PDA

View Full Version : No replacement for displacement?

Tony
01-11-2013, 09:07 PM
The folks at Volvo Penta would respectfully disagree.
It's an interesting article, with some pretty dramatic comparisons.
I especially liked the analogy of booting an NFL lineman off your swim platform...

http://boatingworld.com/Engines/Article/Downsized--and-Upgraded

VetteLT193
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
I trend to like Merc because volvo changes their underwear too often. (i.e. If you have a bravo drive you are getting the same technology they introduced in 1988 so parts are everywhere.)

However, these new Volvo engines look bad to the bone. The funniest part of it is mercs PR response is they are complicated with all the electronics... Meanwhile the are pushing the merc drive by wire like it's crack. I for one feel better with mechanical steering/throttle and a techie engine than a simple engine with high tech controls

duckhunter
01-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I am very impressed with the LS-based motors. A whole lot of significant improvements over the original SBC that's been around for 60 years. Other than some R&D stuff made of unobtanium, is there some sort of adapter to bolt one of these to a Bravo?

Seems like a lightly-stressed 400 horse 6.0 LS / bravo combo would be the heat in an 18. Or my 21 for that matter...

mattyboy
01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Tony,

some other testing on the volvo 380

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68066-two-new-engine-packages-very-interesting&highlight=

Ghost
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
I am very impressed with the LS-based motors. A whole lot of significant improvements over the original SBC that's been around for 60 years. Other than some R&D stuff made of unobtanium, is there some sort of adapter to bolt one of these to a Bravo?

As far as connecting to a drive, I don't know how different the LS3 is from the L96, so maybe this is way off. But the Panther people must be using something to push Bravos with their LS3 motors, and they did only Merc drives when I talked to them. (I also wonder about the RPM they are turning, but don't claim to know if it's hopeless or not. The 450 horse is spec'd 5600rpm and the supercharged 550 horse at 6100rpm.)