PDA

View Full Version : Goop .............

gcarter
01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Rick Bagwell's (Silverstreak) Critter has a Bulldog (540") raw water cooled and a Dart high rise manifold. He's not really run it in the last 18 months, mainly because it was in Sarasota, and Rick was in The Villages.
The last times he ran it, it was intermittently overheating. He brought it over to my shop last weekend and pulled off the CMI headers. This weekend, he pulled the raw water pump, most of the hoses, and flushed the the two coolers.
There wasn't much there. I suggested Rick pull the thermostat housing and check that the 'stat had the by-pass holes drilled in the flange. It didn't, so that may have been part of his problem. He looked down into the "stat cavity in the front of the manifold and noticed there was a large quantity (maybe half full) of a clear, gelatinous, water soluble, mess. I tend to think it's a bacteria type of slimy residue. Rick attempted to back-flush through the bypass. Pressure built up for a few seconds, and suddenly it broke free and blew slimy junk everywhere.
Question, has anyone else experienced something like this?

maddad
01-21-2013, 12:39 AM
George, when I took apart my 413sbc the water jackets in the heads near the alum. intake had a lot of this snotty looking yuck in them. It didn't have enough to clog anything up but was only three years/250hrs old. Raw water cooled with a crossover, salt water use.

BUIZILLA
01-21-2013, 06:23 AM
did he use dishwashing soap or salt-a-way when flushing?

gcarter
01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Jim, I don't think he used anything. I believe he had it in salt water once, during the last Sarasota get together.

gcarter
01-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Maddad, yes, that's the stuff.
I suspect it's a bacteria that feeds on the electrolysis of iron and aluminum, but what do I know?

mattyboy
01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
It's called
ThatzyIdontboteinsalticus

I had a ton of it on the hornet it was dried out it was hard and crusty