PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Damage to Donzi 43zr From Jumping Wave

Indyblackhawk
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
For those of you who haven't seen the video yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsCyRol4TA

maddad
02-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Wow, that will not buff out.

CHACHI
02-06-2013, 06:00 AM
Well, that left a mark, ouch.

Do you know if everyone was ok?

Ken

Offset
02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Lots of damage to that boat. I still would like to know if it was running on its own power after the jump or was it quickly towed? You would think if it lost power it would have been caught in even more wave action that may have even rolled it over. :shocking:

Hope no one was seriously hurt. Thanks for the photo update.

Ghost
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, it had to have gone out under its own power. Otherwise, it never would have maintained its head-on angle to the surf, not even through the next two waves we saw it cross on the video. I think it limped out at low RPM and that might well have been the difference between some people living or dying.

John C in PA
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Wow, that will not buff out.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

John C in PA

biggiefl
02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

gcarter
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I wonder if both sides look like that?.......................

gcarter
02-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Ya know, that's pretty dramatic...................

Glass boat sides generally don't have a lot of beef in them, they depend on the fairly cylindrical shape of the hull and deck (monocoque) to maintain strength.

I'm thinking it would have had to hit something pretty substantial to do that (I think).
Maybe skidded sideways into a rock in the bottom of a trough.

gcarter
02-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Mind you, I don't want to know so bad that I would have willingly been on board to find out!!!!!!!!:eek:

katanna
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
gcarter

"I wonder if both sides look like that?"......................

Inside and outside?

Carl C
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
It looked like the boat dropped about 40'. Maybe it landed on the port stern hard and snapped the boat in half on that side. Is this repairable?

gcarter
02-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Katana; port and starboard. Of course, it depends on how it landed. It just seemed possible it could have stressed both sides..............

Carl, yes, it's repairable, but I don't know if the insurance co. wouldn't total it first.

scippy
02-06-2013, 07:55 PM
With a boat of that size in free fall the impact force must have been tremendous!
To me (and I can't say what the FRP tolerance's are) but it looks like the hull cracked
right on a hard spot probably right beneath the bulkhead....maybe a testament to
what a 43zr is built from.....or lack of.

mattyboy
02-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Pete,
just imagine the forces exerted on the human body :eek:

BUIZILLA
02-07-2013, 06:57 AM
when you have a ton and a half of machinery weight behind that crack falling more than 35', somethings gonna give on the upswing when it lands...

I think it held up pretty good, all considered

biggiefl
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
It really depends on how it landed. When jumping ocean waves 3 things usually happen. 1) You launch and you launch good and land in the trough(probably what happened here. 2) Your transom slides down the back of the wave even though the bow is still skyward. 3) It breaks on your deck and you go through the wave(not what happened here).

Even though she looked majorly skyward exiting that wave, when she hit with a bow that long...she is gonna SLAM the bow down. The force on the human body might not have been extreme depending on how it landed but the force on the center of the hull could be massive....like a belly flop.

Phil S
02-07-2013, 08:43 PM
..thinking it's a good chance she hit bottom as well...how much water depth could there be between those kind of waves ? Hoping everyone survived ! Any pics of the stern / drives ?

Agree with all posts stating Captain had already made a mistake. Sorry for my "walk in the park" post, as it didn't seem that bad from the grainy video I get.

He probably had a couple better choices to make at this point. One probably feels a bit invincible in a 43ZR though.

Again, hoping no one got seriously injured.

Phil S.

pipnit
02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Ask the guy who was airborn 7 feet up in the air and landed on the deck about how intense it was on the human body.

f_inscreenname
02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
One of the sickest feelings I've ever had is a boat "falling" (not skipping but falling) out of a wave and you know whats coming next.

biggiefl
02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
"Ask the guy who was airborn 7 feet up in the air and landed on the deck about how intense it was on the human body."

Again...it really depends on how the boat landed. Could have broken a spleen or a black & blue mark on his calf.

pipnit
02-10-2013, 09:25 PM
come on, the guy was in the air and landed on the fore deck in front of the wind shield. I don't care how you cut it, he was hurting.

Carl C
02-11-2013, 06:42 AM
I don't see anyone landing on the deck and if someone did then how would he stay with the boat? This comment was taken from the YouTube comments: "I actually know the owner and one one of the passengers. My buddy dislocated his hip and shoulder when the third passenger landed right on top of him."

pipnit
02-11-2013, 07:03 AM
a lot of people were speculating that there was someone on the deck. If you watch the movie, after roll over the smaller wave at :55 you can see "somthing" up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsCyRol4TA

Dislocated hip... ouch...

biggiefl
02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't see anyone on the deck and I did not see anyone flying 7' in the air besides the hull itself.

DonziJosh
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
If you watch the video in full-screen mode, you can definitely see someone get tossed up over the windshield. They wind up clinging to the bow rail. They were really lucky they didn't get tossed!

DonziJosh
02-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Here's a screen shot where you can see the guy clinging to the deck rail after the boat flops off the biggest wave. He's clearly forward of the windscreen.

Carl C
02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
It does appear to be a person on the deck. I guess it's a good thing there was a bow rail because the last thing these guys needed was to deal with a MOB in those waves.