PDA

View Full Version : Paging Buizilla...injector question

yeller
01-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Buizilla......being the resident injector expert, I'm hoping you can answer my question.

I'm relocating my ECU and will need to lengthen my injector wires. The wires feel stiffer than normal stranded wire....so is injector wire different? Anything to be concerned about if lengthening?

Appreciate any input.

hdsadey
01-30-2013, 06:21 AM
I have a guy I work with who bought a used FAST fuel management system for his street/drag car and all the injector pigtails were cut off. He just got new ends and soldered them on with no issues. Used standard wire . The stiffness of ur harness is probably due to age. Lenghting and reattachment should not b a problem.

BUIZILLA
01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
actually what your lengthening is not the actual injector harness/wires/leads itself, but probably the ECM harness that connects to the main injector harness, correct? or are you lengthening each of the injector harness leads up to the connector so as not to mangle the ECM harness?

whichever is correct, the injectors work on voltage/pulse width and (sometimes) ground interruption as a trigger... any time you work with a harness it is imperative you use the EXACT wire composition of what your working with, and sizing.... if it's a multi strand, say #20 6 copper twisted wire then you use the same 6 strand twisted wire and SOLDER everything... by using 4 or 5 or 7 or 8 strand wire, or even solid wire, even if it's the same supposed gauge *size*, you COULD have an ohm resistance issue which changes the signal strength, response time, and load accuracy. If you have to lengthen or shorten anything check the resistance values of each end of each wire, before and after you make your mod. If it changes nothing at all or .1 or .2 ohms I think you'll be alright, any more than that and you did something wrong.

yeller
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Buizilla,

It was the resistance I was concerned about. Because the wire is obviously different than the other harness wires, I was concerned a special resistance rated wire was used. The wire is exactly the same from the injector all the way to the ECM. Because it's stiffer, it is either solid or a tinned wire. I'll make sure to meter everything before and after.

Thanks! :wavey: