PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic questions

Infanterene
01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I swore I'd never buy another boat again but my sister gave me the tender from their yacht and we are having a blast with it. Its a 15' RIB with a 90hp. I am thinking of buying a 22 Classic. Its one of the few boats that appeal to me and fit in my indoor storage. I do have a couple of questions though.

I plan on using the boat in the bay with my wife and kids. All we like to do is go hang out at the sandbar and then go to waterside restaurants. I am not a speed demon. How does the 22 ride in a light to moderate chop? The RIB rides suprisingly wheel in those conditions, cruising at 25mph. Do you think a 22 could cruise in those conditions at 35mph? How many gallons per hour do you think it will use cruising at 35-40mph? How hard is it to get back in the boat after a swim?

I have found a 22 classic that need a complete restoration. When I saw the boat last year it was running very well but needed a paint job. the interior was almost perfect and it was sored indoors. The owner pulled the motor/outdrive and sold them. He is now selling the boat with no motor for $5000.

My friend quoted me $8000 to repaint the entire boat and replace the transom. He also said that he can probably find someone to install a motor/outdrive for $7500.

Am I better off buying a decent running boat with original gelcoat for around $22K or spending that much or more and have everything fresh? I am concerned that the paint wont look as nice as gelcoat. I want the boat to look original.

oledawg
01-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Nope, for what you want to do there are a lot of other options out there. I love my C22 but it is a "go fast" boat, not really a family, sandbar, cruiser.

Pismo
01-20-2013, 06:42 AM
You need a 22 Chris Craft bow rider, made for the beach and family.

Infanterene
01-20-2013, 09:34 AM
I dont know why my post got split into two threads.

The only other boat that I like is the Criss Craft Launch, but they too expensive. I havent seen one for less than $55K. I actually preffer the launch.

Infanterene
01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Actually the door to my warehouse is only 9 feet wide. I dont think the Chriss Craft would fit comfortably.

gcarter
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
LOL, they make 12' wide doors for warehouses.......;)

Infanterene
01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Actually I just changed it from an 7.5 to a 9 in order to get my 1976 Eldorado inside. I couldn't go wider because of way the structure is made. Now I'm selling the land yacht to get a boat.

woobs
01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I dont know why my post got split into two threads.

The only other boat that I like is the Criss Craft Launch, but they too expensive. I havent seen one for less than $55K. I actually preffer the launch.

I love the Chris'... but, besides the Launch (which is available in a couple of lengths) there is the Lancer series, and the speedster. All nice boats.
I saw a 2006 20' Speedster for 29,000. (not a bow rider though).

Cobalt makes some nice bow riders...

Infanterene
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
I had a Cobalt 23 with and duo prop. I loved that boat. It was pretty fast at 62mph on a good day, rode very dry and quiet.

That is the only boat I ever missed.

biggiefl
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I disagree with the above statements. I mainly cruise to sandbars and hang out. I also go to bars & restaurants with mine. It is great for those things. Where it is not so great is getting up on high docks, having to walk on the deck(slippery when waxed), and having any more items in the boats besides a small cooler and a couple of noodles. Aint much room for storage in these puppies and definately no head or shower, etc. You can NEVER fish, dance, bring more than 3 people, etc on it. What you see is what you get...besides a boatload of compliments. Definately the sexiest boat EVER made.

woobs
01-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Here's a Chris Craft Launch in NJ for auction.... Cheap.
Needs some elbow grease. (probably a victim of Sandy)
http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/27337882/COPART_2006_CHRIS_CRAFT_CRAFT_LAUN_CERTIFICATE_OF_ TITLE_SOMERVILLE_NJ/

Planetwarmer
01-25-2013, 12:42 AM
I use my 22C exactly as you described. I cruise at 35-40 most of the time. The hull really handles medium chop like a champ! We have 5 people on the boat almost every time we go out. I personally love the boat for doing exactly what you described you wanted it for. Every time we pull up to a restaurant or marina everyone looks. I always have people trying to buy my 22C off of me. After we pull the boat up on the beach, the closed deck makes a great platform for sitting or laying, keeping your (soft!!!) ice chest clean and sand free, etc...

I seriously doubt that everyone else with a donzi 22C runs at full throttle a majority of the time. If you feel froggy and want to run fast, the boat will do it. If you just want to cruise to dinner with a couple friends or family members, the 22C will do that equally well.

As for fuel usage, the 22C actually is fairly thrifty. They are relatively light and have a narrow profile. A big block boat will use wore fuel than a small block powered boat. Depending on how you build your motor, it will either suck the gas down or be fairly thrifty. If you mate a fuel injected smallblock with ~300 - 350 hp to an Alpha 1 drive, you would have a nice cruiser. build a BBC with 500 hp mated to a Bravo XR your boat will suck the fuel and wallet dry more quickly.

I say go for it. Build a classy boat and if you dont like it you can probably get your money back out of it if you stay around 20K

Ghost
01-25-2013, 02:05 AM
I agree with pretty much everything said--comes down to how many need to be aboard and what you really want the experience to be. Having owned a Cobalt bowrider with a duoprop, as well as my Cig 24 (slightly larger than a 22C, but similar), the biggest difference is the Cobalt would handle 6-8 adults where the 22C will be 4, 5 max. Otherwise, both are largely dayboats. One thing, if it's important to be able to stand underway as well as sit, I think the 22C is out.

Economy was slightly better in the Cobalt, but only slightly. I think with a stock fuel-injected big block in a 22C you will be just fine on gas (at 35-40 I think you'd be somewhere between 3 and 3.7 mpg), depending on load and gearing/prop. In the ballpark of 12 gph maybe.

I think it will handle that sort of speed pretty well in moderate chop. I can cruise comfortably quite a bit faster in the same slop in my Cig than I could in my Cobalt, FWIW.

Climbing the drive isn't bad for most. If anyone's heavily into watersports though, I recommend the Cobalt. I suppose skiing or tubing might be okay with the Donzi, but it won't like wakeboarding speeds where it's lost in no-man's-land between off-plane and on. Maybe with a duoprop and the right pitch it'd be okay to hold speed well, but that still feels like a stretch. Plus the wake itself is not so hot, in my experience.

miike
01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
You can use a 22 Classic to run to the sand bar and back, but it will be much less comfortable than many other boats. Donzi classic cockpits are very small compared to other boats. Get a bowrider with some cupholders if you want to cruise around the bay. A Donzi classic is as functional as a Ferrari. It will get you from here to there but what you are looking for is a minivan. Try to settle somewhere in between, there is no space compromise in a classic.

Infanterene
01-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Minivan :( hell no. I have lots of impractical things in my life that I absolutely love and enjoy. Like a 63 Corvette, 74 Alfa Spider, 76 Eldorado convertible, motorcycles etc.

I appreciate classic designs, I appreciate the journey and some times I just enjoy looking at something beautifully. I like to have things that make you look back as you are walking away.

Of course I understand that a bow rider, might be more practical but when I go out on the water it is strictly for pleasure. Like going out for ice cream in a classic car.

I have a practical daily car, I don't want that in a boat.

biggiefl
01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Then buy one...I did. Having owned a vette for 23 years I know where you are coming from. It actually works out for me a bunch of times when people ask you to go out in the boat and you say...sorry I only have room for 2 people with my wife and I aboard.

Infanterene
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Im waiting for pics of a Minx Testarossa with the stainless windshield. Its not a 22 classic but its pretty close.

The project 22 that was local has been sold. I kind of regret not buying it and completely redoing the boat my way. Oh well everything happens for a reason, it would have probably been a head ache.

gcarter
01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I think you'd enjoy a Minx. It's a great cruiser. They're dry, and very comfortable, have cupholders, and look good.
W/the raised stern/engine hatch, they're particularly hard to climb into.
They aren't as potentially fast. A good one will run about 65 on a good day. Of course they are SBC/Alpha powered, but I think a larger SBC w/400+ HP would see 70.
I also think a TR w/the stainless windshield is particularly stunning. There're lots of weak areas w/any 80's Donzi. A few are good, many aren't.

Here's a picture of my old Minx I sold in '07.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

Planetwarmer
02-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Minivan :( hell no. I have lots of impractical things in my life that I absolutely love and enjoy. Like a 63 Corvette, 74 Alfa Spider, 76 Eldorado convertible, motorcycles etc.

I appreciate classic designs, I appreciate the journey and some times I just enjoy looking at something beautifully. I like to have things that make you look back as you are walking away.

Of course I understand that a bow rider, might be more practical but when I go out on the water it is strictly for pleasure. Like going out for ice cream in a classic car.

I have a practical daily car, I don't want that in a boat.

I dont think Jesus himself could have said that any better!!

Infanterene
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I dont think Jesus himself could have said that any better!!

I was inspired lol

harbormaster
02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
The 22 classic handles rough water really comfortably because of the deep v. I personally would buy a 22 ready to go. building it is fun but can be a real pain in the ass. Its a nice cruise with 4 people and an ice chest at 50mph. it has much more style than a bow rider. it will take rough water better than most bow riders in its class.