PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs with Mag Pickup Distributor

SanDogDewey
01-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Boat came with Autolite 45's installed. Installed a Mallory Magnetic pickup distributor which required a set of suppression wires but didn't say anything about the plugs. Has anyone had any problems running a magnetic pickup distributor with non-resistor plugs?

silverghost
01-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Don't really think you need both resistor supression wire ignition cables & resistor plugs also .

They both basically do the very same noise supression job.

Run your engine and see if you hear any high voltage ignition noise on your boat's stereo, or see any noise problems with your depthfinder; if you in fact have one.

If not~~ you should be good to go with just the supression cables alone I would think ?
Running both would only serve to lower your ultimate high voltage at your spark plugs.

SanDogDewey
01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Thank you. Don't have a radio or depth finder, I was just worried about false triggers in the distributor. But I think you're right, the suppression wires should take care of the spurious EMI.

silverghost
01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
The resistor supresson wires, along with proper wire routing, should eleminate any false ignition module triggers & sparkplug mis-firing due to coss cable induction.