PDA

View Full Version : Questions about strengthening the hull

johnny50
01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
I have a project boat I am working on and have a few questions about beefing up the rear hull and stringers. The boat is an '03 Classic 22. I will be putting a Procharged HO 496 into it and have read that the rear stringer area as well as the glass on the hull should be reinforced. . There are very few hours on the boat and there are no signs of stress cracking or crazing in the gelcoat below. What recomendations do you guys have for this and how many layers and weight of mat should be used? The motor I have is rated at 625 HP. I dont want to add weight unnecessarily to areas that are sufficiently strong or neglect areas that need more attention and know that there are some very experienced people here to help guide me!
thanks!!:canada:

yeller
01-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Donzi had a repair schedule to fix the stringer issue, but it didn't seem to work very well. If followed as recommended, it seems it always failed. Everyone I know that had this work done had to redo it and beef it up to make it work.

This layup was given to me by a very trusted member. Use it...and I'm positive you'll be safe.

Two layers of opposing weave in the pan and up to the top of the stringers. A layer of 1/2 inch Corecell coring soaked with resin and then vacuum bagged. Then two more layers of opposing weave.

roadtrip se
01-12-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a project boat I am working on and have a few questions about beefing up the rear hull and stringers. The boat is an '03 Classic 22. I will be putting a Procharged HO 496 into it and have read that the rear stringer area as well as the glass on the hull should be reinforced. . There are very few hours on the boat and there are no signs of stress cracking or crazing in the gelcoat below. What recomendations do you guys have for this and how many layers and weight of mat should be used? The motor I have is rated at 625 HP. I dont want to add weight unnecessarily to areas that are sufficiently strong or neglect areas that need more attention and know that there are some very experienced people here to help guide me!
thanks!!:canada:

Lots of chat about just this topic in this thread below. Good info...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68241-Looking-for-tips-on-a-525-project