PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Criterion II

RockyS18
02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
There's been some discussion of Criterion II's over the years on the forums, but I've been really interested in these boats for the past few years and I think more discussion of these boats is necessary due to their one-of-a-kind rarity. I think it would be great to use this thread to compile all the info we know about them and maybe even create a registry of the ones we know.

Here are the build numbers I have found:
Criterion II- 10 (? I found some places stated 10 and some stated 3)

No one knows where any of them are. One was for sale in '03 named Mad Dog Enterprises, owned by two lawyers. Some said it was actually an SS and no one has heard anything about the boat since. Link: http://msubat.tripod.com

They were possibly made with only twin turbo motors.

I also heard that the Criterion II's had an electric pop-up bar between the driver and passenger, does anyone have pictures? That's really neat.

olredalert
02-17-2013, 05:45 PM
----I worked briefly for Donzi during the beginning of the Criterion period. I have no idea how many total Critters were produced but thats John Chisholm in the drivers seat. I cant quite tell if thats Sally (his wife, who was very pretty) or a model. I seem to remember that the very 1st Critter was Johns personal boat and did have a wet bar that raised up from the middle of the bench seat electricly. I think that boat went to the Muskokas for the summer as it was Johns practice to spend a good part of the summer at his home up there with his family. He probably sold it before returning to the south. I also remember him telling me that they were working out the bugs on an electricly powered front hatch (automotive sunroof style) on the other Criterion model, but dont know if any were produced. The front hatch did retract forward on the ones Ive seen but they were manually operated. By the time the Critters were out I dont remember ever seeing any turbo-charged motors. Not saying it didnt happen but the warrantee problems were a nightmare. Biggest motors I remember were some very healthy Mercruiser racing packages. 330 and 370 TRS packages were the norm. Hope this helps......Bill S

gcarter
02-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Farmer Tex (Mark Horn) has a II (I think it is anyway, as it has all the duplicated gauges). He bought the boat in the New Orleans area. It had some rot issues and he spent what was necessary to repair the boat and have the gel redone.
I'm not sure about the fridge (bar), but, it did originally have a hydraulically operated forward hatch over the
"rumble" seat forward of the cockpit. As far as I know, they mostly were 330 HP 454's.
They are very cool, but the cockpit is very tight and has very little room.
Also, the build quality of the 22 hulls (the same hull was used for all the Criterions, F-22, and 2+3 Classic) was kind of spotty. Most all of the 22's I know of from that era have some issues w/stringers, cockpit bottom, and the inner strakes in the area of the engine mounts.
It sounds like I'm being tough on the Chisholm and some Staples boats, but they're pretty old now, and were never meant to be still in service after 30 years.

gcarter
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Farmer Tex (Mark Horn) has a Critter II (I think it is anyway). I believe it was in typical condition for a Chisholm era 22. He had to have stringer, and transom work done, plus had the gel re-done.
Anyone interested in one of the early 22' needs to investigate and have a survey done before purchasing.
I don't think Donzi ever expected to have their boats still in commission after 30 years.
Critters of all models are unique, very cool boats, but they're kind of tight, and have very little useful space.
I've been told you can't stand up behind the wheel.

mattyboy
02-18-2013, 08:15 AM
George
of course they are tight with no storage they're classics aren't they ;)

Farmer Tx's critter is an SS which looks like a II when the front hatch is closed and if the grab rails are not there

I believe these are the pics from the for sale ad of his boat just before he purchased it.

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/criterionss.pdf

Carl C
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
.org has a copyright on that image????
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Critter2_zpsa9eb9ad6.jpeg

Ghost
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't know how copyrights work, but I suspect the copyright isn't on the image but on the watermarked image. Essentially meaning, it's unlawful to take the image from there and re-use it commercially. Not that they necessarily own it outright. That's my guess.

RockyS18
02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
I think Ghost is right, and since I'm not selling the image or using it for commercial purposes its ok to use it.

Does Donzi still have the molds for the Criterion? I heard they were thinking of producing more in 2005.

gcarter
02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
The uniqueness is all in the deck as the hull is the same for all 22's, Criterions (all iterations), F-22, 22C.
I don't know the answer to your question, I didn't hear that. There would have been at least three deck molds. It's possible the F-22 and Criterions shared parts of the same deck mold.

VetteLT193
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't know why the would have wanted to make more. They didn't sell to start off with because they aren't a useful design. To have an expensive 22 foot boat that seats 5 is one thing but to have one seat 2-3 is another.

SanDogDewey
02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Why did the boat have 2 speedometers? Was the port side faster than the stbd? Reverse and forward?:bonk::confused:

BUIZILLA
02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Why did the boat have 2 speedometers? Was the port side faster than the stbd? Reverse and forward?:bonk::confused: apparently, they needed extra gauges to tell them what their gauges were doing... :banghead: that was only on the SS and II models though...

72Hornet
02-18-2013, 05:36 PM
apparently, they needed extra gauges to tell them what their gauges were doing... :banghead: that was only on the SS and II models though...

In my opinion, the "benchseat" Criterion II was a modern version to the gentleman racers of the 30's. That model would not have been marketed as a utility boat. Thus the low numbers... Cool niche ma ket boat! Just my thoughts only!

SanDogDewey
02-18-2013, 05:39 PM
In my opinion, the "benchseat" Criterion II was a modern version to the gentleman racers of the 30's. That model would not have been marketed as a utility boat. Thus the low numbers... Cool niche ma ket boat! Just my thoughts only!

I agree, very cool boat. No grocery getter there. A Shelby Cobra on water.

Ed Donnelly
02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
The double set of gauges were so my wife could b**ch

about how fast I was going, how I was over reving, you get the picture...Ed

SanDogDewey
02-19-2013, 09:49 AM
The double set of gauges were so my wife could b**ch

about how fast I was going, how I was over reving, you get the picture...Ed

That's funny...but my wife didn't think it was funny when I explained why I was laughing. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott Pearson
07-23-2014, 01:19 AM
Just thought I would get this thread going again. A Criterion II has been found and now will be saved.

ClassicFanatic
07-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Damn, that's a lot of gauges!

Awesome pictures, Scott!

mattyboy
07-23-2014, 06:04 AM
Damn, that's a lot of gauges!

Awesome pictures, Scott!

yes that is quite the array of instruments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEywGpIt0vw

RockyS18
07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I had a feeling this thread would get started back up!

Scott Pearson
07-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Well...I picked the boat up last night. Took it up to a friends house about 20 miles away until I can go over the trailer and haul it the 100 miles home. Tires have been flat for 4+ years....Trailer had a shake in it after 45mph. I think its just flat spots or a slipped belt in the tires. But all in all it went well.:worthy:

Cant wait to get that ugly name off the side!!!:yes:

mattyboy
07-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Glad you made the first leg of the trip without dumping s**** all over the highway
did you let the squirrel jump out.
Lets get her out on the water this week end

seano
07-24-2014, 07:36 AM
Well...I picked the boat up last night. Took it up to a friends house about 20 miles away until I can go over the trailer and haul it the 100 miles home. Tires have been flat for 4+ years....Trailer had a shake in it after 45mph. I think its just flat spots or a slipped belt in the tires. But all in all it went well.:worthy:

Cant wait to get that ugly name off the side!!!:yes:

that thing should buff right out... :)

Greg Guimond
07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
New thread name ............ "Rare Criterion II Restoration - Pearson Corners The Market" :)

Scott Pearson
07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
that thing should buff right out... :)

Thats the plan right now. I really looked it over and its pretty amazing how clean and untouched it is. From what I have been told the guy who had it for the past 25+ years in Maine never used it but maybe a dozen times. Shame it sat outside...It would have been in even better shape if it was stored the right way. Hour meter only has 130 on it...who knows if thats correct. All the wiring etc is all original and pretty much untouched.

So a good detail might really bring it back!!

bertsboat
07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
If it was stored inside it would have been way more expensive and you may not have got your hands on it again. My Fino looked worse than that and it cleaned right up. Maybe a few days hanging on to a hose and it will clean up and you can use it for the summer. That would be great.
Nice save Scott.
Bert

Thats the plan right now. I really looked it over and its pretty amazing how clean and untouched it is. From what I have been told the guy who had it for the past 25+ years in Maine never used it but maybe a dozen times. Shame it sat outside...It would have been in even better shape if it was stored the right way. Hour meter only has 130 on it...who knows if thats correct. All the wiring etc is all original and pretty much untouched.

So a good detail might really bring it back!!

Trueser
07-24-2014, 07:42 PM
great find, or recovery

You will enjoy yourself on this one.

ClassicFanatic
07-25-2014, 01:14 AM
What kind of outdrive is that, Scotty?

Scott Pearson
07-25-2014, 06:15 AM
It's a TRS drive.