PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Trailblazer as a tow rig?

yembo77
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
So the family will eventually get bigger and I need an suv. The extended cab truck just doesn't cut it for putting people or car seats in the back. So I've narrowed my search down to two models, either a Tahoe Z71 or a Trailblazer SS. I'm leaning more toward the tbss because I also need some speed in my life. I'll be selling my muscle car, impala SS, to devote more time to the muscle on the water, my zb21!!!

So the question is, does anyone tow with a traIlblazer? It's got the power and my trailer has brakes, but the short wheel base is bound to be different from the Silverado SS I tow with now. I used to tow with a Tahoe and that was ok but the bumper hitch was too high and not ideal. I'll be using the class 3 hitch which comes standard on all trailblazers.

Thanks,
Matt
Greenwood Lake, Ny
87' ZB21

Tidbart
02-13-2013, 01:52 PM
If you are within the limits of the vehicle as far as towing capacity goes, why not? Of course, you may want to find out how much weight you are actually towing. The shorter wheelbase will give a different feel, but that should just take some seat time to get used to. Also, make sure you set it up correctly by getting the right ball mount that will give you a level trailer.

B

katanna
02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Hands down the tahoe will be better. I towed with a envoy denali which had the small v8 and hated it. It had the auto leveling suspension and was too mushy when towing. Sway was a problem at freeway speeds even after adding an equalizer hitch with sway control. When braking the trailer pushed the vehicle around too much. I switched to a sierra denali and dont even know I am towing anything now.

Steve

VetteLT193
02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
My Mom bought one new, a LTZ too. Great SUV, I thought, so I told her when she went to trade hers I would give her trade value because hers was in perfect condition. Bought it and.... Bottom line is both my kids would get sick in it if the ride was longer than 30 minutes. My kids don't get motion sick in any other situation, boats, cruises, cars, etc.

Gas mileage was a whopping 2 mpg better than my navigator (the nav has a 5.4 v8 with 4 wheel drive, trailblazer was 2wd rocking the 6 banger). In order to take the trailblazer on a trip I needed a rack to put in the hitch to fit the rest of our stuff. It is smaller than it looks.

I traded it in on a mustang convertible. Everyone is happier with the navigator on trips, towing, etc or with the top down in the mustang.

mattyboy
02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
The new durango has good towing ratings and for speed there's always a Hemi

yembo77
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Yeah The trade off for HP in the tbss model is the loss of space from the Tahoe or full size suv. Interesting to hear about the car sickness. Ive ridden in many of them and had no issue. Perhaps the shocks were blown out on yours because the ltz does have airbags. That might have been like riding on air balloons. Any TB can tow all I need to pull and do it well, even the 275hp 6 cylinder model. I can imagine the ride is also rougher in a tbss than in a Tahoe too. Large wheels do look good but man do they ride rough. Really it comes down to the thrill factor and maybe it just haS to be had in another vehicle like a mustang. The new Durango and new Explorers do look hot and the Hemi moves, but I'm not in the market for new. This truck will be my wife's and a secondary vehicle, so it'll sitin the garage a lot just like my Silverado SS does now. With that in mind, a higher mileage used truck is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the real world trailblazer experience! The wife says shell have to test drive them both, so that might be the deciding factor.

Matt

biggiefl
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I towed my Classic 22 from Alabama home which is about 600 miles with a Jeep liberty Diesel and no trailer brakes. It was marginal to tow that close to the 5k rating along with a short wheelbase. Bought a Ram Quadcab w/390hp Hemi. Fast as hell for a truck and tows it like it is not there. I looked at those TB SS's when my GTO lease was up and they suck down fuel like my old Bronco. Sure they are fast but.....

Wanna really go fast and tow? Buy A grand Cherokee SRT-8. Bad!

Donzi3250LXC
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
if youre looking at trailblazer ss look for a saab 9-7x aero it's the same car but with better soudn deadening, build quality and higher end interior. we have one and love it.

yembo77
02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
if youre looking at trailblazer ss look for a saab 9-7x aero it's the same car but with better soudn deadening, build quality and higher end interior. we have one and love it.

I HAVE BEEN, but they're like the Crierion II of saabs...rare! I think I've seen one for sale that was the actual aero and only a handful of 97x's out there too. I even thought about just the 97x but the Tahoe trumped that for me for numerous reasons.

Yeah, towing a 7000lb four winns cruiser to LG with the ac on gOt me about 10mpg, but can you really complain about gas when you own a donzi? Gas is our life! Lol. Otherwise the awd truck gets 14mpg all the time, highway or local. It's a truck.

Matt

yembo77
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
... I looked at those TB SS's when my GTO lease was up and they suck down fuel like my old Bronco. Sure they are fast but.....

Wanna really go fast and tow? Buy A grand Cherokee SRT-8. Bad!

lool so get the SRT 8 as a gas saver? :bonk: Lol. I wish! Those is some badass trucks, huh? The center exit exhaust is so sexy. Definitely not an economy vehicle. That diesel Liberty is cool too but too small for what I need.

M

katanna
02-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Had an envoy. Replied to thread yesterday. Moderator hasn't posted yet.
frustrating

yembo77
02-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Sorry katana. I don't know What causes that but I know they're working to relaunch the forum.

M

Ghost
02-15-2013, 08:47 AM
It's frustrating--Harbormaster is aware and working on it. Never too many reminders to copy and paste posts while this is happening. At least that way you can just paste and try again. MOST times, not all, it will go right in the second time. Sometimes I've seen 5-10 in a row that all went for moderator approval, but usually the second one works. Worst case, you can paste it into a file and save it, and try again later and/or send a PM.

Donzi3250LXC
02-15-2013, 08:50 AM
yembo, we have a silver 09 aer oi'm told they made like 125 of them. look around so much more refined then standard tb ss

biggiefl
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
My point was that the TB SS and SRT-8 are only 30hp apart but the Jeep is much faster. If you are gonna aim for 12mpg I would go for the Jeep....way better resale too. If MPG is a concern, definately look into the Cherokee Diesel(07-08 only) or the ML350 diesel which the Jeep is based on. I was looking for a ML but I did not feel like spending $30k on a nice used one considering I only drive about 5k miles/yr. Buying the slightly used Ram for almost $10k less made way more sense and actually gets over 20 on the hwy.

BUIZILLA
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Hemi 2wd.... trust me when I say there is nothing we discuss here that it won't tow, at any speed you choose, in overdrive... 78 mph with my 22 Critter get's me 10.5 mpg all day long, 15-16 in town commuting.... pulls my 235 deckboat too, just a phenominal all around car...

you want a sleeper tow vehicle??? I just also got a 2013 Ecoboost F150 Super Crew/6.5 bed/max tow/3.73's/SCT tuner box/Magnaflow exhaust/Airaid CAI.... it will surprise you to the Nth degree :smile: :eek!:

roadtrip se
02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
A short wheelbase tow rig ain't going to be fun for long tows. A couple of miles from the garage to the lake or around town, good. A long range run to a rally, not so good.

I have a '12 ECO F-150 4x4 Super Crew Lariat. Not only is it the nicest truck I have ever driven, it rarely goes anywhere without toys attached. Intergrated brake controller, trailer sway control, tow stats on the dash, and a stout tow capacity make towing a comfortable, easy experience. And 21-22 MPG empty ain't bad, and the back seats are comfortable, too. I don't miss my SUV at all.

AIRGRADY
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
I tow my 76 Hornet with an 07 Trailblazer SS 2wd and couldnt be happier. The only gripe is the fuel mileage. A 6.0 liter with a 4:10 rear is fun but she drinks fuel like is going out if style.
I put an exhaust system, cold air intake and a Vector Motorsports tune on it and she runs like a scalded dog. She has also been known to whoop some a$$ on Mustangs and Camaros light to light (yea, I know they get me in the 1/4 mile:mad:). Its the greatest SUV for the money in my humble, I bleed Chevy orange, opinion. Stickered for 38k in 07, I paid 29k new off the lot. I beat the crap out of it on a daily basis and she takes all the abuse I give her.
Best 1/4 mile et 13.92.

Grady