PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic questions, restore ?

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
I swore I'd never buy another boat again but my sister gave me the tender from their yacht and we are having a blast with it. Its a 15' RIB with a 90hp. I am thinking of buying a 22 Classic. Its one of the few boats that appeal to me and fit in my indoor storage. I do have a couple of questions though.

I plan on using the boat in the bay with my wife and kids. All we like to do is go hang out at the sandbar and then go to waterside restaurants. I am not a speed demon. How does the 22 ride in a light to moderate chop? The RIB rides suprisingly wheel in those conditions, cruising at 25mph. Do you think a 22 could cruise in those conditions at 35mph? How many gallons per hour do you think it will use cruising at 35-40mph? How hard is it to board the boat after a swim?

I have found a 22 classic that need a complete restoration. When I saw the boat last year it was running very well but needed a paint job. the interior was almost perfect and it was sored indoors. The owner pulled the motor/outdrive and sold them. He is now selling the boat with no motor for $5000.

My friend quoted me $8000 to repaint the entire boat and replace the transom. He also said that he can probably find someone to install a motor/outdrive for $7500.

Am I better off buying a decent running boat with original gelcoat for around $22K or spending that much or more and have everything fresh? Are painted boats worth less even if done right?

gcarter
01-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Buy the best one you can, and probably as new as possible.
These things can get expensive in a hurry.

BUIZILLA
01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
a RIB with a 90 has to haul ass.... :eek: :worthy:

RockyS18
01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
How does the 22 ride in a light to moderate chop? The RIB rides suprisingly wheel in those conditions, cruising at 25mph. Do you think a 22 could cruise in those conditions at 35mph? How many gallons per hour do you think it will use cruising at 35-40mph? How hard is it to board the boat after a swim?

The 22 rides like a charm in light to moderate chop. Yes, it can cruise in those conditions at 35mph. I'm not sure about the gph, but we'll probably need to know about the powertrain to make good estimate. Boarding the boat is easy as long as you are careful. You have to climb up the drive in order to get in the boat, so you have to be careful about not slipping off and hitting the prop. If safety is a concern you can always get a collapsible ladder to throw over the side of the boat when swimming. Lakeside Restorations sells a nice one.

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 11:21 AM
a RIB with a 90 has to haul ass.... :eek: :worthy:

By myself it hits 45-47 on the GPS. It's very nice, center console, radio and GPS chart plotter.

Ghost
01-19-2013, 11:33 AM
I swore I'd never buy another boat again but my sister gave me the tender from their yacht and we are having a blast with it. Its a 15' RIB with a 90hp. I am thinking of buying a 22 Classic. Its one of the few boats that appeal to me and fit in my indoor storage. I do have a couple of questions though.

I plan on using the boat in the bay with my wife and kids. All we like to do is go hang out at the sandbar and then go to waterside restaurants. I am not a speed demon. How does the 22 ride in a light to moderate chop? The RIB rides suprisingly wheel in those conditions, cruising at 25mph. Do you think a 22 could cruise in those conditions at 35mph? How many gallons per hour do you think it will use cruising at 35-40mph? How hard is it to board the boat after a swim?

I have found a 22 classic that need a complete restoration. When I saw the boat last year it was running very well but needed a paint job. the interior was almost perfect and it was sored indoors. The owner pulled the motor/outdrive and sold them. He is now selling the boat with no motor for $5000.

My friend quoted me $8000 to repaint the entire boat and replace the transom. He also said that he can probably find someone to install a motor/outdrive for $7500.

Am I better off buying a decent running boat with original gelcoat for around $22K or spending that much or more and have everything fresh? Are painted boats worth less even if done right?

My sense is you can buy more than you can build with the same money. Your 22k project will take time, has uncertainty, and could easily turn into 25-30k. If you start shopping with a 25k budget, I'd think you do VERY well. FWIW. So unless you have a huge interest in a particular boat, or unusual plans for what you want to do with it...

And I'd think you can find excellent original gel in that price range. Best of luck with your looking. -Mike

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
My sense is you can buy more than you can build with the same money. Your 22k project will take time, has uncertainty, and could easily turn into 25-30k. If you start shopping with a 25k budget, I'd think you do VERY well. FWIW. So unless you have a huge interest in a particular boat, or unusual plans for what you want to do with it...

And I'd think you can find excellent original gel in that price range.

I think you are right.

Carl C
01-19-2013, 12:07 PM
I think you are right.

He IS right!

Offset
01-19-2013, 02:06 PM
I will save you lots of work and let you enjoy boating this coming season. I will sell my 1994 22 for a $1000.00 a foot and store it for you inside until the spring. :thumbsup:

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Jeez but arent you in Canada?

Offset
01-19-2013, 04:43 PM
The boat came from a US owner on the west coast, I am sure it would be just as happy to go south to a warmer climate. I will sweeten the deal and throw in the completely rebuilt Loadmaster Trailer for free! ;)

mario
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a 22 black hawk i want to sell. Eng is out off it right now low hr boat alm bunk trailer
will sell for 15000.00 with eng out and needing new exh sys and few other things
or 18000.00 up and running boat is in md let me know if you might like more info

mario

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
If you guys could please send pics to infanterene@yahoo.com. The Blackhawk drive is something I need research but it looks very interesting.

oledawg
01-20-2013, 02:34 AM
I agree with ghost.

biggiefl
01-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Where are you located?

I am on Tampa bay and the 22 rides like a Caddy in light chop, even 3' it is still darn good. Bigger than that it it takes some skill to not have to go see a chiropractor...but any 22' boat in 4-5' chop will beat you to death. My 454 at 36-38mph cruise at about 2900rpms burns 10-11gph and get 3.5+mpg. To put it in perspective my 115 Suzuki 4 stroke at 26mph cruise got 5+mpg, 3.5 with 454CID is amazing. Boarding is tough for us adults but a ladder or swim platform will make it a breeze. Lastly...skip the project and buy what you can afford, have it surveyed or looked over by a Mercruiser mechanic, etc. Try and stay with original gel, it shows that there was never any damage, etc. $22k will get you a VERY nice 22. You will probably find one cheaper and have enough $$ to fix some small things or add a few extras, etc. Unless you see a receipt showing the date, replace the exhaust immediately or at least have it removed & looked at for corrosion or leaks. Exhaust maintenance, or lack of, is the #1 reason for engine failure and is easy to maintain.

Infanterene
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I generally try to pic nice days. I don't want to get cought I 4' chop.

It sounds like it runs similar to my old cobalt which I enjoyed very much.

Infanterene
01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
I generally try to pic nice days. I don't want to get cought I 4' chop.

It sounds like it runs similar to my old cobalt which I enjoyed very much. I am in Miami by the way do I would be cruising inside biscayne bay. Although I did take my cobalt to Bimini twice