PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Barrel Back (Not Mine)

W.Davis
01-07-2013, 08:41 AM
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/3527586757.html

dwiggl
01-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Looks excellent for it's age. Any opinions about if it priced right?

Kirk
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Any boat of this age SHOULD have had the tank replaced, I wonder if thats the case with this boat?

Just Say N20
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
The ad, for future reference.

mattyboy
01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
excellent ?
sorry I must not be looking at the same pics.

the hull looks to have been miracle waxed except for the part of the transom under the boot stripe, the front seats look to have been re done if not correctly but not the back? the windshield is on then it is not 14.5 is high for a boat in this condition also looks like the locker was cut out to replace the tank then screwed back in with an alum saddle.

maddad
01-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Hard to tell from the pics what rails are and aren't there. The rigging under the hatch looks like it may chafe and wear some hoses and wires over time.

mattyboy
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
It looks like the rail was cut and capped just after the mid support bracket and the rail end cap on the front is missing on the starboard side for the windshield i guess??? then on the port side the rail is just gone.

the floor is a mess looks like they not only cut out the locker but then cut it into pieces then strapped it back together.

this is a 3-5k project boat at best

looks like the mill is fairly new and it does have some kind of hydraulic assist steering the rigging is unique

Just Say N20
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
I agree with Matty’s assessment.

Barrel Backs are somewhat rare, but rare doesn’t automatically translate into being “valuable.”

There is a LOT of work involved in getting this boat back into good condition.

If a person were looking to spend $14,500 on a DONZI, there are many available in much better condition. Here is a link to one available by DonziVol: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68121-1970-18-Classic-2-3

Typically, donzi.net guidelines suggest that negative comments about items in the FOR SALE section will not be tolerated. I am going easy on that guideline in this instance because the owner of the boat was not the person who posted it here. And someone asked about whether this boat represented a good value, based on it’s condition.

The discussion to this point, has been to point out observations made from looking at the pictures, and what effect those items might have on the value/price of the boat. I believe as long as the discussion is civil (comments like, “only an idiot would want an 18 with that engine/outdrive/color” aren’t civil), and accurately points out items that someone unfamiliar with DONZI classics might not notice (in this case that the stbd grab rail has been cut off just in front of what is normally the center support), there is value in the discussion.

Please be considerate when posting.

olredalert
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
----1st time I have ever seen power-steering applied in quite that manner. And it appears that the boat has a fairly irregular closed cooling system added at some point. Neither is a huge detriment, but could be problematic. Along with the other "correct" comments I would also say the boat is overpriced.......Bill S

dsparis
01-09-2013, 10:26 AM
I wonder if the std. head, pop rivet, phillips head means of securing the rub rail continues all the way around ?

Just Say N20
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I wonder if the std. head, pop rivet, phillips head means of securing the rub rail continues all the way around?

I believe you are assuming that the std. head, pop rivet, phillips head was used.

From the picture of the Donzi Marine script, all I can tell is that someone looks to have put a larger, std head screw in to replace the standard phillips, which most likely stripped out.

My boat is also a 1967, but by the time I got it, the deck had already be removed at least once. On my boat, it appears there were no pop-rivets used. The hull deck joint was all std. head wood screws, and the rubrail was all phillips head wood screws.

Not sure where you are going with this question.

mattyboy
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
one thing I would mention:

as Bill said slot head on the deck to hull and philips on the rub rail was normal from the factory

the pic of the rub rail is at the joint a common problem is they loosen up the end sticks out then they catch a rope or dock and get pulled out and the hole is stripped out.

My 16 rail looked like that . I could not find an oval head SS bolt that would sit in recessed into the rail like a screw when i thru bolted it. so I had to use a slot head bolt with washers and a nylock nut at the rail splice joints . so I did have a couple of slot heads in the mix with the phillips

Donzi Vol
01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
I agree with Matty’s assessment.

Barrel Backs are somewhat rare, but rare doesn’t automatically translate into being “valuable.”

There is a LOT of work involved in getting this boat back into good condition.

If a person were looking to spend $14,500 on a DONZI, there are many available in much better condition. Here is a link to one available by DonziVol: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?68121-1970-18-Classic-2-3

Typically, donzi.net guidelines suggest that negative comments about items in the FOR SALE section will not be tolerated. I am going easy on that guideline in this instance because the owner of the boat was not the person who posted it here. And someone asked about whether this boat represented a good value, based on it’s condition.

The discussion to this point, has been to point out observations made from looking at the pictures, and what effect those items might have on the value/price of the boat. I believe as long as the discussion is civil (comments like, “only an idiot would want an 18 with that engine/outdrive/color” aren’t civil), and accurately points out items that someone unfamiliar with DONZI classics might not notice (in this case that the stbd grab rail has been cut off just in front of what is normally the center support), there is value in the discussion.

Please be considerate when posting.

Thanks for the shout out, Bill. Mine is still for sale, and I will be updating the above link with a link to my craigslist ad. Lots more pictures.

All the best,
David