PDA

View Full Version : Need Prop Advice for a 73 X18

73X18
02-02-2013, 11:41 AM
I read some great content about this subject especially from Big Griz. I have an all original 1973 X18 with a recently re-built 350 Chevy 300+hp through a Volvo-Penta 270 no trim of course. I am thinking of going with a Solas SS and can't decide between a 21 inch and 23 pitch. I don't pull skiers so don't care about coming out of the hole. I like a high bow ride and run this boat on an inland lake so not concerned about going too fast. Biggest wave I see is from someone pulling a wake boarder.

I am getting to about 52 mph GPS at 5400 RPM. Would love to approach or hit 60 mph. A little blowout occasionally is okay.

I would appreciate any good suggestions. Thanks!

72Hornet
02-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I ordered two Solas Propellors from Griz on my Hornet 19, original stock 350 GM 320 HP that runs strong. I ordered the 19 and then talked to Griz and then ordered the 21. The 19 gave me way too many RPM's, but really woke up the engine. The 21 seems to be the sweet one for my boat. It has nice hole shot and gives me fairly good bow lift. For performance, I really do not like to rev the boat that hard on wide open, but it hits 5000 and that is plenty for me. I guess that I would try the 21 first and go from there. It would be so nice to have both props side by side so you could see the results right after another. I love how it made my Hornet perform. (now you have me thinking that I should try a 23!) Good luck and let me know how you come out!

Just Say N20
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
21. 19 Solas won't be enough and you need a lot more hp to turn a 23.

I know of a few people with Classic 18s with over 350 hp running the 23.

I bought a 23 for my 16, with over 430 hp and 500 ft lbs. Volvo 290 with trim.

I will let you know in the spring how it runs. :)

72Hornet
02-02-2013, 06:16 PM
With 430 hp in your 16 and a Volvo 290 with trim, that will be wild! My 19' Hornet is a big boat and alot of hull to push without trim. I have the 270 Volvo drive that is original to the boat. It is a rock solid drive, and I often wonder how much that hull and engine combo would awaken if it only had trim! At it's current state, it is a blast to drive, fun in rough water and turns alot of heads. The flared bow gives a very dry ride with a soft re-entry when I air it out a bit. No better feeling! Nice job on your 16' restoration BTW!

73X18
02-03-2013, 09:23 AM
This forum is great, thanks guys. I just joined and can see already this is going to be fantastic.

So it looks like a 21 inch pitch is the right one for me, maybe 23 but not for now. Couple questions... I know I need a LH prop and know I want SS. Is Solas the best or only choice? I saw some mentions of Ultra. Do they come cupped for bow lift or do I need to specify that? How do I get the right hub type? It is NOT through through hub exhaust, right? Is it long hub shaft???

I just want to make sure I get the right kind for a 73 Volvo-Penta 270.

Thanks!

73X18
02-03-2013, 09:27 AM
16 with a 23 pitch and that much hp plus trim?! That will be unreal. Let us know. Take a video of that too.

72Hornet
02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
73X18, Go with the Solas, Griz worked with them and got the Solas family to specifically design that propellor to the Volvo outdrive. I met all of them at the Miami Boat show back in 2007 or 2008. I too have the Volvo 270 outdrive and think you will be very impressed by the 21 and what it does to your performance. I had to have my prop shaft drilled and threaded to fit the Solas to my Volvo outdrive. I would send pictures, but I am layed up for a few weeks. Just had a tendon repair on my knee, so computer is my relief for a month or so...
Griz was a great friend and help to the Donzi world... I enjoyed his enthusiasm and his historical perspective on the marine industry.

73X18
02-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the help and sorry about your knee.

Can you give me a little more info on what was necessary on your prop shaft? I was hoping I could just put it on. What did you have to drill? Does it hurt the ability to use the original style props again?

mattyboy
02-04-2013, 06:03 AM
I did a lot of testing for Griz on the solas it is for sure a prop to have in your arsenal.

the Volvo AQ had two different Hubs long and standard( sometimes called short) with the right equipment both hubs can be run on both shafts.

first you will need a few different length thrust washers , you might need to drill and tap the shaft for the prop cone bolt, and you might need to address the clearance of your torque tab/fin.

the thrust washers space the prop and you will need to get it out far enough away from the shaft anode not to hit and in far enough that the prop nut has enough thread to bite and hold. the later is the part where you have to worry about the torque tab.

the attached pic might help. Also iI wrote a thread on the other forum some 6 years back not sure if it is still there or not, on my solas testing. It has some info and part numbers on an torque tab that will work.
I don't own the 16 any more and my new benchseat is a volvo , it was second nature the solas went right on as soon as i got the old prop off.

I had a few very long thrust washers i had a friend cut them into a few different sizes with a little change I could run any AQ prop i wanted and I had A LOT of props before I found the solas.

SanDogDewey
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I did a lot of testing for Griz on the solas it is for sure a prop to have in your arsenal.

the Volvo AQ had two different Hubs long and standard( sometimes called short) with the right equipment both hubs can be run on both shafts.

first you will need a few different length thrust washers , you might need to drill and tap the shaft for the prop cone bolt, and you might need to address the clearance of your torque tab/fin.

the thrust washers space the prop and you will need to get it out far enough away from the shaft anode not to hit and in far enough that the prop nut has enough thread to bite and hold. the later is the part where you have to worry about the torque tab.

the attached pic might help. Also iI wrote a thread on the other forum some 6 years back not sure if it is still there or not, on my solas testing. It has some info and part numbers on an torque tab that will work.
I don't own the 16 any more and my new benchseat is a volvo , it was second nature the solas went right on as soon as i got the old prop off.

I had a few very long thrust washers i had a friend cut them into a few different sizes with a little change I could run any AQ prop i wanted and I had A LOT of props before I found the solas.

Just installed a Solas on my standard hub 270. Used the thrust washer (A) that was used with the original prop, the propeller cone (D) and allen bolt (E). Do I need a washer (B)?

mattyboy
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
73 your looking for a solas titan 3 blade if your helm is on the left order LH

Sandog, I use a threaded washer and a nylock nut with out the cone , with the cone i would use the washer for a snug even fit.

73X18
02-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks Mattyboy- great info, really appreciate it.

i have seen conflicting opinions on how many RPM's I should be running wide open. It's a rebuilt Chevy 350 Chris Craft marine engine so it is built to run faster than if in a car right? My mechanic felt 5400 RPM WOT was fine. Others have written indicating that is too high. I realize a bigger pitch will drop the RPM. Maybe others comments are base on MPH versus dangerously high RPM?

Ghost
02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I think MOST marine engines are built to run at higher AVERAGE CONTINUOUS RPM (AKA: cruising RPM) than are most car engines, but not higher peak RPM. A boat might well run at 3600-3800 for very long periods. A non-racing car is not likely to see that sort of sustained load.

And when I say "built" I'm thinking high-temperature valves, enough cooling to dissipate the heat, a torque curve with enough grunt to get up on plane at low RPM, and...I'm not sure what else. And even with such things in a marine motor, that only prevents it from grenading right away. It's still going to suffer a lot more wear than most car motors and the life span before rebuild will be far lower no matter what.

So, with all that, if your motor is a Chris-Craft-marinized offering that's been rebuilt per stock specs, 5400 sounds high to me. Without a cam swap, I'd think you'd be well down on torque up there and noticeably below peak power. 4600-5000 would be more my expectation of the desired WOT RPM, depending on which 350 setup it is. MAYBE as high as 5200.

But I'm half-guessing--others here will know.

mattyboy
02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
5000 rpm was alway my personal limit. I have seen a 35 yr old 350 sbc and volvo 270 run at 5100 for the better part of about a hour on a 70 mile one stop poker run.

there are guys here who spin the volvo mid 5's without much issue on a daily basis . the big thing is getting the right prop so far the solas in my book is the best .

if your motor can turn a solas 21 to 5000 you're at 60-61 mph. if your motor can turn a solas 23 to 5000 your at 67-68 mph.

your motor will need it's wheaties to turn a solas 23 to 5000

Sandog with the washer I would use one

72Hornet
02-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks to Matty for the great description on what is needed to do to your Volvo outdrive on the prop change. I also had to custom build a plate to cover the trim fin on the lower housing. It has not seemed to impact the handling or performance of the boat. I am running the same 1972 Chris Craft conversion in my Hornet. My Chris Craft book states that it supposed to put out 320 hp. Redline is at 5600, although I have never run it that hard. To my knowledge the engine has never been torn down according to the two owners who owned it since new. It has very strong, even compression and is "dialed in" according to my standards and my marine mechanic who is quite adept and knowledgeable. Very fun to drive and enjoy!

73X18
02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I spoke with my mechanic today and he was referring to the original specs from the booklet I gave him. He's said that Chris Crft 350 produces 320 hp and is supposed to run at 5700 RPM. He's said it was built or that and has a special cam etc. Interesting... I have the original 21 pitch aluminum prop and he gave me a 22 aluminum that runs great at 5700. Problem is it only goes 52 or 53 mph. I also have a brass prop but I have no idea what it is.

I am trying to get this guy to join his forum. He has all kinds of great Donzi history I am learning. Like for example, why they wanted that many RPM's for racing back in he day.

mattyboy
02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
73x,

the real thing that makes the solas a great prop is how efficient they are , or how well the prop grips the water . your numbers are at about 28% slip which is aweful
. in a perfect world a 22 pitch should travel 22 inches in one turn but water is not a perfect world. so at 28% slip in one turn your prop travels about 16 inches.

a good prop is around 10% a solas runs between 5-8 % in slip so in one turn the 21 solas travels about 19 .5 inches.

plus diameter is a factor too I would say your setup will turn a 21 solas to about 4900-5000.

I know this all sounds a tad crazy until you try a solas

donzidon
02-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I also have an X-18 (1972), and I am thinking that a Solas 21 prop might give me a bit more speed.
My boat has a bronze prop and runs in the mid-50s at a bit under 5,000 RPM.
Engine is a Ford 351 with Cobra heads. No idea what horsepower, but previous owner built it for reliability more than output. The reason that I think a new prop might help is because the prop hub is a lot smaller than the drive diameter, so I am guessing that I am getting a bit of cavitation and slip. However, the boat is really stable at speed.
No idea of the pitch. Here is what it looks like. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
- Don

Just Say N20
02-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Working from an iPad (smaller image) , it looks like you have an Ultra prop. That was Volvo's high speed prop, and they commonly came in 22, 24 and 26 pitch. Most people run the 24 on the 18s. They aren't a bad prop, but tend to have a higher than average slip.

It looks like you also have power trim. Nice, and somewhat rare. With power trim, and the Ultra prop you can really get the nose of the boat in the air at full power. It will be more squirrelly. As Matty said the Solas 21 will run the boat flatter, without so much bow lift to get top speed, which gives a much more stable ride.

On my 16, when it had around 270 hp, I could turn the 24 Ultra about 200 - 250 rpms more than a 21 Solas. It has been my observation that an 18 with the same power and out drive will be a few mph faster than a 16. If that prop is an Ultra 24, and you spin it to 5,000 (at a lower altitude, with medium fuel, by yourself, not towing a skier, blah, blah, blah), you should be at around 59 - 61 mph. At 5,000 rpms my 16 was at 57.4 GPS mph.

mattyboy
02-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Not any ultra that I have seen. The hub is too narrow. Plus looks like the cav plate has been customized never seen one that flat and the exhaust chamber is gone. You'll need to check what the max dia prop you can run before ordering a solas. The water pickup is covered up in the lower leg. Make sure it is smooth and perfect the Volvo hates turbulent flow

Never mind the first pic just loaded for me someone just bolted an extension on the cav plate

ralphvc
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I have a 73 x18 with 270 T (working). It has the original Chris Craft Century LT1 motor (rebuilt to stock carb and al)l. I tried N2o's 19 against my 21 (both Solas) the 21 out performed the 19 at every RPM. I hit 4700 at about 55 MPH. Horsepower is unknown. I have not tuned the motor and the carb is a rebuilt Carter. Not sure what a new carb would do but I am leaving it all original. Good Luck

mattyboy
02-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Ralph
yes you would need to spin the 19 to 5-5100 rpm's to get near 57, the difference might be a motor with no low end torque so a 19 might plane quicker but then fall short on cruise and wot to the 21. For the most part with stock engines in a classic the 21 solas or the 24 ultra seems to be the right fit, the big HP guys are at the 23 solas and the 26 ultra.

A few more thoughts on the solas the pitch is understated add 1-2 inches of pitch to the number due to the cup and the wider diameter.

donzidon the solas doesn't like to be bunched up Jay Lurie had one on his 200 lower which has the cav plate closer to the prop than a 250 or 270 it had handling issues once he went to a 250 lower this went away. So that extension on the cav plate might cause some adverse handling issue .

the solas likes clean water so a nose cone might get you a bit of an improvement in top end , the lower leg on the early aq's didn't like a turbulent flow that's why the inner strakes are so far forward on the 16 and 19.

73X18
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Awesome info guys. @Mattyboy, l loved the explanation about efficiency. I had no idea and it makes so much sense! It answered a lot of my questions too.

73X18
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Okay, I am ready to spring for a 21 inch Solas. I know I need a LH, SS 21 inch. Is there anything else I need to specify? Does anyone know a good place to buy one and what the correct product code number might be? I just want to make sure I order the right one. Thanks again for all the help.

73X18
02-13-2013, 08:24 PM
21 inch Solas arrived today. It's a beaut. Seems big though. Please tell me I ordered the right one. It's LH of course bu the diameter is 15 5/8. Is that right? Fingers crossed...

badbird
02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
That's the baby i run.....:propeller:

73X18
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice looking boat. Thanks for the info. I see you used the cone. Did it require any special washers? Not sure if my 270 is different from your 280 in that regard.

mattyboy
02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
yes that is what I meant by wider diameter the solas titan is nearly at the max of what a volvo aq will spin.

BUIZILLA
02-14-2013, 07:08 AM

74603beautiful boat, badbird.. :worthy:

SanDogDewey
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Very nice! Are you running a 351?

I've got the Solas 19 mounted up to my 302. As soon as my new outdrive helmet shows up I'm going to drop this thing in the water and try it out.

72Hornet
02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Patrick, I am excited to see your results with the Solas 19 Pitch on your Ski Sporter. I ordered a 19 and 21P from Griz four years ago for my 72 Hornet. The Hornet has the 270 Volvo drive and the 21 pitch was the sweet one for that application. I am going to put the 19P to work on a 1968 18' with the original 225 Holman Moody Ford V-8 and the original 250 Volvo outdrive.
For my 270, I drilled and tapped the Prop Shaft and also made a new plate for the trim fin to gain clearance. What alterations did you have to do on yours?

SanDogDewey
02-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Patrick, I am excited to see your results with the Solas 19 Pitch on your Ski Sporter. I ordered a 19 and 21P from Griz four years ago for my 72 Hornet. The Hornet has the 270 Volvo drive and the 21 pitch was the sweet one for that application. I am going to put the 19P to work on a 1968 18' with the original 225 Holman Moody Ford V-8 and the original 250 Volvo outdrive.
For my 270, I drilled and tapped the Prop Shaft and also made a new plate for the trim fin to gain clearance. What alterations did you have to do on yours?

I think I've got a later model 270 (84 date stamp), as the Prop Shaft already had a bolt securing the Prop Cone. All I had to do was make an exhaust cover plate out of SS. My outdrive helmet is supposed to be here on Saturday! Still got some buffing to do on one side of the boat, but we're almost ready to go!

72Hornet
02-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Patrick, I can't wait to see your results, I will have to wait a few months until we get soft water here in Iowa. My plans are to run the 18 first as it is, so then I can record the differences in what the Solas will do on the 18' hull. I am thinking that if it may really wake up the 18's performance. Anyone else out there want to chime in? I have a little seat time on a 1969 Ski Sporter that a good friend of mine owns and he is still running the Volvo propellors. It is a lot of fun, but there is hardly any difference on top speed with his brother's 1968 18. Both are yellow by the way. It is a riot to see them both out running down the lake!

badbird
02-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice looking boat. Thanks for the info. I see you used the cone. Did it require any special washers? Not sure if my 270 is different from your 280 in that regard.

I just use one lock washer with the bolt for the nose cone.It is a lock washer for those type of bolts...not just a standard lock washer.
Should be able to pick them up ay any industrial supplier that sells nut and bolts.

badbird
02-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Very nice! Are you running a 351?

I've got the Solas 19 mounted up to my 302. As soon as my new outdrive helmet shows up I'm going to drop this thing in the water and try it out.

Thanks San and buiz.....I'm running the Chris Craft 350 LT1.

73X18
02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Anybody have an opinion on the Solas Titan vs the Titan 3 vs the Lexor? I ordered a Titan because that is all I thought was available. The box it came in showed the other two. Looks like the Titan 3may have been the one to order?
Thanks

mattyboy
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
the solas uses the Titan name with other Mfgr's . the Lexor looks like a volvo sx prop, not a volvo aq prop the early aq's usually were a 17 spline the sx and newer volvo were 19 spline.

73X18
02-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Ok, thanks we can rule out the Lexor.
the question that remains is Titan or Titan 3. Here is what the box says:
Titan: High Power Applications. High camber blade and large blade area design. Great load carrying capability. Excellent fuel economy.
Titan 3: High Speed Applivation. Performance prop for high speed planing hulls. High rake blade design provides excellent bow lift and acceleration. Heavy cup design increases bite and reduces slip.

Sounds like the Titan 3 is the one I should have ordered. The Titan sounds like it may be better suited for an old deck boat. I want speed and bow lift.

Thougts, experience? I don't even know if the Titan 3 will work on a Volvo-Penta AQ 270 and is available. Their customer service has not replied.

mattyboy
02-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Using the solas website prop finder the models that work with the 280-290AQ. Are

Amita3. Alum 3 blade. 14 inch dia pitches from 13-23 both left and right but the 23 is only right handed this is not the prop you want

Amita3 e plus alum 3 blade larger dia then the amita3 pitches 13-21 both left and right. This is not the prop you want

Amita4. Alum 4 blade dia falls from 14.75-14 as pitch rises from 15 to 23 but the 23 is only right. This is not the prop you want
I have a left hand 21 on order to try see how a 4 blade works but not holding hope out

Saturn. SS 3 blade dia 15 pitches 15-21 both left and right. This is not the prop you want

Saturn 4. SS 4 blade dia 15.5 pitches 15-19. This is not the prop you want

Titan. SS 3 blade dia 15-5/8 pitches 15-23 this is the only model they make in a 23 pitch that is left handed this is the prop big grizz worked on this is the prop I tested this is the prop when people say they have a solas on their Volvo AQ
If you prop is 15-5/8 in dia

This IS the prop you want I don't have the boxes for my solas props or what the part numbers were i got them a long time ago, but it shows 8842-156-21 as the part number for the 15-5/8 21 pitch left hand titan prop maybe someone who has a box or the part number of a prop they ordered recently which may help.

i can't find a titan 3 in a search but they do show a video on youtube with a titan 3 mentioned. it may just be some confusion with the name. These props were not around 8-9 years ago and I can't see them making a general purpose SS prop and a high speed SS prop for the old volvo AQ when there is no market for a general purpose SS prop just the market for high performance SS prop for the classic go fast crowd.

I miss Randy :(

detroitdonzi
02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
I have a hydromotive intimidator 3 got it years ago.The boats a 73 x18 LT-1 with 270t.The original prop when ordered from Hydromotive ,was a 23pitch and boat lost 500 rpms.I sent prop out the Henry Smith a local prop shop here in Michigan ,and had a little pitch removed.This summer my old alum. prop spun the hub so ,I put the hydro on and was suprised the boat was now close to 68-69 mph at 5800 rpms.

mattyboy
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Ted,
some more info the part number i posted is for a titan 3 according to getaprop.com so you should have the right one

http://www.getaprop.com/content-product_info/product_id-10059/solas_titan_3_long_hub_propeller_volvo.html

73X18
02-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks Mattyboy

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Ted,
some more info the part number i posted is for a titan 3 according to getaprop.com so you should have the right one

http://www.getaprop.com/content-product_info/product_id-10059/solas_titan_3_long_hub_propeller_volvo.html

The Titan 3 prop numbers they give are for the Titan props - I do not believe they consider the Titan 3 any different than the Titan. Just my take going by the part numbers. Bill

mattyboy
02-21-2013, 07:36 PM
That's kind of the impression I got too Bill

73X18
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
The tech guy from Solas got back. Spoke with him, sharp guy, 45 years of boat racing experience, based in Miami, knows Donzi's...

Told me that the Titan is the only one available for the AQ270 and while there is a Titan 3 it wouldn't fit. He said the Titan should work well, will provide some bow lift and has a slight cup to it. He said if I wanted to add more cup after running it I could get it tip cupped at a good prop shop.

Thanks everybody for the input. Counting down the weeks before the ice leaves the lake.

72Hornet
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I am hoping that my 19 pitch from Griz will work on the Volvo 250 leg on the 1968 18 that is coming into my home. Anybody want to chime in if they know if it will fit and work on my 250 Volvo leg? It fit on my Volvo 270 drive on my 1972 Hornet, but the boat ran too high on the RPM's for my comfort. Griz sent me a 21 and that was the sweet spot for my Hornet. Just got cleared to drive today from my knee surgery and drove for the first time in 4 weeks. A bit uncomfortable with the brace, but doable! Trying to line up some time in the next few weeks to pick up the 18'. Can't wait!
I got to thinking about when I met Griz at the Miami Boat Show. It was with 2007 or 2008. He was so helpful and introduced me to both Dr. Solas' at the Solas Booth. I still have their business cards. Randy was a great guy, and I think about him everytime I take the Hornet out...

mattyboy
02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Royce
I ran a solas on my original 250 it will work if you have an issue let me know I have stuff to make it work

72Hornet
02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks Matty! I just got cleared to drive and am headed for a 300 mile drive today to Madison Wisconsin for a class that I want to take this week. A bit unconfortable with the brace, but it will be done. Taking a class and then hoping for schedules to work out for arranging a trip to pick up the 18' Donzi late this week. I am getting a bit anxious as I am ready to for summer and to be here and to bee able to walk without crutches or a knee brace! Funny how we take stuff for granted! Getting healed one day at a time!

72Hornet
02-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Patrick, I was wondering if you had the chance to splash your 18' yet with the Solas prop? I am anxious to see how it worked out for you! Inquiring minds want to know!

mattyboy
02-24-2013, 08:33 AM
The tech guy from Solas got back. Spoke with him, sharp guy, 45 years of boat racing experience, based in Miami, knows Donzi's...

Told me that the Titan is the only one available for the AQ270 and while there is a Titan 3 it wouldn't fit. He said the Titan should work well, will provide some bow lift and has a slight cup to it. He said if I wanted to add more cup after running it I could get it tip cupped at a good prop shop.

Thanks everybody for the input. Counting down the weeks before the ice leaves the lake.

I think the extra cup was something that Randy had done on the very early first edition of the solas. I remember the first 23 showing up at the Dustoff a year before they were released and it was tested on a very healthy 377ci motor and it could be barely spun to about 4300 rpm. My numbers with the first 21 had a GRIP not slip number which is impossible the numbers made sense if you put it in a 23 pitch prop. This would go by the rule of thumb add an inch of pitch for every inch of diameter and for additional cupping.

I also told Randy I would go to my prop guy to have it tweaked, he said that he wouldn't get much more out of the prop just leave it as is.

Ted I would run the prop and i would bet you'll be happy with the way it performs out of the box.

SanDogDewey
02-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Patrick, I was wondering if you had the chance to splash your 18' yet with the Solas prop? I am anxious to see how it worked out for you! Inquiring minds want to know!

Not yet. Just finished painting the outdrive. The boat goes in for interior on 5 May. You can follow my progress here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?67999-Dewey-s-New-Project/page7

smidgen too
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best. But as I have found in 40 years of boating, production props performance can very from prop to prop. Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today. My Magnum sport has the Merc shafts in the Volvo drives that are raised 3" up. My props are solid hub 23p Mirage that work very well, and are easy & reasonable to find as they are used on Trs & Bravo drives. If someone could broach Merc props out it may open up a bigger selection of props with out breaking the bank.
Mark

mattyboy
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM
My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best. But as I have found in 40 years of boating, production props performance can very from prop to prop. Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today. My Magnum sport has the Merc shafts in the Volvo drives that are raised 3" up. My props are solid hub 23p Mirage that work very well, and are easy & reasonable to find as they are used on Trs & Bravo drives. If someone could broach Merc props out it may open up a bigger selection of props with out breaking the bank.
Mark

Just say N20 has a 26 cleaver of mine that was a merc prop with a volvo hub pressed in it. I never had any luck with it but i was no where near the HP or trim he will be running . i don't think I spun it high enough to find it's sweet spot . I am looking fwd to seeing what he feels about the prop compared to the solas. He also has a merc 25 chopper setup for the volvo which was a great mid range cruise prop but a wild mess at WOT .

i felt the the 21 solas ran better than any other prop I tried , which all in all was probably 2 ultras , 2 brass narrow hub , a custom spinelli, a few michigan and the two mentioned above.

Again this was on a non trim 250 at the standard lower X the early volvo classics had. I was told the older volvo didn't like a turbulent flow which explains the lower x and the lack of inner lifting strakes on the very early boats. The lower was redesigned on the later AQ's and a lot has been learned in the 4 decades since. Maybe raising the X might help but in an older 16 or 18 that might be problematic with clearance .

Smidge I agree normally stock props have a great degree of variation but everyone has had close to the same consistent outcome with the solas.

Interesting stuff always has me curious.

COME ON LET"S GO ICE OUT ALREADY WE WANT TO GO BOATING

mattyboy
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Mark

Just say N20 has a 26 cleaver of mine that was a merc prop with a volvo hub pressed in it. I never had any luck with it but i was no where near the HP or trim he will be running . i don't think I spun it high enough to find it's sweet spot . I am looking fwd to seeing what he feels about the prop compared to the solas. He also has a merc 25 chopper setup for the volvo which was a great mid range cruise prop but a wild mess at WOT .

i felt the the 21 solas ran better than any other prop I tried , which all in all was probably 2 ultras , 2 brass narrow hub , a custom spinelli, a few michigan and the two mentioned above.

Again this was on a non trim 250 at the standard lower X the early volvo classics had. I was told the older volvo didn't like a turbulent flow which explains the lower x and the lack of inner lifting strakes on the very early boats. The lower was redesigned on the later AQ's and a lot has been learned in the 4 decades since. Maybe raising the X might help but in an older 16 or 18 that might be problematic with clearance .

Smidge I agree normally stock props have a great degree of variation but everyone has had close to the same consistent outcome with the solas.

mattyboy
02-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Mark

take 3 posted this like 3 times but the damn moderator thingy keeps getting me I feel like rainman ??

mattyboy
02-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Justsayn20 has two props of mine that are Merc props with a volvo hub pressed in. I never had much luck with either one but his setup is a tad different trim and HP
so I hope he finds what he is looking for, can't wait for spring to see his numbers.

the solas was designed a few years ago specifically for the aq's so it has shown consistant performance from everyone who tries them.

this is try 4 for this reply really feel like rainman now 2 minutes to wapner 2 minutes to wapner

hopefully the moderator approves my previous replies as it they some more info that I am not going to retype

Just Say N20
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
My son is now the new owner of Ralph's X-18. As Ralph said he found the 21 Solas to work best.

Congratulations! That is a nice boat. He should really enjoy it.

Has anyone ever found a shop that will broach a Merc prop out to a 17 spline Volvo ? Back years ago there were many shops in my Detroit area that could do it reasonably , not much luck in finding one today.

I spent considerable time trying to find someone to do that (I live in Grand Rapids, MI), calling all across the country, and had exactly 0% success.

Mark

Matty, I too am anxious to do some testing and get some solid numbers. Are you ready for me to send the Solas 19 out yet?

mattyboy
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Matty, I too am anxious to do some testing and get some solid numbers. Are you ready for me to send the Solas 19 out yet?

Bill,
no rush run the two props and see if they work for you. then we can talk no sense in sending props back and forth. my lake is still waiting on ice out but we have had a lot of rain so it should not be too long,,,,,,,,,, if old man winter doesn't send any parting shots.

mattyboy
02-28-2013, 06:07 AM
some of the other info I had mentioned in the missing posts

the volvo don't like a turbulent flow, this is the main reason for the short inner strakes on the early classics. Not sure if it was the nature of the lower case or limited prop technology at the time.
Raising the X on a volvo 16 or 18 might be a problem with clearance and may be more of a PITA then it's worth. In a twin app with no clearance issues, being wider out with newer props they work well.

Smidge I do agree that out of the box on most props there is a great degree of variance in performance. Grizz did a lot of legwork and homework on this offering and the product is very consistant out of the box.

Bill

the 26 cleaver you have I never could get to it's sweet spot they like the water near the surface and with no trim I could never get it there.

the 25 chopper was a great cruising prop at 3000-3500 but at wot is was a wild mess not sure why could be it torqued the cable steering to much or didn't like my nose cone just not sure .

smidgen too
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Back in 1992 we tested for 5 days our Skater race cat at Mercury's Marine old Florida Lake X. We were able to try every prop combination that they had in there inventory. In testing we found that even Mercury's paired labed props worked differently from set to set.. When we were done we found 10mph in there props combinations. Thats why I say try as many props as you can. You never know you my find one to work better than the one that's ID stamped the same. It's great to see members here help each other with props to try out, much easier on the wallet.