PDA

View Full Version : Smith Mountain Lake instead of Thousand Islands

John C in PA
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I've been monitoring a website that logs the water level daily at A-Bay and the level has pretty much been steadily dropping since April 2012 thru Dec 1st. 2.5' total drop. Without lotsa snow and thick ice this Winter it's gonna be ugly on the river this Summer.

As a backup plan I was considering vacationing at Smith Mountain Lake. Any of you boys live around there or frequent the lake? What do you think of boating there? Speed limits? Places to stay with a dock?

Thanks for any help you can offer. If anyone is interested I'll keep posting the river level at A-Bay.

John C in freakin' freezing PA

undertaker
12-27-2012, 08:43 AM
John we have been going to SML on vacation for the past five years, the lake is awesome very little traffic during the week, no speed limits that I am aware of or noise issues they don't hassle performance boats at all, water is warm and crystal clear, and lots of running can be done lake is 35 miles long plus many rest. on the water to boat to also....we go the second week in July every year...

We rent a house right on the lake with a dock here is the company we rent thru http://www.lakeretreat.com/vacation_rentals/ lots of houses to choose from....

About a seven hr tow for us in southeast PA but very easy tow and not a big deal at all well worth the longer tow...

Undertaker

PS As far as the Thousand Islands Chachi on the board has a house up there and is a great contact as far as water levels, knowing the area etc., we went there last yr for the first time and he was a great guide :D:D

roadtrip se
12-27-2012, 10:27 AM
I have heard a lot of great things about SML, too. Hey UT, if you know the lay of the land, or lake in this instance, how would the place be for a Donzi run?

undertaker
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Todd, SML would be a great location for a Donzi event....I have talked to Dr. Dan and others about maybe doing an event there someday.....they do have a nice size poker run on the lake every May, thinking its the same weekend as AOTH though....

John C in PA
12-27-2012, 12:56 PM
UT, Google shows 6.5 hours from the Lehigh Valley. An EZ tow with my little boat :yes:. I found plenty of places to stay including pet friendly ones. If the water level keeps low in the Thousand Is. I won't even be able to reach the ship channel. Time will tell but I still would like to get there this year. W'ere both going to be retired by July so a weekday trip should work out for us. RTSE, good idea. I'd make the tow.

As for Ken, you know you can't trust those Italian guys. Oops, what am I saying :confused: When we were at the river this past August I stopped by his cabin as its not far from Clayton where we were staying. The site I'm using is courtesy of your tax dollars and is monitored daily. I tapped the prop on my cuddy a fewtimes in August getting from the ramp to the channel. And the level is down another 12" from then.

John C

Ghost
12-27-2012, 01:18 PM
SML looks like a great place to me. Also would *think* a mid-late season visit would be ideal, in terms of weather and water temp, but don't know for certain.

duckhunter
12-27-2012, 08:13 PM
I've heard great things about SML. My parents just sold their house on neighboring Kerr Lake. Really pretty country out there - just watch "Moonshiners" for a peek.

Looks like 9 hrs from Huntsvegas, definitely "do-able" for an event.

need for speed
12-27-2012, 08:45 PM
As for the Islands lets hope for the water to start rising soon!..:bawling:
I just bought a home on the river late last summer down river from A-bay so hope to see some island pep this summer!!>:

Phil S
12-28-2012, 12:39 AM
..a good buddy of mine grew up next to that lake (Dang Hokie), and has spent a lot of time putting his one foot in...blah, blah, blah...

He still has family there, hauls his boat there every summer for a vacation, and swears it is one of the most beautiful lakes in the Southeast. I've not been there, but from what he tells me, I want to go.

Phil S.

undertaker
12-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Need is this a summer home or did you go from warm weather to colder weather???

Thousand Islands is awesome hope to get there this summer....

undertaker
12-28-2012, 07:26 AM
I agree with SML being one of the nicest lakes in the south, what I really like about it is you have warm temps, and very warm water (bathtub like in July) BUT you also have mountains as your scenic backdrop around the lake....very cool....and the people down there are extremly friendly.

I have been to many lakes over the yrs (Lake George, NY, Lake Winni, Lake Cumberland, Lake Champlain, Raystown Lake, Lake Wallenpaupack, Lake Hopatacong) and in my opinion its the second best of those right behind Lake George, NY....

We have the winter months to talk about an event let me see if I can round up some of the characters I run with and see what we can put together....

Undertaker

SMLDONZI
12-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Undertaker summed it up perfectly about Smith Mountain Lake. Of course I'm partial because I keep my 18 there. Its definitely a great place for an event--big, deep water, mountains, lodging and dockspace for groups. The Poker run in May is alot of fun and the location that hosts it has dock capacity for about 75 boats.

John C in PA
12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
SMLDONZI mentioned the key: there is dock space for groups. I'm in for a meet.

John C in PA

CHACHI
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Guys, one of my neighbors dropped me a note to let me know the water is going up..

Don't know why, but I will take it.

I of course will keep you all posted.

Ken

Ed Donnelly
12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Ken; I'm peeing as much as I can as our sewage ends up in Lake Ontario. As we all know Lake Ontario is the start of the St.Lawrence..Ed

John C in PA
12-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Ken, you gonna let my crack about believing Italians go without a smart comeback :cistineb:?

From the charts I'm reading (at least the last 4 years) the river level bottoms out in December and then starts rising.

John C

CHACHI
12-29-2012, 06:35 AM
John, you can't trust them, so I have been told.

Ed, thanks for you support, You are a giver.

Ken