PDA

View Full Version : Looking at new trucks...truck traction question

Craig S
02-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm looking at buying a new truck this spring. I sold my Cummins 3 years ago (qc, 4x4, posi), and the past 2 years have been unsatisfied trying to find a clean Gen 1 Lightning (I don't want to pay what a clean one goes for).

Anyways, the question is: do I have to have positraction to pull the 24' Nova or 19' Arabian out of the water? Normally I would say yes, but these new trucks all have traction control.

Is electronic traction control good enough?

btw, I'm looking at the following:
regular cab Hemi Ram Express (8spd auto I hope),
reg cab STX Ford F150 5.0 (6 spd auto) - I test drove yesterday...a tire smoker,
King Cab Frontier SV6 with the 6 speed manual trans (needless to say, the six speed is a big plus...that and the looks).

The Frontier is only available with the electronic traction control. The Ford apparently is available with either electronic posi traction or the traditional type - along with electronic traction control, and the Dodge is available with sure grip and/or the electronic traction control.

Thanks, Craig

Offset
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Craig, I have posi traction on my Ford F150 (crew cab with short box) along with electronic traction control. It works exceptionally well pulling up the ramp with a load on (22C). The only problem with it is trying to have fun in the snow, you have to remember to shut off the ETC!

I really like my truck and would buy another. I like the back up camera along with the back up alarm, just makes you a little more aware of what is around you without the bang.

Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:

Craig S
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks...if I go the posi route, I may have to order. Big engine in short bed, short cab is a rare combo in itself, let alone lower gears and posi.

I noticed when I nailed the F150 from a 15mph roll yesterday, it started smoking both tires. Since it was non-posi, I guess that was being controlled by the electronic brake/stability control. 15' or so of very even marks in my rear view mirror. I was impressed.

Craig

VetteLT193
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I haven't seen many F150's without the limited slip or electronic locking axle. you sure it had the basic 3.31 rear? it's only a 400 dollar ish option to get the electric locking axle. Are you looking at the standard cab model? that might be why as I've been looking at supercrews.

If it were me... I'd spend the 400 bucks and get the electronic locking axle. then you know you won't be stuck. I don't think you need 4x4 anymore with the locking axles either. They are pretty good unless your ramps are horrible.

Craig S
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm only looking at the standard...or regular cab (excepting the Frontier). With a 6.5' bed. It is real limiting. I may have to order.
Craig

Craig S
03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I ordered a regular cab short bed F150 STX...5.0, 3.55:1, traction lock.
It came in yesterday. I'll pick it up next Wednesday - and take a bike to the hillcountry. Anxious to check the mileage on the trip.

Thanks for the help.
Craig

VetteLT193
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
I've been reading that it takes a few thousand miles for the break-in before you see your best mileage. Congrats on the truck!

biggiefl
03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Don't be too anxious to empty that wallet. My Hemi Ram on FL highways with cruise set at 70 I get 21-22mpg with cyl deactivation which is great...around town, 12-14.

Ghost
03-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Congrats Craig. Is it dark green to match the 24? Or is it something sensible like white, because of the sun down there?

Craig S
03-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Ghost...green would have been good, but I'd have to have bought a more expensive truck. Black was what I ended up ordering. At least it'll match the Cobra Jet Ranchero...and the mighty Yaris.

Biggie, its got the 360hp Coyote 5.0. From what I've been reading, I'm expecting low 20s on a tank on road trips. In town...I'll have the mighty Yaris.

And Vette, I'll be taking it easy.

Compared to what most of you guys drive, its really low end. But its as close to a 1995 Lightning as I could get. And I'm hoping it'll fit in the garage with the Ranchero, the Yaris, the bikes and the Saleen.

After selling my Cummins Diesel 4x4 (and the cash infusion certainly helped me when I needed it!) in the fall of 2010, I have since gotten tired of renting 6 or so times a year.
Craig

Craig S
03-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Congrats Craig. Is it dark green to match the 24? Or is it something sensible like white, because of the sun down there?

sensible...what fun is that? And...isn't this a classic performance boating site? sensible!!! not!

yembo77
03-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Now that 5.0 ain't bad at 360 HP but you should have gotten the Lightening. But I hear you on the resale thing. They're either beat to he'll and cheap or well taken care of and going for top dollar. I'm currently in the same boat looking for a trailblazer SS. That F150 should be a fun truck and a blank canvas for custom work. You don't see many of those configurations with the 5.0.

Matt

biggiefl
03-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Friend has the 5.0 but quad cab(green) like my ram and he gets maybe 20. Other friend has the Eco quad and gets 24ish, I am in the middle due to cyl deactivation from what i read. Then again you are a bunch lighter than me with a reg cab, could see 22. It really does not matter as we don't own these for the mileage. We own them because we need to tow. Modern technology is great. My 91 Bronco with a 210hp 351 got 10...maybe 12 on hwy with cruise set at 65 and could not spin a tire on dirt. 22mpg with 390hp is awesome and this thing hauls a$$! keep us posted.

Craig S
03-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Friend has the 5.0 but quad cab(green) like my ram and he gets maybe 20. Other friend has the Eco quad and gets 24ish, I am in the middle due to cyl deactivation from what i read. Then again you are a bunch lighter than me with a reg cab, could see 22. It really does not matter as we don't own these for the mileage. We own them because we need to tow. Modern technology is great. My 91 Bronco with a 210hp 351 got 10...maybe 12 on hwy with cruise set at 65 and could not spin a tire on dirt. 22mpg with 390hp is awesome and this thing hauls a$$! keep us posted.

I had pretty well narrowed my hunting down to a HEMI Ram Sport rcsb (geez, the HEMI is really fast...like a rubber band sucking you towards the horizon!), and a Frontier KC SV6. On both the sites, however, the mpg is all over the place. I never could figure out why people were getting 13-25 on 2005-2012 V6 Frontiers without a load (8-11 loaded, not making much difference whether it was 6 speed or auto). The Ram guys seemed to fluctuate in testimonials between 15-23 with the late cyl deactivation models. After mos of reading, I figured that was depending on whether they were in 4 cyl mode (less than 65mph?), and trucking down the road at 75-80 on all 8.

The G1 Lightning? As I'm a worrywart, I'd see myself leaving in the middle of the night with my clean Lightning, having something simple go out because it was 20 years old. With mileage very much like your Bronco at 12-14 mpg with no more than the motorcycle in the bed.

Then I drove the 5.0 F150 rcsb and thought it wasn't too bad a looking rig...then noticed the guys were all fairly consistent in mileage claims (high teens to little over twenty with 4wd and SuperCrews). As most of my truck driving is having to do with motorcycles, mileage is important. I rented a v6 3.7L work truck F150 and got 17 avg over 200 miles, half of which was towing the Arabian in Houston.

But the HEMI rocks! And the R/T is really sweet, if one can get buy with two seats. The 8 speed will only make it better.

This is "truck month" in Texas (apparently a 90 day event!), and the rebates were way better on Ford regular cabs than the MOPAR equivalent. Nissan? I'm not quite sure that they've even introduced their 2013 Frontier yet!

I think mine is running under 22k on a 29k+ sticker. Plus bed liner and brake controller.
Craig:us-texas:

Greg
03-22-2013, 03:12 PM
You are looking at some classy rides. But I personally love my Ram 1500 Hemi quad cab. Pulls the boat great, you don't even know its back there. (21' Scarab tandom trailer.) Living in northern Ill. I opted for the 20" tires and the factory mags. Absolutely no problem on the ramps and I can go thru anything the winter throws at us. just my .02. Greg

Conquistador_del_mar
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
You are looking at some classy rides. But I personally love my Ram 1500 Hemi quad cab. Pulls the boat great, you don't even know its back there. (21' Scarab tandom trailer.) Living in northern Ill. I opted for the 20" tires and the factory mags. Absolutely no problem on the ramps and I can go thru anything the winter throws at us. just my .02. Greg

A friend took us out to dinner in the same truck as yours with the leather package and every option. I was really impressed! It has a nice ride and the appointments are well done. Bill

Craig S
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
The CrewCab Dodges that I've rented over the past 3 years have been great driving trucks. And the coil springs have handled one or two full size bikes (Guzzis, CBX, Interceptors), with no problem. They are really nice trucks!

duckhunter
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Congrats on your new truck. Should be an awesome tow rig. Did you drive an ecoboost Ford? If so, I'm curious as to how it ran compared to the Coyote motor.

We tote the boat with a 2WD Sequoia, 380 horse and a 6 speed. For a 7 passenger soccer mom mobile it hauls the mail...

I've had a bunch of trucks since high school, but my favorite was my first brand new vehicle. Special ordered it for college graduation - the window sticker even had my name on it. It was a 1998 Dodge Dakota EC 4x4, darth vader black with the 318, 5 speed manual, and 3.92 posi. Threw on exhaust, intake, and a chip. She was a great little truck! Now I'm married with responsibilities and drive old stuff... At some point I will need to have a mid-life crisis and order a new Corvette though!

Conquistador_del_mar
03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
At some point I will need to have a mid-life crisis and order a new Corvette though!

Yes, congratulations on your new truck - sounds great.

Instead of mid-life crisis, you can easily call it mid-life enjoyment -;)

BUIZILLA
03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
It was a 1998 Dodge Dakota EC 4x4, darth vader black with the 318, 5 speed manual, and 3.92 posi. Threw on exhaust, intake, and a chip. She was a great little truck! Now .. I had a new 1998 Dakota SLT Xcab/5.2/auto/3.92 posi/tow group/ for a shop truck, headers, exhaust, chip, CAI/ we drove the pi$$ out of it for 5 years.... we had to buy 3 sets of rear tires, for each set of fronts... :lookaroun: factory bucket seats absolutely sucked, should have come with a chiropractor as std. equipment.... :boggled:

Craig S
03-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Road my Guzzi V11 Sport to pick up the truck today. No surprises. Bed liner and brake controller installed. Helped me load the Guzzi. Will check the mileage this weekend. So far so good