PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Trip 3 Okochobee Waterway 2013

Tidbart
01-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Ok, here we go again. I am starting this thread to gauge interest in a trip for this year. I haven't settled on dates yet, but I am looking at late April, into May. I have a call into Pirate's Cove and need to get back with them next week in order to find out which weekends look good for us as far as open dock space. I will keep you posted.

For those not familiar with the trip, we leave from Fort Myers on day one, cross the OWW to Stuart. Stay the night, have dinner and a party, head back the next day. The trip is about 212.3 miles round trip and is one of the most diverse runs we have ever done.

Here is the link to 2010 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?61582-2010-Lake-Okeechobee-Waterway-Run-Ditch-Trip-2&highlight=franklin+lock

and some info from 2008 http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?52440-Ditch-trip-1st-report

We won't linger on the 2008 trip as it was a bit of a nightmare for me and the boat, but it was a hell of a party. :bawling:

Anyways, start thinking about it give some feedback.

Bob

hdsadey
01-20-2013, 12:25 PM
I will run this year if the dates don't interfere with Leesburg bikefest which is April 26-28.

Tidbart
01-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I will run this year if the dates don't interfere with Leesburg bikefest which is April 26-28.

I will keep that in mind.

Bob

hdsadey
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
any idea how much the weekend will cost? Fuel food lodging?

smokediver
01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Hey Bob , what about staying over at Roland Martins ? the bar looked kind of cool and we could avoid a lake crossing . Just as an idea . I hope to have my boat together by then !!

Tidbart
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
any idea how much the weekend will cost? Fuel food lodging?

Alot will depend on the variables. If we go the whole route, I will use a less than 2 tanks. Rooms will be $100-$130/nt. Food is what you eat. Dockage could be $1.50/ft.

I will get more info as soon as I can.

B

Tidbart
01-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Hey Bob , what about staying over at Roland Martins ? the bar looked kind of cool and we could avoid a lake crossing . Just as an idea . I hope to have my boat together by then !!

John, I will contact them also and see what we can come up with. It is on the table though.

Now get back to work on that boat. :biggrin:

B

Tidbart
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
I have been kind of busy lately and need to get back on this.

I posted this reply to Buizilla on the DMRS site. Let me know what you think.

Bob

A couple of years ago, we stopped at RMs for lunch on the way back to Fort Myers. The restaraunt/bar was great. Big outdoor venue with plenty of seating and a great atmosphere. The food was fabulous. They had a catfish plate that was delicious, and I hate catfish.

There was plenty of dockspace and fuel available. The ground were well kept and I am sure the rooms would be similarly kept. This was much better than some of the fish camps that have been visited in the past.

For these reasons, Smoke and I have been kicking around the idea of staying there and not going all the way to Stuart. Maybe with the economy in mind and the decreased expenses, it is worth a shot.

If we come from Fort Myers, there will be no need to cross the lake, so the water conditions will have little bearing. We can go out on the lake if the conditions warrant, if not we can ride the south route.

Just some thoughts. Input appreciated.

B

hdsadey
01-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Every now and again we ride the scooters down to RM in Clewiston. Its a nice place. Thats gotta b a good half days run from Ft. Myers after all the locks and such. I'd b up for that. The lake was at New Years when we were out in the airboat.

fegettes
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure how interested I will be, since I am in Stuart, will wait to see what you have planned.

Steve

Tidbart
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure how interested I will be, since I am in Stuart, will wait to see what you have planned.

Steve

Steve,

Briefly, although Jim's idea is a good one, I am not sure that a lot of budgets will accommodate the trip. From what I saw, the rooms on Captiva are about $230/nt and up, + tax and dockage. That could be around $280+ for the one night stay. Kind of steep when you add in a night at RMs for $88 + tax, plus fuel, food, expenses.

Anyways, if that option is out, and I am not saying it is, we have 2 popular options. FM to Stuart and back the next day. Rooms around $120+ dockage, etc.

Or, FM to RMs, stay the night, and return the next day. Rooms around $88++, short docks are $8/nt, supposedly up to 21'.

Now, if we do FM to RMs, we can also try to have a second contingency come from Stuart to RMs and meet up there.

My leaning is toward RMs due to expenses and such. We will see what happens.

Bob

biggiefl
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I am definately in for the FM to RM run. I am not interested in going to Stuart & back. I love boating but not THAT much boating and getting a trailer to Stuart would be a PITA. I have boated in Stuart many times with the Marine Max Whaler rendezvous and would prefer something different for that kind of expense. I think 2 groups is a great idea Bob, One from Stuart, 1 from FM and meet in the middle so to speak. I assume you know of a place in FM that we can store our trucks/trailers safely? Most ramps do not allow overnight parking nor do I want to come home to no ride the next day :eek:

PS...if you need a place to crash Bob...I am about midway from you to FM.

PSS...I think we finally found the leak. Looks like the lower hoses to the Y-pipe were the culprit. One internal flapper was bent so water could not be fully stopped coming back in. This caused the y-pipe to corrode and hence why such a small leak and why it only took in like 3 gallons then stopped. Will find out soon if we are right.

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Just for those who have never been there, here are some shots of RMs, from Google

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
There are spots to leave vehicles overnight on both ends of the OWW. WP Franklin Lock in the West and St Lucie Lock in the east provide overnight parking for these type of events, $3/nt.

Nick, glad you found your leak, hopefully.:crossfing: And, thanks on the offer. We will see what happens.

B

biggiefl
01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Make it happen...I have beer to drink!

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 01:28 PM
Here are the interested parties, so far.

Me, Bob, E or W
Buizilla, Jim E or W
BiggieFL, Nick, W
Budman, Budman, W
Fegettes, Steve, E
Smokediver, John, W
Hdsadey, Daniel, W

Maybe we can get some more??????????
NaplesDonzi, Mark, W
Jamesbon, Nate, W

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Right now, I am looking at May 4-5th, Sat-Sun. Need some feedback.

RMs has no big tournaments on their calendar, so right now, there are lots of rooms. If we can lock down a date, I can try and get a better room rate for us. Right now they are $88 + tax = $96.80

Also, if we can do an East and West group thing, I would like to see at least 3 boats from the East. That way, if one boat drops out there will still be two that can run. A single boat run would suck if something ever broke.
The west group should have no problem with numbers.

Tidbart
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Some more info.

Distances:
WP Franklin Lock to Clewiston - 48.7 mi. with 4 locks (Franklin, Ortona, Moore Haven, Clewiston)

St. Lucie Lock to Clewiston Rt 1 -43 mi., Rt 2 -54 mi. with 2 locks (Port Mayaca, Clewiston)

BUIZILLA
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
St. Lucie Lock to Clewiston Rt 1 -43 mi., Rt 2 -54 mi. with 2 locks (Port Mayaca, Clewiston) :confused: :lookaroun:

Tidbart
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Jim and I spoke yesterday for a while and possibly came up with something different to consider, along the lines of his previous proposal.

Here it is. Friday night (optional), stay at RMs and leave Saturday morning and head west toward Ft Myers Beach. I say Friday is optional because you have the option of meeting the group along the way and starting the trip at WP Franklin Lock, where you can leave your truck and trailer.

Head over to FM Beach to a little place I found after hours of trying to find an affordable place with docks.

Here is there website: http://www.shipwreckmotel.com/

This place is located on a small cove awy from wakes, has 2 pools, bars and restaraunts within walking distance, rooms $70-90, with dockage included.

This place has boating group written all over it.

FYI One way trip from RMs to FMB is about 85 miles. WP Franklin to FMB is about 35 miles one way.

This is something to think about as you get pick you level of participation and expenses, and can be a very affordable get-together.

Feedback please!!! :boggled::biggrin:

biggiefl
02-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Not exactly a ditch run but sounds good. I would have no problem doing that or having the 2 groups on each side meet at RM's like planned. I "think" FMB will be more lively than RM's but I have never been to RM's. Is the run from WP to FMB a LOT of slow speed zones or pretty open? Are there any locks between WP & FMB? I have never been through a lock before.

Tidbart
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Nick,

There are 3 locks between RMs and FMB, provided the lock in Clewiston is open. The locks are easy to get through and only one, Ortona, has a hefty drop. Drops depend on the water level which is up from the past couple of times we went through.

This itinierary will not cross the lake, which can be a blessing depending on the weather. One time, the lake was like glass, the next time we got our asses handed to us.

As far as the ride, the Coloosahatchee is a nicer run than the St Lucie Canal. Either is wide open run, pretty much. I think I remember one no wake zone near Labelle.

RMs is ok for a group as there is not much else to do around it. It is Clewiston.
FMB does have a lot more to offer as far as amenities, bars, restaraunts, clubs, stores, etc.

biggiefl
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok so what is the plan? I am going to drop in at WP I guess and go to FMB. I don't thiink I will do the friday thing. What is the date? Cinco da mayo might not be the best weekend.

Tidbart
02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Plans not set yet. I would still like some others, who are interested in attending, to chime in, one way or the other.:eek:

biggiefl
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Wazzup people....chime in already! We got boating to do!

Tidbart
02-06-2013, 01:49 PM
And, what is wrong with Cinco? :eek::sombrero:

fegettes
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM
The ditch trip is all new to me, would sort of like to see some of the lake, but may not be too much to see. I'm going to let you set up the details, and then I will plan accordingly.

Steve

biggiefl
02-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Nothing wrong with Cinco...just might be harder to find a cheap hotel room:propeller:

Tidbart
02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Steve,

We will see what pans out. One of the reasons for not going across the lake is that is fairly shallow and can get pretty rough sometimes, hit or miss. One year we went across it was like glass, one year we got beat up pretty badly.

Nick,

If we do the FMB itinerary, I already checked the rates. There is no boost for that weekend. If there was a boost for a Mexican holiday, I would tell me where to go.

B

biggiefl
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Sorry Bob...I was joking with you.

Budmann
03-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Cabbage Key!!!!! Place is a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

Either way, we are in for anywhere you guys decide!!!

Tidbart
03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
OK, so here is the plan.

This trip is going to be a west-end trip. Due to a bunch of factors, we won't do the cross Florida trip this year.

Plan is to leave from WP Franklin lock on Friday, May 3rd at around noon. Head west for a two night stay at the Shipwreck Motel at Fort Myers Beach. Leave on Sunday, May 5th.
Overnight parking for vehicles and trailers at the Lock is a donation. Lock area is attended and pretty secure and we have left vehicles there in the past without incident.

The in-between details will be worked out later, lunches, dinners, side-trips, etc.

The nice thing about this trip is that it is a flexible. A noon departure will allow time for travel on Friday, from most places. The trip from WPF to FMB is about 35 miles. Easily doable in any size boat, and it won't take all day. If for some reason, you can't make it until late Friday or Saturday, for instance, we can easily head back up river to meet you and your group.

Hotel: Listen up! Reserve your room now. Call the Shipwreck Motel at: (239) 463-4691, hit button for reservations and ask for Tia. Tell her you are with the Donzi Group and want a room for the 3-5th, if those are the nights you can make it. In an effort to keep the group together, I have asked for rooms around the rectangular pool in back of Zushi. They are all efficiencies, @ $79.95/nt. =tax. There are other rooms available, some more and some less money, if need be. Also, the rate includes dockage. :yes::biggrin.::boat:. That's right, no extra fee.

I could not block rooms, so call asap and secure a room.

Questions? Just ask.

Bob

BUIZILLA
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
room and slip booked... :lookaroun:

biggiefl
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Most likely only one night. Would I be better off coming up friday and leaving sat alone or coming up sat and heading back with the group on sun? I don't mind doing the run alone one way or is anyone else thinking of meeting at ramp say 10 or 11am on Sat and head west with me? What is the agenda for Sat day? Is Fri or Sat night going to be the rowdy night is a better question. The rowdier the better. I will call and reserve both nights now and cancel one when I make a decision.

biggiefl
03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm reserved for Fri & Sat and wife said she wants to go for BOTH nights...yippee! If for some reason it is rough, can my wife catch a ride on a larger boat...say a 28 ZXO by any chance ;)

MAKE SURE you tell Tia you NEED a boat slip. Comes to like $88/night w/slip & tax, not a bad deal there Bob. No pets in case anyone is wondering and I think nobody under 21....is there something we should know about this? :eek:

Budmann
03-09-2013, 09:32 AM
ROOM BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CAN'T WAIT! IF YOU LIVE IN FLORIDA YOU BETTER COME!:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::ye s::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

biggiefl
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Look forward to seeing you again Bud. Anyone else besides Bart, Jim, Bud, myself and our women? Where are all the Floridians at? Are you bringing the 16 Jim?

FYI...Homosassa Whaler run @ MacRaes on 4/5-7th. Don't you have a place up there Bud?

Jeremy E
03-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey Guys I just bought my first classic Donzi 18. I hope I can make this I'm going to try and switch some work things around.Does any one plan on leaving Saturday at some point?

Tidbart I sent you a Pm

Tidbart
03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Jeremy,

Welcome aboard. Of course you can join in the fun. We are always looking for some newbies to join in on any event.

Congrats on the 18 purchase, one hell of a boat.:thumbsup:

Others will post their launch intentions. We will see what happens.

I sent you a reply to your pm.

Bob

biggiefl
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I was going to do the Saturday thing but wife took off Friday so I am going with the gang. Do what you can to move your schedule, life is too short not to enjoy your Donzi. Plus your wallet & liver will hate you for it. The last 2 rendezvous were within 1/2 hour of my house so I day tripped them both. I am looking forward to the stumble back to my room this year.:drunk:

Jeremy E
03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I got my schedule worked out it looks like my wife and I are going to join! I'm going to book my room in the morning. Do you guys do alot of trips like this? I have also attached a photo of my boat that my wife took a few weeks ago in FT Lauderdale.

Tidbart
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
I got my schedule worked out it looks like my wife and I are going to join! I'm going to book my room in the morning. Do you guys do alot of trips like this? I have also attached a photo of my boat that my wife took a few weeks ago in FT Lauderdale.

Great. BTW, the plan is to leave WPF lock around noon on Friday.

As far as trips go, we occasionally do informal trips. No set location nor destination. Some events are more set in stone and have been going on for years. NH, NY, KY et al, come to mind. The economy has taken its toll over the years. Keep an eye on the Events section for future events.

Also, photo didn't work for some reason.

Bob

hdsadey
03-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Well i was planning on going til this a.m. Popped my top bearing cap on the Alpha and I saw chunks. Upper gears started to come apart. So dont know what its gonna cost to fix. Hopefully it wont get too expensive and I can meet up with you guys on that Sunday.

Tidbart
03-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Plenty of time. :) Hope it is not much more than the gear set. They are pretty cheap and plentiful.

B

BUIZILLA
03-16-2013, 06:39 PM
DMRS has the HD upper gear sets in stock.... gaskets, bearings and seal kits too... ;)

hdsadey
03-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah I think Im gonna need someone smarter than me to set them up. Did it the first time and dont know if I caused the problem. Got less than 10 hours on them. Dont feel like wasting money for a second time.

biggiefl
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Just order an upper from SEI...3 year warranty. St Pete, FL

Still have my leak....I have time.

duckhunter
03-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Just order an upper from SEI...3 year warranty. St Pete, FL

Get the whole SEI drive for under $1500 with the warranty, bolt it on and go boating. If you already have metal in the upper it has probably migrated to the lower and gotten into the bearings. Just make sure you get the 10 hour break-in and fluid change done before the big run.

Then pick up the HD gearset and rebuild your current drive as a spare. Good winter of 13-14 project...

hdsadey
03-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeeeeeeah there in lies the problem. $1500 dont come easy for me. Took me 3 years to put this beast together. Scraped by at times to get parts. Thats why I did it myself the first go around. Bit me in the azz I guess.

duckhunter
03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
That's a tough one. There just aren't a lot of good AND inexpensive ways to fix a grenaded drive.

Getting a Merc tech to rebuild your old drive will be every bit of $1500, which is why I went the SEI route last year as much as I didn't want to spend the money. Exhaust is kind of the same deal, there just aren't any realistic band-aids - sometimes you just need to bite the bullet.

Best bet short of the SEI route might be to troll the forums and craigslist and find a good used Alpha. That route is obviously fraught with potential disaster, but is the least expensive in the short term.

Ghost
03-18-2013, 09:16 PM
I've got two fully-functional used alphas for cheap...

duckhunter
03-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I've got two fully-functional used alphas for cheap...

:thumbsup: :beer:

Tidbart
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Ok Group,

Time to get serious. I month left to our weekend endeavor. If you haven't already, get your room booked and get that boat ready.:biggrin:

Any questions or if you need any help, just ask.

Bob

hdsadey
04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Just dropped off my outdrive to get an estimate on a repair. If feasible I may join up with you guys for the day, Saturday. Will see what it's gonna cost to fix.

Tidbart
04-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Hope it works out well for you.

Bob

biggiefl
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Motor is out, transom assembly out. Parts on the bench(transom seal and mercathode blockoff). Cleaning bildge this afternoon and reassembly time. She WILL be ready. Nobody has an excuse after what I am going through :embarasse. Nobody's bildge will be cleaner as well.

Tidbart
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Glad you found the problem, Nick. Should be a fairly simple fix. Hope it goes well. B

Jeremy E
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
My engine is also out of my boat! I got bad fuel that made the engine stall.So I went to turn it over to find the starter also never disengaged from the fly wheel and chewed a few of the teeth. I had the start rebuilt and new fly wheel put on. The kicker is now I'm traveling for work for the next three weeks! My bilge is also spotless. Even If tow boat us need to tow us the whole way I'm not missing this trip!

biggiefl
04-09-2013, 09:55 AM

biggiefl
04-09-2013, 12:18 PM

smokediver
04-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Room is booked. I am bring along Mark. Should be fun watching him and Budman !
There is a place called nervous nellies on the water close to the motel that we could walk to for dinner drinks debauchery. I might put in down here in naples and meet you all at the motel. Looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend. Maybe Saturday lunch we can go up to cabbage key. Not sure of the itenerary.

biggiefl
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Motor should be back in tonight. If I have any $$ left over I am still in :hangum:

BUIZILLA
04-11-2013, 11:17 AM
cabbage key is 100% firm... :cool:

Tidbart
04-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Great John. Will be good to see you and Mark.

Nick, Hope the install went well. You can do it!

B

biggiefl
04-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I did it....99% sure I will be there.....leak free. Expensive trip :biggrin.:

Jeremy E
04-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Is cabbage key a far run from the hotel?

Tidbart
04-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Is cabbage key a far run from the hotel?

No exactly sure of distance, maybe ten miles or so north.

Now I am, about 25 miles. :tooth:

biggiefl
04-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Picking her up today...bud hooked me up on labor. Gonna drop her in and double check but it was obvious what went wrong with the transom seal. Put on new trim ram caps and flushed & filled the system that looked like a vanilla shake(thick), not sure how the darn thing worked. New starter, new hoses/clamps, new oil & filter, etc. I am ready to rock & roll....hopefully.

Tidbart
04-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Nick,

How did the boat come out? Is she ready to roll?

B

biggiefl
04-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Should...had some weird stuff happen over the weekend so no time to get her wet but should before this weekend. What is the head count looking like? Anyone wanna come over and buff?

Tidbart
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Should...had some weird stuff happen over the weekend so no time to get her wet but should before this weekend. What is the head count looking like? Anyone wanna come over and buff?

My extention cords won't reach. :rlol:

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Here is what I have for boats:

Tidbart, Bob
Buizilla, Jim
BiggieFL, Nick
Budmann, Bud
Smokediver, John and naplesdonzi, Mark
Jeremy E, Jeremy

Not sure: Hdsadey, Daniel

Of course, the list does not include the others that will be in each boat.

The plan, at least for me, is to leave WP Franklin Lock at noon on Friday. I would like to know who will be joining me for the noon launch.

B

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 09:22 AM
On a side note, anybody else who can't bring their boat for whatever reason, is welcome to join us for some fun and revelry.

We will be around the Shipwreck at FMB, Friday evening and Saturday evening.

My cellphone is 321-436-five, seven, zero, four.

B

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
And one other thing, the weather will be perfect for boating. I got my order in early enough, so my request is granted. :D

BUIZILLA
04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Bob.... i'm probably going to launch/retrieve on the other side of the lock in fresh water, reasons being obvious.. ;)

fegettes
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Jim,

I would like to take advantage of that fresh water too. Do you have a location, or address, I can plug in to my GPS? And what time do you expect to launch?

Steve

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Jim,

A few years back, in inquired about the ramp. The ranger told me that launching there was not allowed. That ramp is for the campground customers only. :frown:

B

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Maybe the best way to take advantage of the fresh water is on Sunday. Run back through the lock and run around for a while to flush it out. Then back through the lock to the ramp. Water on the west side of the lock is probably brackish and you won't run too long to get to the ramp. Just a thought.

Glad you can make it Steve.

B

biggiefl
04-25-2013, 11:12 AM
I will be ther for noon launch. Not worried about fresh water as I never run it anyways. I live on brackish and that is not gonna help, salt is salt. Can anyone talk to the campground? Might be better to pay them to launch and store if possible. Something like $15-20 and I would trust it there more than a public ramp. If not no biggie for me....rinse and flush when I get home.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
i'm not thrilled with dunking the trailer and having it sit for 3 days salted and in the sun, then dunking it again and driving 200 miles home without the engine or trailer being cleaned... i'll pay whatever the campground wants for a fee to launch and store there if they allow it, Bob, please work on this, I don't care what it costs me.......

biggiefl
04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know the name of the campground? I would Google it but I don't even know where we are going yet. All I know is south around FMB but east. Would rather pay a bit than come back to a broken window or a missing trailer.

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Ok. I called the campground. They told me a different story than a couple years ago. There are no sites available, however, you can launch there for $3. You cannot leave your vehicle there overnight. This means you would have to park at the south lot. Issue would be getting the vehicles back south if you are alone.

B

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know the name of the campground? I would Google it but I don't even know where we are going yet. All I know is south around FMB but east. Would rather pay a bit than come back to a broken window or a missing trailer.

Nick,

The campground is WP Franklin. The north side is the campground. The south side is where we keep vehicles and trailers.
Both have ramps. North into fresh, south into whatever is there. I can't imagine the south side having too much salt being right at the dam, but who knows.

As you will see, if you launch at the campground, you will need to make arrangements to get your vehicle to the south side as you can't leave vehicles overnight at the campground. It is about 14 miles to get across the river via roadways.

In the past, we have left our vehicles at the south lot with no incidents. Anyone doing an overnight leaves their vehicle there. We are not the only ones.

B

BUIZILLA
04-25-2013, 06:11 PM
hose bibs at the south ramp maybe?

Tidbart
04-25-2013, 07:00 PM
hose bibs at the south ramp maybe?

No. I asked. There is a car wash a few miles west. I use it at the end of the weekend.
We can splash a little early and u can run it there.

biggiefl
04-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Whatever you friggin primadonnas.

Jeremy E
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Here is what I have for boats:

Tidbart, Bob
Buizilla, Jim
BiggieFL, Nick
Budmann, Bud
Smokediver, John and naplesdonzi, Mark
Jeremy E, Jeremy

Not sure: Hdsadey, Daniel

Of course, the list does not include the others that will be in each boat.

The plan, at least for me, is to leave WP Franklin Lock at noon on Friday. I would like to know who will be joining me for the noon launch.

B

I will be there at noon can you please post an adress for me where we are meeting.

Tidbart
04-30-2013, 07:40 AM
W.P. Franklin Lock Recreation Area (SOUTH)
16099 Old Olga Rd.
Alva, FL 33920

Just off SR-80.

Be sure to get there a little early to launch, get gear set, file a float plan with the ranger, and park. Not necessarily in that order.

biggiefl
04-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Bob....I am heading down Rt70 to Arcadia then hooking onto Rt31 which should dump me pretty close to Alva. Are you taking Rt17 south? Is anyone else heading that way that would like to rendezvous in Arcadia at say 9:45-10?

Tidbart
04-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Nick,

I will be heading 17 south to 31 south out of Arcadia. Can hook up somewhere in Arcadia Friday morn.

I will have to call you when I get on the road. Arrival there depends on what time I leave here.

B

biggiefl
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
I "plan" on getting to Arcadia at time above which gives me plenty of time to get to the ramp by 11ish. I figure leaving my place just before 9.

Jeremy E
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Friday is 70% chance of rain. Does any one have a extra full face helmet my wife can barrow?

Tidbart
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Friday is looking like 60% chance of rain due to scattered thunderstorms. They usually develop later in the day. My guess is we will be out of the boats long before the storms. :crossfing: Think sunshine. :yes:, but bring a towel anyways, and your cover, and beer. :biggrin: :beer:

B

fegettes
05-01-2013, 05:24 PM
And one other thing, the weather will be perfect for boating. I got my order in early enough, so my request is granted. :D

....ummm, Bob, you want to redo that request?

Tidbart
05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
....ummm, Bob, you want to redo that request?

Nope. You wait. Perfect weather on the way. :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
i'll hold ya to it.............................. :smash:

biggiefl
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Too late now. Only thing is I hope it stays away today so I can get her cleaned up. Been at the mechanics, etc and is a mess but has been raining all week. If not, dirty she is.

Jeremy E
05-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Are there bars along the river? Just In case we need to take a few shots and wait for the down pour to stop.

Tidbart
05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes :beer:

biggiefl
05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Literally just finished. Looks pretty good, not great as I did not do the bow. Oh well, will be leaving at 8:45ish. Anyone who wants to rendezvous....9415453838. Nick

Jeremy E
05-03-2013, 05:45 AM
561-414-9830 Jeremy

biggiefl
05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok...great trip.

Friday was awesome other than the love bugs. Everyone pretty much ran late but we still left before 1pm...not too shabby. I had to get jumped(battery) at the ramp by Capt'n Steve. Best run in a long time. 5 boats flying through all kinds of neighborhoods. Flawless ride to the hotel...34 miles?

Friday night.......Awesome dinner and cocktails before & after . I barely slept as I was up every hour checking everyone's dock lines as the tide went down drastically. I slept in my Crocs so I did not have to keep putting them back on. Felt lke hell sat morning. Not alcohol related either. ;)

Saturday went to start my boat and battery was DEAD! Everyone was ready to leave for lunch @ Cabbage Key so I junped on Capt'n Steve's boat and we set sail.......HOLY HELL!!! 25+ miles each way and was told it was "inside and kinda protected" Protected from WHAT???? Gators, Bernie Madoff?....obviously not protected from the wind. I have had smoother mechanical bull rides than that!!! Fun lunch and a much softer ride home in the following sea and a wonderfull T-shirt. Somebody ran out of gas and was towed...not naming anyone.

Saturday after HELL...great daquiris and an awesome Japanese delight dinner....oh yeah Saki. Town shuts down sooner than you would expect but it's probably better that they did. Great time I think by all. Other guests were very friendly and previous Donz ownersi. Good times!

Sunday....went to buy a battery with a great guy named Billy. Not a Donzi owner but is now "christened" SeaDog. Went to McDonalds for a McMuffin....bad mistake. 25 mins later we arrive back at the dock. Boat runs great. Wind died down about 50% to say......15mph. We get 20 or so miles in and my fuel pump is deader than King Tut and I am drifting. Again Capt'n Steve tows my ass 3/4 milr to the boat ramp. Tie up the boat and leave the wife for ANOTHER ride with Capt'n Steve. 35 mins later we are at the lock. Pull the boats, G-bye and now head back tp my wife and boat at the ramp. Go pull in and some Exploer filld truck pulls up and backs down the ramp before I could make my move. Then they spend what seemed like a week undoing straps etc and backing it down the ramp. Finally they pull out and I back dowm the ramp. I step out and step ON a dead fish Almost killing myself besides the flies. Slide boat onto trailer like I should and leave. Driving just north of Punta Gorda nd a geta "beep" and low and behold my friend Billy is passing us. Glad to see he enjoyed a few more hours at the beach than us.

For some reason I can not edit....read it for what it is. It WAS a great time I think. So I broke down....who cares, it was a great time and can't wait for the next one....even if in Orlando :)

Please post some pics, etc. Iwill e-mail back etc. Thanks again everyone for coming....lets do it again soon please.

I will let everyone know what my dilema was...my $$ is on the fuel pump.

Thanks again............see you SEADOGS soon!!!!!

bertsboat
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
And?....... Leave us hanging with " stopped for a egg McMuffin,,,,bad mistake"
did I miss something?
sounds like a good time was had by all. Can't wait to hear about the ride home.
Bert

biggiefl
05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
This McDonalds was the size of a large Greek Diner. when reading my post it says....."25 minutes later". Heck we could have went to ANYWHERE and sat down for breakfast and got out quicker than 25mins standing in line @ McD's.....no sir.

Tidbart
05-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Here are some photos. Sorry, couldn't take more.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=167

I have some very short videos that I need to resize in order to load. Once I get that figured out, I will load them up.

B

Tidbart
05-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Some vids, more to come............

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68722-Fort-Myers-2013-Videos&p=638941&posted=1#post638941

Jeremy E
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
How do I get permission to view?

biggiefl
05-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm not allowed either.

Tidbart
05-07-2013, 04:34 PM
How do I get permission to view?

What can't you see, the photos, the vids, or both?

B

Tidbart
05-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Try here for the vids: http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/3707-Fort-Myers-Beach-trip-May-3-5-2013?p=33663#post33663

SHhhh.:rlol:

fegettes
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Bob, clicking on your link, it tells me I am not logged in.

Tidbart
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Bob, clicking on your link, it tells me I am not logged in.

Which link, and are you logged on? The last link is to the .org site.

Tidbart
02-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Let's try this again..........:biggrin.:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?69652-OWW-to-Fort-Myers-Beach-May-2-4th-2014&p=648760#post648760

Bob