PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Donzi 3250 LXC

Donzi3250LXC
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi all, i just put a deposit on the above boat and looking for some more information about what i should be concerned about or looking for or inherent problems with this model I should be aware of. it has twin 7.4s with brave III's not sure if theyre the 310 or 330hp how do i find out?

Ghost
01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
A boat that size has probably been kept in the water. So, blistering is a question as well as the usual transom/stringer rot. And drivetrain corrosion is a concern--sterndrives don't do well sitting in the water.

Bravo 3s run hot compared to Bravo 1s. Without good drive showers and/or very frequent gear lube changes I'd be wondering how the internals are. Best thing going for those is it might have low hours. Draining the lube, if it is not fresh, might show if there are significant metal shavings or not.

As for those motors, I think the 330/310 difference is just crankshaft vs propshaft measurement of the same beast. I think. Good news is that those don't have a very aggressive cam, so reversion issues are FAR less likely. But compression testing is a good idea for ANY prospective motor purchase.

Best of luck with it. (With that whole 'deposit' thing done, do you still have a chance to adjust price or walk if anything's wrong?)

Mike

Donzi3250LXC
01-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Ghost, it has been lift kept but would be in the water by me in ny. I've had sterndrives on my other boats so not overly worried. Just unfamiliar with bravo iii.

ihave time to adjust or walk after survey and seatrial if anything comes up.

im told donzi dealer was first owner of boat

Ghost
01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Ghost, it has been lift kept

That's a HUGE plus. Maybe it's a plum.

Donzi3250LXC
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
just saw a video of it and noticed it has z32 SS badges on it anyone knwo the difference between an ss and lxc

VetteLT193
01-28-2013, 09:15 AM
just saw a video of it and noticed it has z32 SS badges on it anyone knwo the difference between an ss and lxc

Same hull. SS usually has an aluminum tube arch.

Donzi3250LXC
01-28-2013, 11:01 AM
no aluminum tube arch, straneg

VetteLT193
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
I can't say then. Those boats all seem different. It seems Donzi was semi-custom on them so if someone wanted the SS badge they probably just put it on.

Donzi3250LXC
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
thanks, anything else i should look for good bad or indifferent

DonziJosh
01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
The Z 32 Super Sport (SS) package was a dress-up package to give the boat a bolder, sportier look. Many of the SS boats received 454 Mag or 502 Mag engines. In 2000, the SS package consisted of the following components:

Zero Effort controls (upgraded from standard binnacles) dual remote spot lights, Gaffrig II gauges (upgraded from standard Faria), tubular aluminum sport arch with canvas, mechanical trim tab indicators, "ultimate" stereo upgrade, Corsa Quick & Quiet Plus switchable exhaust system, upgraded ZX steering wheel, and custom color hits in the upholstery. There was an additional upgrade for the solid-color hullsides with custom SS painted graphics. We could have produced an SS boat without the tubular arch if someone requested it, but that was really the biggest part of the package.

Here you can see a photo of the boat in full SS trim: https://www.donzidirect.com/windshields/donzi-pro-line-3250-windshield-complete-assembly.html

Josh

Donzi3250LXC
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
how do i know if i have the 454 mag engines or the regular 454 mpi? what are the sero effort controls, the controls do look a bit different then normal i/o controls. this one donest have the tubular arch. it does have the gafrig gauges has auto trim tabs and the corsa exhaust

VetteLT193
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
zero effort controls should have a flat base and separate shifters / throttles. they look like this and came in either black or white

http://www.mercuryracing.com/accessories/zeroeffortcontrols.php

Usually the engine has a dress cover that should say what it is. If you want to be sure get the serial numbers and look them up. I think Mercruiserparts has a spot to check the serials. https://www.mercruiserparts.com/

Which boat are you looking at? might help to post a link.

VetteLT193
02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
zero effort controls should have a flat base and separate shifters / throttles. they look like this and came in either black or white

http://www.mercuryracing.com/accessories/zeroeffortcontrols.php

Usually the engine has a dress cover that should say what it is. If you want to be sure get the serial numbers and look them up. I think Mercruiserparts has a spot to check the serials. https://www.mercruiserparts.com/

Which boat are you looking at?

DonziJosh
02-03-2013, 09:28 AM
how do i know if i have the 454 mag engines or the regular 454 mpi? what are the sero effort controls, the controls do look a bit different then normal i/o controls. this one donest have the tubular arch. it does have the gafrig gauges has auto trim tabs and the corsa exhaust

Base power was the 7.4 MPI (310 HP). The 454 Mag MPI was an upgrade, with 385 HP. Easiest way is to look right on the flame arrestor cover. While the 310 HP engine was based on the same 454 big block, Mercruiser called it a 7.4, and called the 385 HP engine a 454 Mag. Presuming you've got the original engines in it, if it says "454 Mag" then it's the more powerful engine. If someone is advertising the boat with 7.4s, it most likely has the engines with 310 propshaft HP. A nice-running, reliable package.

The standard binnacle controls had two levers, while the upgraded controls had four, with separate levers for throttle and shift.

Donzi3250LXC
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm attaching merc engine reports if i read correct these look like magnums. does anyone know hot to read these and what it says about the engines.

Ghost
02-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Sweet, maybe you just picked up 5+ mph...

Tidbart
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Read the top line. It says it is the 454 Mag MPI. MEFI3 is the marine electronic fuel injection, series 3. Serial number OLxxxxx.

Appears you got the upgrades.

B

Donzi3250LXC
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Should I be concerned one engine has about 10 more hours then the other. Did the magnums come usually with bravo 1's instead of bravo iii's

I'm attaching merc engine reports if i read correct these look like magnums. does anyone know hot to read these and what it says about the engines.

VetteLT193
02-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Should I be concerned one engine has about 10 more hours then the other. Did the magnums come usually with bravo 1's instead of bravo iii's

As far as the hours go... no. 10 hour difference is quite common. It's normal to rig one side to the power steering so if you want to run on one engine for whatever reason (generally while idling around in slow speed zones) it will be the side with the accessories unless you want to battle the steering wheel.

As far as Bravo 1 vs. Bravo 3 it's up to how it was rigged. Customer could have requested the B1's or another reason. I would be very happy with B1's over 3's as they are less complex, less props, and with twins and the right props they should really run the same.

BTW: If you are looking at the Blue lift kept one in St. Pete I'm pretty confident they are NOT mag engines.

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 07:26 AM

One has about 6 hours more than the other. It is probably due to the tendency to start and run one engine more than the other. Maybe while anchoring, going slow, etc. when 2 engines aren't needed, save fuel. No big deal. You have a long way to go before needing to service the internals on those.

As far as the report goes, the tech just hooked up a scan tool and looked at the numbers. He was looking for faults set when something goes wrong, like a sensor saying something is out of spec. He was also looking for something obviously out of range and looking at the engine hours.

From what I see, you are good to go.

I would take a look at the obvious maintenance items like batteries, belts, hoses, oil/filters. Make sure they are not in need of replacement. Also make sure all your accessories work, lights, pumps, etc, general safety stuff. Then go boating.

As far as the drives are concerned, the drives needed depended generally on the boat they were being attached to. You have a big heavy boat that is made for high speeds. They put the IIIs on there to give you extra torque to get up on plane. You have 4 prop there instead of 2. I had a volvo duo-prop setup, not a merc, but loved the way it handled and got out of the hole.

Sounds like it time for you to go boating. Best of luck with the new ride.

B

BUIZILLA
02-08-2013, 07:29 AM
the engine serial numbers will clearly indicate MPI or MAG...

VetteLT193
02-08-2013, 07:44 AM
the engine serial numbers will clearly indicate MPI or MAG...

There are ranges so they must have picked one that fit the description and range but any given serial will fit over multiple engine series part ranges. Not sure why a Merc place wouldn't just look it up :bonk:

Found this site and it confirms they are 7.4 MPI's. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0L633579/2705/parts.html

FASTEDDIE
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Time difference on twin engine hour meters are very common. Last year,I broke a coupler about 30 miles away from my dock at Lake George. I came home slowly on one engine and of course that put 3 hours on one, zero on the other.

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
so these are not the mags, but the regular mpi's? the boat has bravo 1 drives not bravo III's so only 2 props. my current boat had a volvo duo prop drive which i loved it really did get out of the hole. any other thoughts or recomendations?

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 09:07 AM
vette lt1 i am looking at the blue lift kept one in st pete do you know the boat?

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
so these are not the mags, but the regular mpi's? the boat has bravo 1 drives not bravo III's so only 2 props. my current boat had a volvo duo prop drive which i loved it really did get out of the hole. any other thoughts or recomendations?

No, you have 454 Mag MPI engine. 454 cu in, magnum upgraded internals, multi-port fuel injection.

I think what Jim was saying is that the serial numbers tell you what you have. Look here for example: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=454+MAG%2E+MPI+BRAVO +%28GEN+VI%29+GM+454+V%2D8
This is your engine. Any engine with the serial numbers between 0L08xxxx and 0M024xxx was a 454 Mag MPI with a Bravo drive (Gen VI block, V8). Made from about 1998-2002. Just guessing on the years. Years are irrellevant when looking for parts. You will need the serial numbers.

As far as the Bravos are concerned, I misunderstood you question. All the engines that have bravo I or III are setup the same way. The only difference is the drive portion. So, the engines came both ways, with I or III, depending on the order.

Now I, am not a twin engine guy, but the props should be counterrotating. I would assume this is done in the drives, but not sure. Someone else will know more.

Bob

biggiefl
02-08-2013, 10:40 AM
If you buy it I am just south of you on the Manatee river. I am at Beercan(Longboat pass) beach just about every weekend. Look into our ditch run in early May as well. Bravo 1's mated to regular MPI's make for a very reliable setup with gobs of torque. I would rather have reliability than an extra 4mph.

Ghost
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Ditto that. I had Volvo's equivalent--had huge torque and just ran flawlessly all the time. I bet it would have run for thousands of hours without a hiccup.

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
i'm now very confused with the engine setup, should i pass due to bravo 1's even though everyone says theyre more reliable. do i have the regular mpi's or the magnums. i know the duoprop dries really are great. but the bravo' 3s in the vintage had corrision issues.

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
i'm now very confused with the engine setup, should i pass due to bravo 1's even though everyone says theyre more reliable. do i have the regular mpi's or the magnums. i know the duoprop dries really are great. but the bravo' 3s in the vintage had corrision issues.

If this website would allow my posts without review, you would have your answer. To clarify, I answered your questions in detail but my post is lost in space and I am not rewriting it.

Buy it and don't worry about it. You have 454 Mag MPIs with Bravo I's. Won't get much better than that. Very reliable and durable.

B

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
tidbart, do i def have magnums? can you email me at skiordie53 @ aol . com with your honest opinions

VetteLT193
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
tidbart, do i def have magnums? can you email me at skiordie53 @ aol . com with your honest opinions

No, they aren't magnums. The Blue one in St. Pete definitely has the 7.4 MPI (different intake) and Bravo 1 drives. I'd buy that boat in a second assuming the personal inspection came out good and it has a good maintenance history. Super reliable engine and drive package. The boat looks very nice and the price is right. It does appear to need a few odds and ends (shifter pod is peeling which is pretty common, surface rust on the engines, etc.) but it doesn't look to need anything major... I call the fixes it needs 'fun fixes' because they aren't hard and have a cosmetic appeal when you are done.

It also has a nice classy paint scheme that shouldn't get dated.

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Definitely.

Email sent.

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Bobby,

The serial numbers say they are 454 Mag MPIs. The survey state 454 Mag MPIs and Bam Marine says they are. See http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=454+MAG%2E+MPI+BRAVO +%28GEN+VI%29+GM+454+V%2D8

How can you say they aren't? Also, unless I have missed something and we are referring to different boats.

B

Hope all is well!

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Bob,

I just saw your link to Boats.net. It appears we have multiple sources saying two different things for the same serial number. Wow.

I may have stand corrected. I guess the only way to know is to see the a photo of the engine(s) in question and go from there.

The intakes will give it away immediately.

Now I get the confusion.:rlol:

VetteLT193
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Bob,

I just saw your link to Boats.net. It appears we have multiple sources saying two different things for the same serial number. Wow.

I may have stand corrected. I guess the only way to know is to see the a photo of the engine(s) in question and go from there.

The intakes will give it away immediately.

Now I get the confusion.:rlol:

The merc serials overlap so you can find a 454 mag and a 7.4 mpi that have serial numbers in the same ranges (why they do this, I have no idea). If you check the 7.4 mpi on that same site you listed you'll see this boat's serial numbers also fit in that range. I think the serials will also fit the entire Big Block range for a given year so 502's will also have serials that may fit in the range.

I *think* this is the boat:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Donzi-3250LXC-101802204

Ghost
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Don't engines have model #s as well as serial #s? The model numbers should sort it out no matter what, right?

BUIZILLA
02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
the ad says BIII's with a 330hp?

wacky stuff right there, both are wrong

a pic of the intake and throttle body/spark arrestor will seal the deal

even with the serial number succession confusion on the websites, if you look up a SPECIFIC serial number it will show what it REALLY is

Tidbart
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I would agree. Non-Mag
Good looking boat.

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
this engine thing is really confusing, I knwo it def has the bravo 1's. i have a deposit on the boat and a survey scheduled for 2/21 hopefully everything will pass. I do love the color scheme, and figured i can have the shifter plate powder coated or something.

VetteLT193
02-08-2013, 03:03 PM
this engine thing is really confusing, I knwo it def has the bravo 1's. i have a deposit on the boat and a survey scheduled for 2/21 hopefully everything will pass. I do love the color scheme, and figured i can have the shifter plate powder coated or something.

Assuming it is the one I posted a link to and the serial numbers on the report are correct, it is 7.4 MPI. They are not Magnums. That wouldn't scare me off one bit, they are a great cruiser engine.

This has been made more confusing than it needs to be. Merc makes it simple, just read the top of the engine and that's what it is. The Mag series engines will literally have the word Magnum on them.

454 Mag MPI: 74558

7.4 MPI: 74559

Donzi3250LXC
02-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Vettelt1 that is the boat. None of this makes sense

Donzi3250LXC
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
survey is scheduled for next thurs. using capt Leiner anyone familiar with his work?

Donzi3250LXC
02-23-2013, 07:41 AM
had survey done, and seller is willing to take care of most of the mechanical stuff. It is missing the front berth door, one of the side donzi emblems, and the piece that covers the cabin sink. any idea how i may be able to obtain some of this?

VetteLT193
02-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Check with donzijosh @ donzidirect .com

Donzi3250LXC
02-24-2013, 12:13 PM
thansk i checked the website but will definetly email him.

Donzi3250LXC
03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
he had the side decals, door seems very tough anyone know of a donzi salvager that may have a used one?

Morgan's Cloud
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
You may never find a new/exact replacement , and if It was me I'd not waste any more time looking .
Buying a used/older boat often involves a bit of creativity when wanting to replace missing stuff as nowadays the company that built the boat is often no longer in business.
Search out a good local craftsman who's well versed in working with wood/lexan/starboard ,etc and you'll probably be able to fab something better than the original.

Take that from someone who not too long ago bought a bare 25' 38 year old hull and deck and had to , from scratch , make all new upholstery . all woodwork including a cabin door, windscreen , fuel tank , rails , wiring and a lotta other stuff.
If I was running around trying to find original stuff the boat would be still upside down and 10 years away from any progress.

Donzi3250LXC
03-03-2013, 06:52 PM
i'll have to look around as well for that. finding something bolt in of course is easiest

Donzi3250LXC
03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
boat was delivered up to NY yesterday morning, now the fun stuff can begin.

Ghost
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Congrats on the new baby. (That's a big baby. :) ) -Mike

Donzi3250LXC
03-24-2013, 11:04 AM
thanks, yes much bigger then my 25 chris craft it replaces. it's going to take some getting used to.

Donzi3250LXC
04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
My mechanics have gone through the boat and found thousands upon thousands of dollars in items surveyor missed. None thing is silent choice was wire tied shut. I'm told silent choice is reason water was getting into engine and they suggest capping and changing risers and manifold, thoughts?

Morgan's Cloud
04-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Sounds like you need to determine where the waterline at rest is in relation to the height of the risers .

Donzi3250LXC
04-16-2013, 08:48 AM
This is the factory setup. Supposedlynmercruiser recommends this as well

Ghost
04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
How much room do you have to play with? Depending on how old things are and what shape they are in, might want to bite the bullet and nuke it from orbit. Buy some Stainless Marine manifolds and custom, longer risers. Just a thought, and an expensive one. But you'd never have to sweat it again if you did it right. And if you're due for manifolds and risers anyway, now's the least imperfect time.

Morgan's Cloud
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
This is the factory setup. Supposedlynmercruiser recommends this as well

Can you tell , or do you know , if there's extensions between the manifold and riser ?

I would imagine on a boat that size that there should be .

Don't get me started on Merc and what they say , please .. :D

Donzi3250LXC
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
There are definitely no extensions, but it is aftermarket manifolds so there could've been at some point I'm not sure