RockyS18
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I have the same problem on the 22, I have no idea where to put mine for a flush mount, which is what I'd really like. I can't put it all the way to the left where the stereo is unfortunately because it will be too far away to use while moving. I can't fit it on the right side of the steering wheel either. I plan on sticking it either dead in the center on the top of my dashboard, or possibly all the way to the right of the steering wheel on top of the dashboard. I'm leaning towards the right of the steering wheel since it will be much less of a distraction in the lines of the boat. And yes, I fortunately have a windshield to hide it under so I'm not sure where you should put it on the 16. Maybe build a bracket a mount it just below the gauges, and attach the bracket to the inside of the dashboard? Or you could go 007 style and make a locking slider mechanism so you can slide the GPS down from behind the dash and lock it in place. :cool:

good luck!

Ghost
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
In all cases I'd make sure to try it out, with and without your preferred sunglasses, to see if the screen is legible and the controls are usable. After a lot of experimenting, I bit the bullet and installed mine on top of the dash, centered in front of the driver. Not so pretty but WAY more usable for me.

It's a big cutout for any dash that size. Be nice if they made a 2-piece unit, with a purely-video and control flatscreen for the dash and a separate unit that could go anywhere for everything else.

Greg Guimond
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Ghost makes an excellent point. A lot of the viewing functionality will be based on how tall you are and how the screen is angled and placed. Measure thrice, cut once!

Greg Guimond
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Following my normal approach which is to make any modification as difficult and involved as possible, I'm now wondering if you could use one of the products below to design a stow away for the Chart Plotter. I'm thinking you could anchor the base on the left of the 16's tub, snake the wires into and through the flexible conduit, and then swing the Plotter out and up for viewing when needed. I'm not sure 32" is enough length to get it into the middle of the dash and up high like a squid so that it won't block all your gauges. I'm also not sure it would stand up to the 60mph speeds. It would, however give you infinite adjustment for viewing if it did. :nilly:

Greg Guimond
04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Hmmm................

MOP
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
You should run clean fused power direct from your battery, I have installed many over the years. Taking power from the dash circuits many times leads to hiccups shutting the unit down due to voltage fluctuations.

RockyS18
04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
More mounting options, just select Garmin and then 720:

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MarineElectronicMounts/tabid/141/Default.aspx#/

John C in PA
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I thank you all for your input. Lets see:

Greg: yep, that's how my projects go. Especiually the "simple" ones. The arm could work but with my latest cockpit cover I don't think it would fit. The flex arm would have to be about 7' long :rlol:.

Ghost: Yep, I was sitting in the pilots seat this evening moving the unit around. I forgot to try it with the polaroids.

MOP: I need to be able to move the unit between boats. Any reason I can't use a power outlet which is wired to a fuse box I added?

Rocky: I actually bought a set of Ram Mounts. The Garmin ruins the lines of my little boat no matter where its placed. With the mount its even higher and uglier. I'm still playing around with the mounts however.

I didn't realize how much that big unit spoils the lines of the 16. One thing I never tire of is the comments I always get at the gas station and at the marina that my Donzi is beautiful :redface:.

John C in PA

Greg Guimond
05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
John, I may have missed something but the arms I am suggesting would allow you (I think) to hide the entire unit whenever you wanted to thus the coc_pit cover would still work perfect. I think you might be thinking that it is a fixed arm, but the "flexi" arm material has unlimited angles and adjustment I believe. Stuff it under the dash when you don't need it.

John C in PA
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Thx for the input Greg. I just started a new thread with comments about the Garmin. Industrial Strength velcro (with a safety strap :D JIC) held fine.

John C

Greg Guimond
05-02-2013, 08:42 PM
You would have to do a little research, but I think you could probably set up the chart plotter on a hide-a-way gooseneck mount like the picture below. Swivel it out when you want to use it, and then push it back under the bow when you don't. Better then a permanent hole in the dash until you get a year under your belt using it.

Manufacturer: Ram Mount

RAM POD I Universal Mount with Tab-Tite™ Cradle. The RAM-B-316-1-TAB3 consists of a single socket arm, flex rod and Tab-Tite™ cradle. Connected to the base is a 30" rigid flexible rod that can be bent to position your device to it's optimum viewing location. The RAM POD I will hold everything you need safely and securely.

Greg Guimond
05-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Thx for the input Greg. I just started a new thread with comments about the Garmin. Industrial Strength velcro (with a safety strap :D JIC) held fine.

John CAOK............look forward to seeing the pics of the Garmin. Always a few good ways to skin a cat!